Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2014, 09:36   #1

Marinas in Annapolis

In Spring I am taking my 44ft sailboat to Annapolis. Any suggestions on haulout/storage facilities that allow some small DIY projects.

Also looking for someplace to keep the boat in the water while I am gone for a couple of months. A slip would be preferred.

Thanks

Tom
tomeclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 04:14   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Marinas in Annapolis

Check Active Captain, and then report back which exact area you might be most interested in. Back Creek is popular for closer to Annapolis; the South River has some options but that's further from town. Or there's Galesville (West River) or Deale if by "Annapolis" you meant "sorta kinda in the general vicinity of the Bay and east of D.C."

-Chris
Old 17-12-2014, 05:00   #3

Chris:

I posted my question after I had been overwhelmed by all the info on Active Captain. What I couldn't figure out from Active Captain was what yards allow some DIY and how prices compare. And ...if any of the marinas allow or don't allow short-term (1-3 weeks) liveaboard.

I will have a car so I don't have to be close to the town. It would be nice to be within 10 miles of a West Marine store. Are the marina/yard prices lower away from town?

Thank you for your input.

Tom
s/v Eclipse
tomeclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 05:50   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Fair enough. I think you have to actually contact marinas for pricing info, but I'd suggest you maybe look at Bert Jabin's, Annapolis Landing, and Port Annapolis on Back Creek to see if they mention whether allow DIY. If not listed, that might require direct contact, too.

Holiday Point on the South River would be another possible choice. Both convenient to WMs (and Fawcett's nearer the Back Creek places), although the WM in Edgewater (closest to Holiday Point) isn't huge. Liberty Marina further up the South River might be another choice to check.

Herrington Harbor North in Deale has an on-site WM, in case you're willing to be that far away from Annapolis. Great marina.

Yes, prices on the South River (for example) are generally lower than Back Creek.

I doubt anyone even notices that kind of short-term liveaboards, but I think several (maybe most) of those marinas may have some full-time liveaboards anyway.

-Chris
Old 17-12-2014, 08:35   #5

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomeclipse View Post
Chris:

I posted my question after I had been overwhelmed by all the info on Active Captain. What I couldn't figure out from Active Captain was what yards allow some DIY and how prices compare. And ...if any of the marinas allow or don't allow short-term (1-3 weeks) liveaboard.

I will have a car so I don't have to be close to the town. It would be nice to be within 10 miles of a West Marine store. Are the marina/yard prices lower away from town?

Thank you for your input.

Tom
s/v Eclipse
Active Captain shows some of the prices but more importantly, it lists the phone numbers and websites of the marinas so you can find out anything you need to know from the website or by calling them on the phone.

If money is a concern, the Annapolis area is not the least expensive area for marinas or anything else. You might save a lot by moving a few miles away.

Tags
annapolis, marinas