ID:	151589Click image for larger version

Name:	20170710_212325.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	151590
wjsobers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 19:27   #62

Re: Anchorage outside of marina

I will get better pictures in the morning before I head out to the breakwall to fish.
Old 10-07-2017, 20:22   #63

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I've never been there. I'm not even a Canadian citizen. But let me offer one other possible perspective.

If the city owns a large parcel of prime waterfront real estate with a marina on it, there may be local real estate developers would would love to get their hands on it. They may (pure speculation) be very generous toward the local politicians. Through pure coincidence, those same politicians may be enacting policies that just happen to cause the marina to fail. Once it's proven to be a failure, what else is there to do but sell it to the developers?

Not saying it's happening there, or even could. But it's a tried-and-true method of privatizing government-owned assets on this side of the border.
Well, the other city owned/run marina (POH) has just gone through a "visioning" process, and most of the land will be changed to condo buildings....so your guess is pretty much bang on. Fewer customers (boaters), fewer complaints. There is a general feeling (at city hall) that "yacht owners" have all the advantages, and don't need the city to help them at all. What the city fails to see is the loss of income, tourism, stature, reputation, etc. Maybe its time I head south to some "warmer" waters!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 00:39   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsobers View Post
I assume you are tied to the old wall and not anchored...if you are anchored, you are a bit close to shore.

I am able to tie down where you are on Google Earth and if you actually anchored, you would definitely block the channel.

If you are tied to the wall, who owns the wall? If the marina owns or has rights to the wall and the land behind it, they have a legitimate beef if you tie up to it
and traverse their property for access without paying.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:46   #65

I am anchored. Not blocking the channel. Very close to shore. Not tied to the wall.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:47   #66

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170711_074430.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	151662Click image for larger version

Name:	20170711_074421.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	151665Click image for larger version

Name:	20170711_074418.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	151666
Old 11-07-2017, 04:48   #67

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170711_074819.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	151667Click image for larger version

Name:	20170711_074813.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	151668Click image for larger version

Name:	20170711_074809.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	151669
Old 11-07-2017, 06:02   #68

Quote:
I am anchored. Not blocking the channel. Very close to shore. Not tied to the wall.
I assume you are using some sort of multiple fore and aft anchors to keep the boat in position while staying out of the channel, so no fears that lots of boats will suddenly finding such a great anchorage. Most people wouldn't consider that a viable anchorage as it would call for multiple anchors and from the pictures, I really don't see how you won't be bumping the wall on a regular basis and for most, that's a pretty clear cut bad anchorage if you are hitting something while at anchor.

You may still be running into access rights to the wall (even if you aren't technically tied to the wall). From the pictures, it appears that you are within a 2-3 ft of the wall. If the marina has riparian rights to that wall and docking against it (even if they aren't currently using those rights), you would clearly be blocking access.

Heck, it could be that they simply don't realize you are anchored since you are so tight up against the wall.

The marina might be being a little over zealous and have no rights to this wall but when you tell us you've found a new "anchorage" most people assume you are putting out a single anchor off the bow and allowing the boat to swing thru a circle as the winds shift.

You might be perfectly legal though not what I consider a viable anchorage. We know much more than when you first posted and it paints a much different picture but still not sure if we can say if you've found a legitimate (if poor quality) anchorage. I would be curious to know who owns that wall and land behind it as a next step in unraveling the question of if the marina has a legitimate complaint.

It's been over a week since you first posted. Has the marina followed up or did they back off?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:29   #69
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

And this is why we get these sorts of local problems. That's the sort of place you can stay for a day or two, but more than that causes a number of problems. If you are using the shore to come and go, that's trespass, plain and simple.

I understand how everyone wants freedom, but everything has a cost, including keeping a park open. Should they tax the folk who don't use it, or the users?
Old 11-07-2017, 06:35   #70

They backed off. They called the CG when I was here before. The CG said it was an anchorage. As long as it's south of the shipping channel.

In my recent pictures, you can see the dredger. They, not sure who exactly, are dredging this side of the river. I will go further down later.

I am double anchored as posted. Not hitting the wall but very close to it. Here in a bit I will move another 10 feet or so out into the channel.

There are 2 other boats about 100 ft in front of me tied to the wall. I try to stay somewhat in line with them to be sure I am not to far out into the channel.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:11   #71

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:

W,
I am a firm believer in anchoring rights for cruising sailors. I am also supportive of landowners rights who have purchased property and usually pay hefty taxes to maintain their property rights. However, there are abuses that occur daily that threaten the future of cruising sailors when people push the limits of anchoring. Your picture in the upper left-hand corner shows that you are very close to a wall. Is this private property? How are you anchored to prevent your boat from slamming into that wall with an athwartship wind? What prevents your boat from blowing into the channel if a strong onshore wind trips your anchor(s)? How do you gain access to shore? What type of insurance do you carry? You have stated earlier that you don't have an issue paying for a slip. Why don't you? I think we need to know answers to these questions before we can make a fair evaluation of your situation. You are not a cruising sailor but a local who doesn't want to pay for a slip. Can you explain? Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:12   #72
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The chart seems unambiguous.
Chart 14837
That's "Fairport Harbor" rather than Fairport, even if it really is the Grand River. Pretty clear that the last reach ends before (N) of a boat ramp that is at or by Rutherford's Landing, and there's nothing special--no fairways, no channels, no anchorages--shown further south on that river.
If Ohio designated anything, they forgot to tell the USCG and NOAA, and in many states that gets them into a sticky wicket for failing to provide proper public notice. Someone needs to scold them and have them investigate, confirm, and report any special designations even if that includes "forgotten anchorages from the days of beaver traders".(G)
I can see why the local yacht clubs would consider that their private domain, even when it isn't. That's some thin water where I'd bet there isn't a whole lot of tourist trade coming through.
Of course you never know: Remember that bottom land CAN be privately owned and titled, and that's never shown on the NOAA charts, AFAIK. Short of going to the county clerk's office and digging through title records and tax records...cue the band to play the theme song from Deliverance.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:39   #73

Boat: Montevideo 43

:bigg rin:KIWI"S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
Ooooooooo! that hurts Basil . . . I don't think our American cousins like to have that 'rubbed in' . . . You're probly going to have to apologies for that. LOL
Jannie Radiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:36   #74

Boat: Ericson/Gulfstar 50/ Noresman 447

Try Yacht Haven Marina just out side of Phuket Thailand. Nic an Zara the managers ( English an Scottish) are great people, the facilities are brand new and 5 star, anchor off 3 min boat ride use the marina dingy dock , obtain a security key pass, use the swimming pool an restaurant , wifi etc etc, great holding in 6 to 8 meters.
Basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:02   #75

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
W,
I am a firm believer in anchoring rights for cruising sailors. I am also supportive of landowners rights who have purchased property and usually pay hefty taxes to maintain their property rights. However, there are abuses that occur daily that threaten the future of cruising sailors when people push the limits of anchoring. Your picture in the upper left-hand corner shows that you are very close to a wall. Is this private property? How are you anchored to prevent your boat from slamming into that wall with an athwartship wind? What prevents your boat from blowing into the channel if a strong onshore wind trips your anchor(s)? How do you gain access to shore? What type of insurance do you carry? You have stated earlier that you don't have an issue paying for a slip. Why don't you? I think we need to know answers to these questions before we can make a fair evaluation of your situation. You are not a cruising sailor but a local who doesn't want to pay for a slip. Can you explain? Good luck and safe sailing.
I can't say it any better. Those pictures make me nervous. While it may technically be "anchoring" to secure the boat such that you're close enough to a wall to step ashore at will, that sort of thing will only bring the wrath of the land owners down on all of us who only want a safe place to stop while actively cruising.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor