Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 23:48   #1

Marina Recommendations Near Boston

I'm looking for a marina for the summer 2013 season, within a 1 hour drive from Boston Airport. If anyone has a recommendation please let me know.

Thanks,
michael
svfinnishline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 00:44   #2

Boat: Catalina 310
What size boat? Does it matter if it is north or south? What kind of amenities (pool, restaurants, etc.) do you want?
Old 02-11-2012, 07:27   #3

Re: Marina Recommendations Near Boston

44' LOA, 7.2' draft. Not really fused north or south. Showers & heads on land, power and water at the dock, walking distance to grocery stores, restaurants would great. Something within an hour (or so) of Boston Logan would be great as I will be flying into Logan from time to time to use the boat. Thanks, m
svfinnishline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:10   #4

Boat: Catalina 310
Ok, than I would recommend south of Boston. If you go north you might have problems with provisions within walking distance.

One place would be Marina Bay in Quincy. It is a well protected marina with a large breakwater. The approach channel is about 10-13 feet iirc. There are plenty of restaurants and a small general store for provisioning. This is close to Boston, about 30 minutes without traffic but there is always traffic. The channel is narrow and very shallow immediately outside of the channel. It is well marked. We spent a night there with friends recently and it was very nice.

But the real place that meets your list is Hingham Shipyard. This is my current marina and you can't beat the location. It is a little further south but the commuter boat from Boston comes in at the marina. So you could take a water taxi from Logan to the commuter boat and the commuter boat to the dock. Less than $10 per person. There a four restaurants right there that you can walk to. Two full grocery stores, one is Fresh Market with unbelievable fresh meat and seafood. The other is Stop and Shop which has really good prices for the area. There is also three marine stores within walking distance. The cost is about $135 a foot for the full season but they will do a prorated amount for less than a full season. Or more if you are like me and stay longer. It is a full service yard and you can winter for $55/foot for pull, pressure wash, storage and launch with a 10% discount if you do the full year. The down side is they can be very expensive for service. You can bring in your own guys but they have to pay the yard fee. You can do your own work including sanding and painting the bottom.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:20   #5

Constitution Marina in Charlestown is right in the harbor and very protected and close to everything.
Perhaps a little more pricey but you know have a condo in town

A great boating community and pretty active dock life
Whaubner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:23   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Marina Recommendations Near Boston

We enjoy the Constitution Marina when we stop in Boston and it should be on your list of possibilities, though we are only occasional transients cruising by and we don't know of all the possibilities.