Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2021, 19:58   #16

Boat: Chrysler C26/Morgan OI 37
Re: Yacht in Transit shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
@ Skipper Dan,

They will be interested to know if things are new or used.

Medical prescription items do require documentation (like copies of the Rx's involved).

First make up a detailed list. I once had fabric to make matching pillowslips questioned, and it is hard to guess in advance where they will have questions. Be sure to keep a copy of the complete list: you want to be able to check everything's still there.

Ann
This is really going to suck, I think I am going to go with the bare minimum. It will take me a week to list everything.

Dan
Skipper_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 19:23   #17

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I managed the shipping operations of a Fortune 100 Company for many years. I never had any experience with Palau customs but it is not unusual for any package to be inspected by customs. If they find one item not specifically identified on the list of contents or Bill of Lading then can and do hold the entire shipment until they are satisfied that it has been listed and identified correctly. The values are also required regardless of whether they choose not to tax the imported goods. Customs houses are full of questionable imports awaiting clearance. We employed freight forwarders to ensure the timely clearance of our materials through customs and the local licensed freight importers.
Customs houses are not to be treated lightly but you are free to handle this in any way you choose. Frequently the smaller the country the larger the bureaucracy.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 19:42   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
I managed the shipping operations of a Fortune 100 Company for many years. I never had any experience with Palau customs but it is not unusual for any package to be inspected by customs. If they find one item not specifically identified on the list of contents or Bill of Lading then can and do hold the entire shipment until they are satisfied that it has been listed and identified correctly. The values are also required regardless of whether they choose not to tax the imported goods. Customs houses are full of questionable imports awaiting clearance. We employed freight forwarders to ensure the timely clearance of our materials through customs and the local licensed freight importers.
Customs houses are not to be treated lightly but you are free to handle this in any way you choose. Frequently the smaller the country the larger the bureaucracy.
Thank You for your response, I spent all day going through every little thing. I am debating sending it in two different shipments. One with very few items that I need and are the most expensive and then the other with things that are too hard to define. If you would not mind looking at my bill of lading?
Old 05-12-2021, 21:15   #19

Boat: Columbia 8.7

Palau is one of 3 counties that are "Freely Associated States" with the USA. I believe most imports from the USA are duty free. No messing around with Yacht in Transit needed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comp...e_Association#

More official citation for goods going the other way. https://ustr.gov/archive/assets/Trad...e641_14837.pdf
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:38   #20

Boat: Sundeer 64' ketch

Since you’re flying over, have you priced shipping on your aircraft when you go?
Depending on weight, may be an option . Also I bet you have tools that are your favorites and specialty. High ‘use’ value in your eyes- then standard tools available everywhere.
If it’s insured, and it should be, then a detailed inventory with values is essential to back up any claim. We had a loss amd I had all my inventory and costs listed in my computer and with the ins company amd received total loss benefits. Without it it would have been nada.
Nibiruwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 15:04   #21

Boat: C Dory 25 foot semi dory pilot house power boat

Any item with a serial number should have that number listed.
thataway41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2021, 20:53   #22

Boat: Leopard 47 owner's version

Palau does indeed collect a general import duty, 3%. Genuine Yachts-in-Transit are exempt from import fees on ANY item(s) no matter the value. This includes personal items as well as obvious expensive new boat hardware. However they do want to know what you have, a local agent can help you clear your container items. It's quite likely you will be required by Customs to employ a local clearing agent. The agent will advise if you can group items like kitchen items, used or mechanics tools, used, rather than individual listing. A specific uniform product code is required for each line item, your agent can handle this. Well worth their fee!
Alternatively Palau has a US domestic post office, 96940. Flat rate Priority boxes arrive by the 100s, Amazon is quite popular here. Sending here via USPS there are two options "General Delivery" or to a specific pobox number. Both need the notation Yacht-in-Transit in the address. Join the RBYC, they have a dedicated box number and they will collect and hold your mail.
1ercru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2022, 14:08   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
It's not clear to me from your post, but assuming you mean that the pallet is being freighted from another country to Palau. Then as with any imported/exported goods you should list a detailed inventory along with the value of each item.
I agree with Grant. Also, you should state whether the item is new or used. There may be handling fees, as well. It used to be there was no fee for Customs Services to check incoming goods. Nowadays, at least one country I know of charges $75.00 per look-see. Could be more now.

Ann
Old 18-06-2022, 18:02   #24

Thanks Ann, I've been here for 5 months now. I had no problems other than the local shipping company charged me $300. Palau I guess is a US type territory. I get stuff shipped from the US regularly here from Defender with no additional costs.

Tags
shipping, yacht