Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2007, 09:35   #1

Boat: Sabre 42
Need marina on East Coast

Hi...

So... I have closed on the boat of my desires. She's a cute C&C 34... and is on the hard right now. I need a few things done before we splash her... but then where she is (Sandy Hook Harbour, NJ) is pretty expensive ($800 per month). My goal is not to pay that much for a slip, or a mouring... and have been trying to find some place to put her. I am not having much luck... so I thouight I would ask you all for some help.

My parameters are:
  • Not more than a week's sail from Sandyhook Bay south (more bikini friendly climate)... which means probably within 400 miles.
  • 34' long, 11' beam, 4.5' draft.
  • Cost below $300 per month (if I have to do a season, then I would like it to be less)
  • Fairly convient to airport.
  • Slip, or mouring
So... I am not asking someone to do my research for me. I have been to Marinamate.Com which is good... but it takes forever to call everyone on the list. It has taken me a week to call the marina's in NJ, because I can only do it over lunch (I work the same hours most marinas do)... and often their e-mails don't work.

I just would like to see if someone has any good suggestions for places i should look into.

Thanks for your help... this forum has proven to be priceless.
Old 19-04-2007, 10:58   #2

How about this place?
Stingray Point Marina
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 12:18   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
You need to be out of the big city areas to get rates that low. Being close to major metro areas costs you a lot more money. About double I would say at best.

The Lower Chesapeake is not expensive yet the northern bay can be. If you can get south half way you can stay in the water all year. You'll get a lot of close destinations and plenty of access to good coastal waters. With direct access to the Atlantic via Cape May at the north and Cape Henry / Cape Charles to the south and the ICW via Norfolk/Portsmouth. In between is about 250 miles of nice places.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 15:10   #4

Boat: Chartercats, Prowlercub, 42'
berth possibilities

How do you feel about the lower Chesapeake? Conside Southall Landings Marina in Hampton VA. Ask for Jerry(dockmaster) 757-850-9229. Well sheltered, agood acess to the Bay and ocean, relatively cheap.
Thanna5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2007, 11:11   #5

Thanna...do you have any recent experience getting in there? I had heard that the entrance to SaltPonds had shoaled up pretty good. Any idea of current depths?
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2007, 13:23   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Salt Ponds is much better now. It was at one point difficult nad very narrow even last summer. It has been dredeged out quite a bit but I don't know the actual depth off hand. I did run aground right at the entrance a good long time ago and what made me mad was we had called on the telephone and they said they had 6 ft but when we got there is was less than 5ft. There was no way we could get in there.

A friend that needs 4 ft.6 in says he can get in and out any time now. So it has to have been dredged last fall. If you get more serious about that marina let me know and i can call my friend that is there. Not sure if he has been out yet but he could tell me straight.
Old 21-04-2007, 07:17   #7

Boat: Chartercats, Prowlercub, 42'
Salt Ponds

I mustadmit I haven't been into Salt Ponds in 3 seasons; they have ongoing dredging at the inlet . Depending on the weather however, there can be a 2-3 ft tidal variation in the southern bay. Just call the dockmaster at 757 850 9929, or contact Jeff at Hampton Marine Services 757 898 5209...They are located behind Salt Ponds Marina, and would know up to date conditions.
Thanna5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2007, 08:10   #8

Boat: Sabre 42
Thanks you all for the suggestions. The Stingray Point Marina looks pretty reasonable... and I am going to check out the Southhall Landings marina too. Both look to be something I am interested it.

Thanks again... much appreciated. I knew I could count on you good people for assistance.
Old 25-04-2007, 15:17   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The only problem with being in Hampton is you can't sail any place close. At least Salt Ponds is heading you into friendly waters.

At Stingray Point you would have access to most of the best of the southern Chesapeake in all 4 directions close. The James River is too shallow and has too much traffic and the far south end of the Bay is all traffic as well. Between the US Navy Atlantic Fleet and the commercial traffic it's not easy being the give way vessel. There isn't many places you can go within less than a day. Flying in and out of Richmond is easier getting to the boat by car than from Norfolk. The facilities in both are nice though. You may have less availability in Hampton so check that part out. They got rid of personal property tax on boats in Hampton, but may be giving up on that plan too.

Tags
east coast