Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2008, 02:56   #31
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I agree David.......Received my 6 x 8D AGM Fullriver batteries today and loaded them onto the boat (89kg a piece)

Now I know how Quasimodo felt.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2008, 19:29   #32
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
deleted by me double post
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2008, 19:30   #33
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Inner Harbor Marina in Baltimore (by the Rusty Scupper).....It looks like they kicked most all of the boats out of there....I guess they are hoping on transients?

No...not the kind with raincoats and paperbags...tho' there are a few around there
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 21:07   #34

Boat: MacGregor, MAC 25
A bit of Good News

Though I am land locked, I do have a wonderful Marina. I sail out of Bayview, ID (yes, the tater state) and have a slip at MacDonalds Hudson Bay Resort. It is a "working" marina and not just a parking lot. The owner, Gary, is a fair man. He has a good crew taking care of business for him though they seen to be overwhelmed at times. Routine work often takes longer to get done than you would wish, we call it "MacDonalds Time" but they try to be accommodating to all.
If you want to work on your own yacht and forgot all the necessary tools you need, all you have to do is ask and they will loan them to you. Need electricty? Just plug in your table saw or whatever and get to work. No shore power and staying the night. Grab an extension cord for the heater. We all pray that Gary outlives us all and never sells. BTW, my slip for a 25' Mac Gregor is just a tad over 1 grand for 12 months.
A little piece of heaven.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:19   #35

Yacht clubs

Yacht clubs, especially a self help club like the one I belong to is the better way to go. The members do most of the work themselves from building docks to upkeep of the clubhouse. This is all on a voluntary basis. When I started sailing I joined a club because I figured I would sail at least five years and if I amortized the initiation fee over five years it would end up cheaper than a marina. Twenty five years later I'm still there and it's much cheaper than a marina. Also being in a club, there is an element of camaraderie that you will not find in a marina not to mention all the help and advice you get as a novice from the "old timers". If you've got a problem there's usually someone who's had that problem and fixed it. I don't know what happened but it seems I've gone from a "new member" to an "old timer" or "old member" in what seems a blink of the eye. Time really flies when you're having fun.[/quote]

Vasco,

Can you or anyone else in this forum recommend a Yacht club in Southern California? Do they offer dockage or just activities? It seems like a great idea. thanks.
claudius2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:49   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Yacht clubs, especially a self help club like the one I belong to is the better way to go.
Our club is like that too. If the members do a lot of the work then it keeps the wrong kind of people away. These are the folks that also work on their boats and still find time to help with the club. More like the Pele you actually want to hand around with too.

If you keep your boat at the club slip rates are about 1/2 commercial rates. That basically pays the initiation fee and 1st years dues. When you get into complex facilities and paid staff the dues start to soar.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote