Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2019, 12:00   #1

Searching for closest possible options to raliegh

Hello there
I'm curious what my closest option if any for a liveaboard marina close to raliegh NC would be. I may be moving there in a few months for hopefully my last job before living on my future sailboat would be. I'm not familiar with the area and I'm not sure if there's any realistic option for me outside of a 2 hour commute to work which is less then ideal. I'd like to purchase something I need to put some work into which makes that a more difficult ask I'm sure. Maybe something up river a bit? Just testing the waters to see if I had any options to liveaboard and work in raliegh ideally a hour from downtown maybe? Any insight into that areas marinas would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Much love
Pyroprone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 13:00   #2

Re: Searching for closest possible options to raliegh

If you want access to the Sound/ocean, then Washington, NC is the closest you're going to get. I would call "less than ideal" a gross understatement in describing that commute! I know there are people who do it, but I would never give up four hours of my day just going back and forth to work!

There may be places on Falls Lake or Jordan Lake, but to my knowledge there is no navigable path to the ocean from either.

Good luck, whatever you do.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 13:06   #3

Hey thanks for the insight
I figured that was the case unfortunately.
I was considering buying used at first but I think I'll go back to my original plan of building a wharram then when it's time to leave haul it to wherever I end up launching from. Could always buy a used one of them and do the same and spend that time fixing whatever needs done. But if I'm going wood I want it to be a new build.
Ps I'm aware of the task at hand as far as building goes.
Much love and thanks again.
Pyroprone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 18:22   #4

Alas, we looked at the same thing. There is simply no getting around the geography of North Carolina. There are some great maritime towns...From North to South: Elizabeth City, Edenton, Washington, New Bern, Oriental and Wilmington. All are nearly the same time to get to at about 2 hours 15 minutes depending on traffic and where you live in or around Raleigh. There simply are not closer choices if you still want to be able to sail to deep water. We considered a small piece of property on Jordan Lake or Fells Lake; and then truck it to the sea when you are ready to leave. Not the cheapest choice, but possible. We ended up ditching the research triangle as an option because of its proximity to our boating interests. JEB
Jebtrois is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc