Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 19:14   #1

San Diego Slip Recommendations?

Newbie here :-)
Hubby and I are about to close on a 30' sailboat and we're looking for a slip near Shelter Island in San Diego. Not live aboard, but we would like a nice place to hang out while not sailing around. Based on what I've read so far, it seems Shelter Island is better than Harbor Island because of noise/jet fuel soot for HI. We're just looking for a nice (clean) place to keep our new baby that has easy access to the SD Bay and not too far from the blue. Walking distance to restaurants, etc would be great. We live in Carlsbad so the drive down to National City is a non-starter (even though the marina is really nice down there).
I read some old posts comparing Shelter Island Marina to Kona Kai and wonder if anyone has updated information (does Kona still have icky bathrooms??). Is it really tough to get into/out of the slips at SIM?
The fees at the new Point Loma marina are out of range for us. Can't find anything online that shows slip rental fees for Kona Kai. SIM seems to be charging the going rate.
Any suggestions/recommendations/war stories much appreciated! Thanks :-)
sdgirlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 07:13   #2

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Re: San Diego Slip Recommendations?

I thought I would put this out there again as I also have about the same question.... would like to know the marina in San Diego with the best "boat social life"... as I will be marina based for a number of years before being able to head out... San Diego is boiling up as a likely destination to land while the Ks finish High School.... All input is appreciated !!

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 02:27   #3

Boat: Columbia 34 mkii

Shelter Island and the Kona Kai are both much better than Harbor Island. Our boat is at the Kona Kai.They have an agreement with the Island Palm Resort now that allows us to use their bathrooms (which are pretty nice). Your fees at the Kona will be close to $550 per month. Restaurants are kind of far to walk to from here (about a mile)
Old 13-01-2013, 06:48   #4

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat

Ahoy Bajacch,

Thanks... I guess the Jet noise is not as bad over at Shelter Island and the Kona Kai eh...

Do they slips wide enough for a Catamaran (25') or do they have ends available at reasonable rates?

What do folks think of the commercial docks over at G Street in the shadows of the USS Midway ? Those docks look a good bit less "classy" than the ones just down the way at the Marriott... Can an non-Commercial vessel get a slip there?

I stayed a couple of days over the Holiday at the Hyatt over looking those docks at the Marriott... looks like a nice "happening" place but not much boat life... kinda sterile.... I think we would be happier down with the fishermen :-)
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 15:25   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcook View Post
I thought I would put this out there again as I also have about the same question.... would like to know the marina in San Diego with the best "boat social life"... as I will be marina based for a number of years before being able to head out... San Diego is boiling up as a likely destination to land while the Ks finish High School.... All input is appreciated !!

Cheers
Try Sun Harbor, not cheap but great facilities including pump out at every slip. Social gatherings every month. No liveboards though. Lots of food within spitting distance.
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote