Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2007, 08:52   #1

need marina north of Norfolk, VA

We are looking for a marina (or marinas) to leave our boat from approx. May to November, maybe a little less.
It has to be on or near the ICW, north of Norfolk and easy to access by public transport, which would link to a Greyhound bus terminal.

thanks in advance,
liz
lancs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:13   #2

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
Check Solomons. There are several excellent well protected and fairly inexpensive marinas. We are at the Calvert Marina and recommend them.
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:58   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
It might help if you post more details about the boat.

This is a half day north of Norfolk called "Severn River Marina" (not the Severn River in Annapolis it's the real one).

Severn River Marina Home

Wormley Creek in Yorktown is another one that is cheap. Severn River isn't that near the bus line but hitching a ride in and out isn't that hard. With the money you save in slip fees you could rent a car anytime you came. The nice part of this marina is all the slips are big so you can be sure you'll ride out a nasty storm easy. I rode out Isabelle there. It's a big yard so you can haul and do work yourself easily as well as hire anything done you might want.

For a cheap marina you need to be not around Norfolk, Portsmouth, Virginia beach or Hampton. Once you get north of the James River the next places are in and around the York River. Since I live here the above are the cheapest I know of for a very long way. North of that is Deltaville and they are not all that cheap since folks from Richmond like that location and you are a full day sail away from Norfolk. Solomons I don't think is cheap and now you are two long days away from Norfolk. You will find the farther north you go the more expensive are the slips.

I would not want to leave my boat south of Norfolk for the summer. The hurricane risk increases a whole lot once you get to NC.

Draft can be an issue in many places. The Severn is deep water all the way as would be several others. Wormley Creek is only 4 ft -6 in. low tide.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:10   #4

Boat: Catalina 387 - Magical Dreamer
Severn is nice. You may also want to look into Salt ponds Resort & Marina. They are nice to deal with, and have floating docks. No problems with storms and are "live aboard friendly". Although it is illeagle to live aboard in Hampton, as long as you are only on there 364 nights a year or less you are not living aboard.

But both of those are limited on the public transportation. Heck this whole area has very limited public transportation system. I know of very few ways you can get around via "HRT - Hampton Roads Transit" http://www.gohrt.com/ Downtown Hampton on the Hampton river has a couple of marina's in it, and they would have more access to Public transit. If you are millitary, you might want to check into Little Creek Amfib. Base, they have docks for private vessels owned by military personel.

If you have more questions, I hope I can help.
Doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 13:51   #5

Thanks everyone,

you've given me some great leads. I'll follow up as soon as we get home.

I really appreciate the help
liz
lancs is offline   Reply With Quote