Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2005, 09:59   #1

Marina in West Florida

We plan to come to Florida Gulf coast in March/April 06 to fit our boat: watermaker, wind generator, stainless steel work, diving equipment etc.
We are looking for an affordable marina accepting catamarans: 46ftL x 25ft W x 4ftD. Not looking for any fancy amenities, but a reliable address for fedex/UPS, accomodating for work on the boat...
We would be staying about one month.

Any suggestion?

Cheers,
Old 22-10-2005, 10:52   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The way this hurricane season is going, there may not be a Marina in west Florida, or even a West Florida ...
Sorry, sick humor, I suppose.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2005, 19:47   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Gord, you are perhaps more accurate than you meant. I wouldn't be putting down deposits just yet to reserve a spot.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2006, 04:49   #4

Boat: Alura 30
marinas

Hi Claire
Tampa Bay was spared by hurricanes last year,there are probably several Marinas that can handle your Cat.JC.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2006, 07:04   #5

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Most marinas within Tampa Bay are unavailable due to waiting lists and the condo-conversion of Bahia Beach. Salt Creek yard in St. Petersburg still operates for DIY work if you need haul-out, but no slips.

Your best bet may be just south of the Bay entrance on the Manatee River, Twin Dolphin marina in Bradenton or another directly across the river from Twin Dolphin in Palmetto. No bridges up to that point.

There's another small marina closer to the mouth of the river but I can't recall the name.

Good luck - bring yer checkbook
Old 26-01-2006, 07:57   #6

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Claire:

There are still a range of marinas in Tampa Bay area, tho' they are steadily dwindling due to waterfront development. When considering your projects, necessary vendors & the desirability of mixing some fun with the boatwork, I'd recommend TB over Ft. Myers, Punta Gorda and Bradenton areas...altho' they all would work. Let me zoom in on the TB area...

If you want inexpensive berthing, I suspect you're only real option is going to be a private dock behind a house or motel. The marinas are full even out of season, so you'll need to plan on paying guest dockage rates for a marina slip. At the N end of the county, I'd suggest you contact Clearwater Muni Marina. Good basics, attractive location across from the beach & along a main drag, and easy access to the Gulf. OTOH this is 'strip mall city', traffic is clogged at times and vendors are spread out. Ross Yacht Yard was a common source of talented boat workers but it recently closed (condos).

At the S end of the peninsula, Isla del Sol & Tierre Verde, the marinas are not well situated and some of them suffer from surge. A better option is the quiet community of Gulfport on Boca Ciega Bay & Gulfport's Muni Marina, tho' again you are in the boonies relatively speaking. Nice marina, well protected...but not sure they could handle your beam.

Inside Tampa Bay, the big player is St. Pete Muni Marina in St. Pete - great location in many respects but starting a dock refurb project now in the N Basin. Give them a call and see if they can work out a temporary berth; advance arrangements are probably critical. Further S in downtown is the Harborage Marina, private and adjacent to the Salt Creek boatyards. If you have a YC membership, perhaps you could arrange berthing with the St. Pete YC tho' their marina is small and popular. Across the
Bay is Ruskin's hole in the wall marina; w-a-y remote and also full last I heard.

Trying to make St. Pete work is worth the effort. The city has a free looping bus service non-stop (easier way to get to the nearby WM Express store than using your car), the venue of parks, concerts, museums (Dali museum & excellent Fine Arts museum plus others immediately available), Cinema-plex and lots more are right at your doorstep. If you want to take a break from marina life & cost, the other side of the Pier is the Vinoy Basin with protected 2-week anchoring permitted - and rarely full. Two large WM stores are nearby and, for your stainless work, JTR is the favorite metal shop to use - huge machines, excellent quality, good value prices but plan to get in line. (JTR is a bike ride from Gulfport's marina, as well).

Fallback options would be Bradenton (second best) and then the Punta Gorda area further S (less best), both with local yachtie infrastructure, WM stores and anchoring options nearby.

Good luck with the research. Where is the boat and where is she headed?

Jack
Old 26-01-2006, 17:05   #7

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
Claire,
The condo-ization of Fort Myers is nearly complete ... so there is virtually nowhere for you to berth a boat here. If you were looking for a "do-it-yourself" yard, the nearest one is Glades Boatyard, 36 miles upriver in Moore Haven. Uh ... of course they were bought in November, and in an effort to get rid of the riff-raff, they simply doubled the cost of everything!!! If you're looking for quality workmanship from others in the area, I can provide dozens of names to avoid ... gee ... wish I could think of one to recommend ... Hmmm Chris Marek of Ocean rigging is pretty darn good ... uh ... that's it. Glad I do my own work ... really looking forward to leaving the "boating capital" of the USA :-)

Bob & Lynn
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2006, 09:47   #8

Thanks, what about the East coast?

Thank you for this very useful feedback, particularly, thanks to markpj23 and euro cruiser. I am emailing all the marinas you mention for availability and fees.

Should we even consider the East coast as an alternative, or is it much more expensive everywhere?

btw, we are currently on the Rio Dulce, awaiting the end of the worst of the winter cold temperatures and cold fronts, before heading North.

Cheers,

Claire
Old 30-01-2006, 06:47   #9

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Claire, I'd encourage you to SkypeOut or otherwise telephone the marinas of interest. Rarely are the ones I mentioned diligent (or even adept) at responding via email and, more importantly given your needs, talking thru the opportunities with them personally will probably contribute greatly to meeting your needs.

www.skype.com

You will have many more choices along FL's east coast. Whether to reconsider that option would, for me, depend on whether I was heading further N along that coast or not.

Jack
Old 30-01-2006, 13:58   #10

Euro cruiser,

Unfortunately, our marina, on the Rio Dulce, hasn't yet been able to provide good enough Internet access for an acceptable skype use. This is a pity, as we have happily used skype in most other places in the Caribbean.

On the positive side, I have already received 2 replies: one from Twin Dolphin marina and another from the Clearwater marina.
Same price range: around $1000 base fee, adding up to around $1350 with misc, taxes and live-aboard fees. One wants a one month deposit now to reserve a spot, the other is first come first served.

We are not planning to go further North. As soon as we are done with the chores, we'll head back South. But I have a feeling that marina space will be rare on the West coast.

Cheers,

Tags
florida