Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2007, 10:30   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
SPAM!!! and what to do.

Hi folks. It's that time of the year again, where we tend to get inundated with spam. The team is doing a great job at catching the spam posts. And thanks to many of the Forum members that have also let us know of posts. We greatly appreciate the heads up.
However, if I may ask one thing of you all.
Could you please not reply to any Spam posts. The reason is, it is easier for the Moderators to scroll down the list of posts looking for a Spammer. Especially if the Spammer has posted several times. But if anyone replies with the usual "Go suck eggs" type post, then the Spammers name gets hidden from us and we have to dig deeper into the forum and find him so we can clean up. It's not impossible to find him, but it is just that little bit harder.
Thanks heaps all.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 12:15   #2

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
OK Boss.
Spam sucks eggs and other things.

Thanks Wheels and everyone else for a job well done.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 14:43   #3
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
"Go suck eggs" must be a Kiwi thing!

Consider this post SPAM!
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 15:21   #4

Boat: Westsail 32
I like my spam fried crispy with scrambled eggs. "Happy Holidays" all, pray for "Peace on Earth".
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 15:45   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

So Wheels, you give me that corporate travel card and the IP addresses of the known spammers, and I'll deal with them for you. Close up and personal.[g]

I've always felt the biggest problem with spam, is that too few legs and heads were broken to discourage the activity.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 16:39   #6
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Spam with taro leaves & tomatoe, cooked in a lovo oven. Mmmmmm
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 20:37   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So does anyone know why the word "spam" was used for....errrrr....spam. Just curiouse.

Old 14-12-2007, 22:00   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
So does anyone know why the word "spam" was used for....errrrr....spam. Just curiouse.
Because calling something "Tinned Meat By-product" wouldn't be good for sales

Actually a lump of spam with a coconut apple then wrapped in coconut leaves fired in the Umu. Yummmmmmyyyy...........

Sorry Wheels, couldn't help myself
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 23:52   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No I meant the Internet Spam, not the tinned stuff.
Although, I didn't know the eadible spam was actually meat. I probably had Spinich in the back of my mind.Do we get something similar here in NZ Grant?? Like tinned corned beef or something??

Old 15-12-2007, 02:24   #10

Boat: Lotus 10.6
The term was supposedly coined from a Monty Python comedy sketch in the early 1970s, in which every item on a restaurant menu contained SPAM, and there was nothing a customer could do to get a meal without it. The sketch was derived from the fact that in England during World War II, SPAM (Hormel's processed meat) was abundantly available while other foods were rationed. Many believe spam is an acronym for "sales promotional advertising mail" or "simultaneously posted advertising message."
Old 15-12-2007, 02:25   #11

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
No I meant the Internet Spam, not the tinned stuff.
Although, I didn't know the eadible spam was actually meat. I probably had Spinich in the back of my mind.Do we get something similar here in NZ Grant?? Like tinned corned beef or something??

They sell it at the English shop in Wellington. Apparently the Poms love it.
Old 15-12-2007, 05:20   #12
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
IIRC the Internet version of SPAM e-mail came from this visual analogy... Take a can of SPAM (meaty variety), remove it from the container, toss the container away and then toss it with all your might against a wall!! SPLAT!!!! (it goes everywhere in every which direction) The result is very similar to the approach mass e-mailers use to get into our personal e-mail accounts and web sites.

Most of these SPAMMERS are automated mailing systems or virus' that hijack ojur individual e-mail accounts to turn them into zombie mail servers. The worst thing you can do is post a valid e-mail on a web site or reply to a SPAM. There are web site siphons that scour the web looking for e-mail addresses. You can buy a CD on the web with a million e-mail addresses for about $20. If you e-mail address is known to be valid, by the server receiving a response you go on a different list. A CD with 100K valid e-mail addys can sell for as much as $1000!!!
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2007, 07:49   #13

Location: On Board - Currently - Heading back to SF Bay from Mexico.
Boat: Valiant 50 - Raptor Dance
Send a message via Skype™ to RaptorDance
Spam dates back to 1864...

Here is a history of the use of the term "spam" in electronic communication from Wikipedia.

Wikipedia is a very useful source for such background info.

see Spam (electronic) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for the full article

Regards,
Bill[INDENT]

It is widely believed the term spam is derived from the 1970 Monty Python SPAM sketch, set in a cafe where nearly every item on the menu includes SPAM luncheon meat. As the server recites the SPAM-filled menu, a chorus of Viking patrons drowns out all conversations with a song repeating "SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM... lovely SPAM, wonderful SPAM", hence "SPAMming" the dialogue. The excessive amount of SPAM mentioned in the sketch is a reference to British rationing during World War II. SPAM was one of the few meat products that avoided rationing, and hence widely available.

Although the first known instance of unsolicited commercial e-mail occurred in 1978 (unsolicited electronic messaging had already taken place over other media, with the first recorded instance being via telegram in May 1864), the term "spam" for this practice had not yet been applied. In the 1980s the term was adopted to describe certain abusive users who frequented BBSs and MUDs, who would repeat "SPAM" a huge number of times to scroll other users' text off the screen. In early Chat rooms services like PeopleLink and the early days of AOL, they actually flooded the screen with quotes from the Monty Python Spam sketch. This was used as a tactic by insiders of a group that wanted to drive newcomers out of the room so the usual conversation could continue. It was also used to prevent members of rival groups from chatting -- for instance, Star Wars fans often invaded Star Trek chat rooms, filling the space with blocks of text until the Star Trek fans left. This act, previously called flooding or trashing, came to be known as spamming. The term was soon applied to a large amount of text broadcasted by many users.
SV Raptor Dance - Valiant 50 #107
Bill Finkelstein & Mary Mack
https://raptordance.com
RaptorDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2007, 11:34   #14
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Some Prick Advertising Maliciously??
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2007, 11:35   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
You can buy a CD on the web with a million e-mail addresses for about $20. If you e-mail address is known to be valid, by the server receiving a response you go on a different list. A CD with 100K valid e-mail addys can sell for as much as $1000!!!
Don't need the interweb just go see your local postal service, they sell all you want. Here you can buy lists of emails, fax or phone numbers that people love to use at 9pm to try and sell you crap.

My ISP recently did a massive server and software upgrade and now I get maybe 1 a week when previously 10-15 day. Not Telecom, mine happened overnite and didn't go bad

We in NZ don't get the genuine English spam, maybe speciality places as mentioned above. We don't seem to have the love of offal the English do, which I'm pretty damn happy about. How about a nice tin of 'interesting' corned beef. A staple up in the Islands.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote