Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2014, 07:47   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
What are experiences of live aboard in Florida's Loggerhead Marinas?

My three year plan has my catamaran on annual slip fees based in Stuart. Loggerhead seems like it has many choices and good value. Any feedback?
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2014, 04:55   #2

Re: What are experiences of live aboard in Florida's Loggerhead Marinas?

I've never had my boat there, but I have checked them all out (in SE Florida). The cable and wifi aren't available at all of them. I don't think Lake Worth has slip for catamaran. Most of them have older wooden docks, I actually built the new Big Loggerhead in Riviera Beach, but it doesn't have any wet slips.
The best thing Loggerhead Marinas has going is their locations and price. I'm looking for a slip right now, but that's not an option.
Sweet Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2014, 08:56   #3

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Sunset Bay Marina is right around the corner and is much nicer. They have far more amenities then Loggerhead. I have several friends at Loggerhead and they all say the same thing:

1) The condo owners don't really want the boaters
2) The walk out to the boat is long (wasn't too bad but on the upper end for a marina that size)
3) The "outside" docks are very rolly. We were on a friends 63' Hatteras one dock in and they were rolling, but better.

I don't recall any moorings but Sunset has them.

We stayed in Jensen Beach at the Nettles Island marina for three months and it was cheaper, but no real amenities and we didn't think it was worth the $100 less vs. Sunset. We won't go back there for a long stay.

The Fort Pierce Marina is very nice. Good amenities, nice walk, fun restaurants, and of course, right by the inlet.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2014, 09:07   #4

it's getting harder and harder to find a live aboard anymore. Staying on a mooring is about the same, nowhere to dingy in. I have mainly been WPB and south. My wife and I sold our house and quit our small business and bought our boat 11 years ago. Just in time to go through 5 hurricanes. (we rode them out!). We would do it all over again, just a little smarter
Sweet Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 07:43   #5

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Revenge View Post
it's getting harder and harder to find a live aboard anymore. Staying on a mooring is about the same, nowhere to dingy in. I have mainly been WPB and south. My wife and I sold our house and quit our small business and bought our boat 11 years ago. Just in time to go through 5 hurricanes. (we rode them out!). We would do it all over again, just a little smarter
Thats what I have heard but I think that's really for southern florida only. They are enlarging marinas. We have not had difficulty finding long term marina's anywhere in Florida except with the exception of the exceptional marina's.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, florida, head, marinas