Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2013, 11:15   #1

Boat: Hylas 51 CC
Exclamation Too Tall for ICW

Is there an easy way to find a list of the marinas outside of the ICW on the east coast. I am considering a relocation of my boat from New England (the Long Island Sound) to the southeast (somewhere between Charleston SC and Coco Beach FL). At issue is a mast height of 72ft above the waterline on my boat, making all of the marinas inside of the ICW (inland of the several 65 foot bridges which line the ICW) off limits.

All information is much appreciated. Safe travels.
Hylas 51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 11:26   #2

Re: Too Tall for ICW

ActiveCaptain.com should be able to answer your questions
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 11:39   #3

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

Charleston has a couple good marinas that would fit your requirement. Charleston City Marina and Charleston Harbor Resort and Marina would both work. The City Marina is close to downtown and all that that offers. The Chas Harbor marina is on the northeast/Mt. Pleasant side of the harbor and is near the Patriots Point (USS Yorktown) park. So depends on what you are looking for.

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 11:44   #4

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I do not claim any sort of complete knowledge of these marinas, but am aware of a few. There are two in/near St Mary's GA that Im aware of and a couple in Fernandina beach, both accessed from St Mary's inlet. There are also a couple in Daytona Beach, accessed through Ponce De Leon Inlet. Been Through it, but not my favorite). Through that Same inlet there is one just before the Fixed bridge in New Symrna Beach and a small one near the inlet. The former is inside a bascule bridge but I don't think there are any height restrictions until you get to the fixed bridge. Near Cocoa Beach there are two marinas and a yacht club in Port Canaveral with no height restrictions. After going through the Bascule Bridge and the locks at Port Canaveral there is the Harbortown marina on the barge canal with no height restrictions. There are several marinas in Charleston itself with no height restrictions. There might be some Marina's in the Jacksonville area that have no height restrictions, at least for 72 feet. I have flown over Hilton Head Island and saw a marina there that appeared to be outside of any bridges. You might try looking at the Brunswick Ga area as well. That is a major port and I believe the bridge there is on the order of 100ft+, though I've never actually gone in there. The only gotcha for that area is paper mill smell.

The skipper bob marinas along the Atlantic ICW is pretty good for listing them, the trick is knowing which ones are outside of the fixed bridges. Activecaptain is a pretty good source of knowledge as well.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 12:00   #5

Boat: Boatless

Our mast is 76 ft and finding east coast marinas has never been a problem. Almost all major inlets Charleston, Beaufort, Jacksonville, Augustine, St Marys, Canaveral, Riviera Beach etc have marinas outside of the first bridge.

We find ours from the Navionics charts on our plotter.

Otherwise pick a town you might be interested in and google marinas. Not hard to work out.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 04:02   #6

active captian
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 06:58   #7

Thank you Tamicatana.
Old 21-09-2013, 07:12   #8

yer welcome.

I honestly found AC to be a great resource on my ICW trip. Didn't have to spend half the day looking round at charts etc. Just had a look at AC a couple hours before the expected time in, and found exactly what I needed. More comprehensive than the Skipper Bob I also carried along, AFAIC

I used "Charts & Tides
Charts & Tides by Navimatics turns the iPhone or iPad into a NOAA vector chartplotter. It integrates tide and current prediction and has exceptional ActiveCaptain support including the ability to update and add reviews for all data."

on the iPhone, downloading/updating when I had connectivity, so I could reference when I didn't. I didn't use the chartplotter functions, however, just the AC database info
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 07:45   #9

Thanks to All,

Tamicatana, s/vPainkiller, Captain Bill, s/v Moondancer, and valhala360 your help is greatly appreciated. Smooth sailing.

Tags
icw