Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2020, 11:33   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Looking for Affordable Good Marina in North Carolina

Correct, no haul out marinas. Marinas in New Bern proper do not have haul out.

Haul out is across the river at Bridgewater Marine. You would need a car there. 10 minutes from Downtown New Bern. A very nice little city.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 11:39   #17

Boat: May Flower 48 - Stadel 48
Send a message via Skype™ to Jack C

We came from RI to New Bern in 2011 and were there until 2018 when we left for the Med. We were at New Bern Grand and then at Bridgepointe which unfortunately got destroyed in last Hurricane. In New Bern, the great live aboard marinas do not have boatyards. If you want a low cost but Hurricane safe boatyard where you can work on your boat then look at Hurricanes in Pamlico. You will need a car, its 40 minutes or so from New Bern. For a marina/boatyard look at Duck Creek. problem here is depth. Wind tides can have you stranded. Excellent protection. I would avoid Oriental, prices and more vulnerable Hurricane wise. Bridgeton Marina is across the river from New Bern. Pretty exposed. New Bern Grand is located right downtown. They are pushing selling slips and residents take second place. There is a small marine downtown on the Neuse attached to a BP gas station. Never met anyone who could recommend it. Up the Trent river past the highway bridge is another marina for motor boats and short masts. New Bern is great, marinas affordable but brutally hot and humid in summer with spectacular thunderstorms. Great people. Winters and shoulder seasons are great. Draught greater than 5' 6" means some mud groundings. Air height limited to 65'. Lots of places to explore. Checkout Active Captain. If Bridgepointe marina gets rebuilt, I would highly recommend it. One of the best Marinas around.
Jack C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 12:29   #18

I have had good experience with both Deaton and Sailcraft recently. We keep our in Pecan Grove Marina in Oriental and really enjoy it there. It is also well protected.
Cccreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 12:44   #19

Boat: Island Packet 350

I’m not experienced with the new owners of Sailcraft but highly recommend it if it’s still operated as the previous owner did. Also, everyone I know who cruises through NC loves the quaint town of Oriental.
sailorman7225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 12:49   #20

Be aware that Deltaville, VA is located in a county with a higher personal property tax on boats vs the surrounding counties.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 13:47   #21
Marine Service Provider

Bock Marine on Core Creek near Beaufort, N.C. is a reasonably priced, DIY yard with good facilities and friendly people. Talk to Kenny or Nancy Bock
John Mardall
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 14:26   #22

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwaldrop13 View Post
If you're open to more rural areas, Belhaven Marina in Belhaven NC is highly recommended. I was pretty impressed with the Oriental marinas when out there boat shopping as well.
Oriental is a very nice area. Slip rents generally run around $250 to $350 per month or more depending on the size of your vessel. Upriver a ways is Wayfarers cove marina. It is a good DYI boat yard and an excellent hurricane hole.
If you are just looking for a place to stash your boat the cheapest I found in that area is Point Marina which is off the Neuse river about a mile up Broad Creek passed River Dunes. Point Marina is $175 To $250 a month with a very nice clubhouse including laundry. Downside is it’s about 10 miles from anything Oriental.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 23-04-2020, 14:35   #23

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Damn! Sorry to hear that about Sailcraft. There is another yard right across the creek called Deaton. Perhaps they are still around.

Deaton’s is still there after 40 years. I have had work done at both sailcraft and Deaton‘s and even when Alan had sailcraft I still preferred Deaton‘s. I think Deaton’s may have been a little pricier but their work was always very high-quality. I had a couple of problems with Sailcraft.
Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 23-04-2020, 17:28   #24

Boat: Catalina 425 42'

+1 for New Bern Grand Marina. I've got my boat there and love it. They're still working on repairing the Doubletree hotel from Florence but it should be done later this summer. The amenities in walking distance are outstanding.
twininghams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 18:32   #25

Boat: Passport 42
Send a message via AIM to CelestialMelody

One of the best Marinas I have ever stayed at is Northwest Creek Marina, also in New Bern. The staff pay great attention to all the boats, whether stored(in water), live aboard or home base Marina. It is well protected in great location, easy access to Neuse River with no bridges. The only possible downside is that it is not in the immediate proximatety to downtown. That being said it is in New Bern with good resources and nearby airport.
CelestialMelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 03:59   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingFreedom View Post
All,

I currently have my boat in Boston, MA and would like to move it farther south for several reasons, but the main reason being cost savings.

I am thinking that North Carolina might be a good landing spot due to fact that within a couple of years I plan on becoming a full time live-aboard and cruiser.

Does anyone out there have good insight on Marinas in the NC area that are affordable, have capability to support haul out of a 45 FT 30,000+ LBS boat and allows for onsite Storage & DIY work.

If you do, please respond with Marina Name and Area and I will check them out.

Thanks in advance for your insight and help.

Finding Freedom

Hi, You might want to look at Anchors Away https://anchorsawayboatyard.com

they may well be the best at hauling and leaving your boat on shore for extended periods price wise. That said I have also spent two decades in and around Southport, NC and have used Charlie Perry's for all of my maintenance and things I did not want to do myself. There are several marinas within a mile or so either way, should be in the 350-425 range. I also stayed several years in Carolina Beach at the Federal Point Yacht Club. It's a close dingy ride or even a walk to the Boardwalk, food and bars all around if you like the night life, but far enough away you can't hear them. Try renting a slip from an individual owner instead of the Marina for long term. About 10 bucks a foot for 35 or 45 ft slips. They have everything but a lift, but one is just down the ICW a couple of miles.

You want way cheaper try Oriental, NC. a laid back little town but it has a nice place to eat and drink right on the waterfront. And never forget Beaufort, NC.......a bit pricier maybe but really a nice place to stay.
33trippindaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 11:36   #27

I have my boat at Wilmington Marine Center near downtown Wilmington,N.C. It is a very protected marina on the Cape Fear River. Has haul out, but don't know if they allow diy. There is a boat yard a few miles away that does ( Cape Fear Boat Works). Slip rates @ Wilmington Marine are $15 ft. for less than 4 months or $12 ft. for 4 or more months. Mike the dock master is is nice and very helpful.
johnleeknot2bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 03:54   #28

Boat: Morgan-NM 454 (45')

Thanks for all the great info. I have started contacting marinas in the NC area to try and secure a location for this fall. I am hoping to find a marina that will meet my security (Safe Yard - Secure Location) as well as meet my weather protection concerns during a hurricane season. It seems that many of the marinas in NC are fairly well protected and far enough inland to keep boats safe. Finally, I also want to make sure that any marina I chose will meet draft requirements during low/slack tide that i can get in and out safely.

Again, thanks for your great insight.
Finding Freedom
FindingFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 17:59   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43

Northwest Creek Marina - outstanding!!!
malyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:01   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Sailcraft Service in Oriental, NC - Alan is a great guy and has an awesome crew. I was also there about 7 years ago so...

New Bern Grand Marina - again, lived there about 7 years ago but it was a cheap, great marina that was walking/biking distance to all of New Bern. Wonderful amenities as you share with the hotel on site.
Alan sold the marina a few years ago. It’s owned by a couple with mostly powerboat experience.

New Bern is great. The only negative is its about 4 hours to the ocean.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
north carolina