Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Forum News & Announcements
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2006, 19:06   #1
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
Announcement: Photo Gallery Open Again!

I appologize for the gallery being down for a few weeks. I really wanted to port us from PhotoPost to another software program called vB Gallery. For various reasons I feel it is a better solution for us. It is lighter then the new full blown version of PhotoPost but should be plenty feature rich for us and easier to use.

The link at the top of the page is working but you can also
Click Here to go to the Photo Gallery

You can view any members photo gallery by clicking on their name from any post (see attachment) and selecting the option to view their photo gallery.

Also, this system allows members to make photo albums, so now you can arrange your photos from your last trip by destination (we would LOVE to see them) or if you are in the middle of a restoration or snap some photos of a project you are working on you can group them all together!

If you have any other questions, feel free to post them to this discussion or start a new one in the help and support forum!
Attached Images

Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2006, 19:11   #2
Kai Nui

Hooray I missed those photos.
Old 23-04-2006, 19:20   #3

Yeah.

Me too!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2006, 19:24   #4
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I am still working on re-processing some of the photos (medium sized ones). So look for little improvements here and there...
Old 24-04-2006, 17:13   #5
cruiser

Great work, Andy! I sure missed that gallery. Now we are back, better than ever!
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 14:48   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1977 Cuttyhunk 59 Ketch, "Diva" in Trinidad
Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff S.
Andy, I fall into the Restoration category. I have successfully started a file in the Member's Gallery, but I've reached a bit of an impasse. I have two questions for you:

1) Does my photo file have to be entitled "Geoff S.'s Photos", or could I name a photo file "Diva's Resurrection" to better describe the content? If the latter is true, can I rename my existing "Geoff S.'s Photos" file to "Diva's Resurrection", or should I delete my starter file and open a new one with the name I want? Assuming I can name the file differently than my User Name, how do I do that? Or, please give me the link to the instructional page that describes the process.

2) I'd like my photos to be in a particular chronological order. My limited experiment with uploading photos thus far seems to invert the order, putting my most recently uploaded photo first in the lineup. I'd much rather have it the other way around, so that I can add photos as my refit progresses. How do I do that?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 14-10-2006, 12:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff S.
Okay, I'm bumping my own thread up here...doesn't anybody know the how to work the naming or sequencing of the photo gallery?
I think you pretty much figured it out for yourself Geoff. The files appear in decending order from newest to oldest corresponding to the date you posted them. Your member gallery will always be named "Geoff S.'s Images".

Andy will have to respond if there are more advanced options available for the Photo Gallery. If you're posting a blog on your project you'll probably get used to it running from newest post to oldest so the order of the photos will make it easier in the long run. There's an option in your users CP to set the default display of new messages to "Newest First". When you think of it, it makes sense, if someone is following your blog they'll always get the most recent update first and not have to scroll through pages and pages to get to what's happening.

Food for thought.

CN
Old 15-10-2006, 13:52   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Some good points, CN. What I'm most fearful by is the prospect of sitting down to upload a goodly 100 photos or so, and have their order get all scrambled up. As far as I can tell, the ordering is date-sensitive, but maybe not time-sensitive. To keep them in the order I want, I fear I'd have to post one photo per day for three and a half months! Andy, if you can give me any guidance here, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 19-10-2006, 11:27   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Okay, I just jumped in with both feet and did it. Everything seems to be staying in the order in which I uploaded them (yay!). Now...if I can just figure out how to resort them in ascending order (changing that pref doesn't have any effect so far). It would be nice if viewers could start at the beginning of the story instead of having to work backwards.
Old 19-10-2006, 12:04   #10
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Geoff, is this what you mean? click here
Old 19-10-2006, 13:54   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Andy;

Exactly! How did you do that? Or does it love you because you're it's mother?

Thanks, either way!

Geoff
Old 19-10-2006, 18:19   #12
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff S.
Exactly! How did you do that? Or does it love you because you're it's mother?
Isn't she a sweet little photo gallery! She always does what I say!

Actually on the bottom of each page you will find some sorting options. All I did was tweak those and then copy paste the url from the page that was sorted how I wanted.

PHP Code:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery/browseimages.php?s=&do=member&catid=&imageuser=945&searchid=&orderby=dateline&direction=ASC&cutoffdate=-1 
But it would be nice to have a feature to sort your gallery how you wanted and I will not that in our feature request system...
Old 20-10-2006, 07:02   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Andy, I must be plumb stoopid. When I click on "Ascending" for the Sorting Options, the Sort Option word changes to "Ascending" but nothing happens to the order of the photos. "Show Images" kicks me back to the Member's Gallery alphabetical list. If I try to refresh, I get my own gallery back, but still in Descending order (must be the default). What am I doing wrong?
Old 20-10-2006, 12:08   #14
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

From this page:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...&imageuser=945

(which is your personal photo gallery)

You select ascending and then show images. That will only show your images in that order. Plus you can take the link I posted above and post that elsewhere (your sig line, etc)...

I hope that helps...
Old 22-10-2006, 14:22   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here's what's puzzling me: when I click on the link in your last post, I do get my Member Gallery, and when I select Ascending and then click on Show Images, it indeed works just as you say, with an Ascending re-sort of my gallery...perfect!

But, when I navigate to my Gallery the usual way (Photo Gallery header, Member Galleries, "G" shortcut to the page with my gallery listed, then "Geoff S's Images") and then select Ascending and Show Images, I get sent back to the first Member Galleries list page, instead of my own photo gallery resorted in Ascending order... Wuzzup??