Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2017, 16:56   #31

Re: Anchorage outside of marina

DNR may have something to say if you drop the hook on a reef? But yeah the marina was probably thinking about all the lost revenue if everyone got the same idea.. they were just trying to protect themselves but I mean hey, it was an Anchorage right? Seems like the marina is a bit out of line here just by trying to be a pain in the posterior.. if they did that I might be telling everyone about the free spot! Fight fire with fire... but I would most likely move on & that's just what they want,reminds me of a bully
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 17:13   #32

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
DNR may have something to say if you drop the hook on a reef? But yeah the marina was probably thinking about all the lost revenue if everyone got the same idea.. they were just trying to protect themselves but I mean hey, it was an Anchorage right? Seems like the marina is a bit out of line here just by trying to be a pain in the posterior.. if they did that I might be telling everyone about the free spot! Fight fire with fire... but I would most likely move on & that's just what they want,reminds me of a bully
No reefs in Ohio.
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 17:14   #33

Boat: Rafiki 37

Well like I said, I don't really understand how law enforcement gets involved in you choosing to anchor. Take a slip if you want, or anchor out if you prefer. Up to you. I much prefer swinging from my own hook than being tied to a dock.

I'm sure there are legitimate reasons to restrict anchoring in some otherwise fine areas. But I'm with BP and his big cohoes. Stand up to these Colonel Clinckes. If you are anchored out of traffic, and not otherwise causing problems, then anchor where you will.
Old 02-07-2017, 18:37   #34

Boat: Bristol 32

I am trying to find an anchorage here in Southern FLORIDA. What a hassle from the locals, state and feds. Constant hassles almost every day. One example is $10.00 a day parking fee for your car at a public launching ramp. I use an inflatable to get to and from my Bristol 32. Big brother is watching. Wants to control everything in your life.
Captain Parry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 19:17   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Parry View Post
I am trying to find an anchorage here in Southern FLORIDA. What a hassle from the locals, state and feds. Constant hassles almost every day. One example is $10.00 a day parking fee for your car at a public launching ramp. I use an inflatable to get to and from my Bristol 32. Big brother is watching. Wants to control everything in your life.
What's up with the locals? You mean the marine patrol or somebody complain about you blocking there view or what? North central west coast they hit you with a 5 dollar a day fee for park usage,parking included. I know the closer you get to the Keys the price goes up... a while back they started charging to get into all state parks.. even inland parks...used to go use a RC off road coarse alot till then, that's even residents have to pay!
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 20:51   #36

Boat: Ericson/Gulfstar 50/ Noresman 447

Luckily there is another life / out side of America, in many other free countries you can anchor where it's safe to do so. I am currently anchored out side a marina now in Thailand and are very welcomed by the management there to use their facilities for a very small fee.
Many other countries eg New Zealand, ( holder of the American cup) Australia, Malaysia etc etc do not have these type of restrictions or rights violations imposed .
It's up to you the people to sort this type of silliness out.
Basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 21:21   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
What's up with the locals? You mean the marine patrol or somebody complain about you blocking there view or what? North central west coast they hit you with a 5 dollar a day fee for park usage,parking included. I know the closer you get to the Keys the price goes up... a while back they started charging to get into all state parks.. even inland parks...used to go use a RC off road coarse alot till then, that's even residents have to pay!
I'm simply wondering when folks are gonna connect the dots: reduce taxes on the ultra-wealthy, again and again, including "...corporations are people my friend." Who's left holding the bag?

Didn't used to need those "fees" before, did we?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 21:52   #38

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
Luckily there is another life / out side of America, in many other free countries you can anchor where it's safe to do so. I am currently anchored out side a marina now in Thailand and are very welcomed by the management there to use their facilities for a very small fee.
Many other countries eg New Zealand, ( holder of the American cup) Australia, Malaysia etc etc do not have these type of restrictions or rights violations imposed .
It's up to you the people to sort this type of silliness out.
Ooooooooo! that hurts Basil . . . I don't think our American cousins like to have that 'rubbed in' . . . You're probly going to have to apologies for that. LOL
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 22:06   #39

So tell us where this mysterious marina is and where the anchorage is in relation to it. Once we see where it is the answer may be obvious.

While it could be greed or incompetence, there may well be a fully justifiable reason. The fact that you claim no one has found this easily found high quality anchorage suggests there is probably a reason no one uses it.

Give us all the facts, so we can make an informed comment.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 00:33   #40

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
Ooooooooo! that hurts Basil . . . I don't think our American cousins like to have that 'rubbed in' . . . You're probly going to have to apologies for that. LOL
apologize for stating a fact? Don't think so...

I'm a card carrying Yank, but I celebrate the abilities of the Kiwis and their imported Aussies, and look forward to seeing what new rules arise for the next go round. I bet it won't be in Bermuda...

And FWIW, I was under the impression that unless specifically prohibited, any navigable water not in a marked channel was "an anchorage", to be used at the skipper's discretion.

Jim
Old 03-07-2017, 02:08   #41

Boat: Montevideo 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsobers View Post
The CG said we were fine. They checked their charts and had to call DNR to confirm the anchorage. Now that it's been confirmed, the marina is more angry. I suspect that is partly due to them thinking I will tell the entire boating community.
It is about money. MONEY ,MONEY and MONEY. You have to paythem marina fees. Now you dont. Simple math here.
Jannie Radiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:42   #42

Boat: cal29

Where in Ohio are you? I dock on the Grand River at Fairport Harbor. I'd like to know of this anchorage.
alexanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:20   #43

Small world. The anchorage is in the Grand River in Fairport. Anywhere south of the shipping channel. Basically south of Pickle Bill's. I wasn't going to say, but you did ask.
wjsobers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:14   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsobers View Post
Small world. The anchorage is in the Grand River in Fairport. Anywhere south of the shipping channel. Basically south of Pickle Bill's. I wasn't going to say, but you did ask.
Looked it up on GoogleEarth. In that area, the river channel is around 250' wide. Assuming you have a 30' boat and 50' of chain out and you don't want to get within 20-30' of shore, you are going to have to drop anchor fairly close to the center of the channel.

Depending on how far south of Pickle Bill's, there are a lot of slips that are right off the side of the river that you might be blocking.

If you go way south to the bend just before Fairport Rd, I could see getting out of the way for a quick overnight if you are staying on board to monitor the situation (or possibly use two anchors to limit the swing) but it doesn't look like a good place for long term anchoring. I certainly see why there is no competition for this newfound anchorage.

Are you planning to dingy out from said marina? That might represent some of their issue but I'm guessing making it difficult for their customers to access their slips is the bigger concern for them, particularly if it's not just one or two boats. If you get 8-10 boats trying to squeeze in, it could get to be a cluster pretty quickly.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:16   #45

Boat: cal29

Hi Bill,
I plan on being at the boat from around 1:00 tomorrow till after fireworks. Maybe we could get together for a few whatevers. I'm on the Fairport side @ A19. It's a teal colored Cal29. My cell is 216-392-2220. What are you on?

Ken
alexanick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor