Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2018, 14:58   #76

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Why don't Cruisers Fly their National Flags?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sea View Post
Slightly off topic: Where do you get good quality 12" x 18" courtesy flags for the Pacific countries such as French Polynesia, Tonga, and Fiji? I can find large flags (3'x5') and tiny toothpick flags, but what about good quality 12x18 flags?
Try Bluewater Books and Charts in Fort Lauderdale. They have high-quality flags of all sizes for every country imaginable.

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 19-10-2018, 15:36   #77

Boat: 2011 Hunter 50

A Canadian sailing in US waters is treated like a criminal that must check in with authorities each day that you move your boat, so why fly a Canadian flag and draw more attention to your boat. Just smile and wave.
Old 19-10-2018, 15:38   #78

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sea View Post
Slightly off topic: Where do you get good quality 12" x 18" courtesy flags for the Pacific countries such as French Polynesia, Tonga, and Fiji? I can find large flags (3'x5') and tiny toothpick flags, but what about good quality 12x18 flags?
I think your best bet would be to have someone mail you two (at least) of them from the US, but at 42 ft., you should really fly a larger one, and the 3 x 5 is not too large. They should mail it to you like this: Mr. or Mrs. John Doe, c/o US Yacht in Transit " Boat Name", Poste Restante, and whatever nation you're in.

The other option is to sign up with a US re-shipping agent. Then you have the source ship (often without charge within the US) to the re-shipper, who will ship to whatever address you select.

Ann
Old 19-10-2018, 15:52   #79

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
I think your best bet would be to have someone mail you two (at least) of them from the US, but at 42 ft., you should really fly a larger one, and the 3 x 5 is not too large. They should mail it to you like this: Mr. or Mrs. John Doe, c/o US Yacht in Transit " Boat Name", Poste Restante, and whatever nation you're in.

The other option is to sign up with a US re-shipping agent. Then you have the source ship (often without charge within the US) to the re-shipper, who will ship to whatever address you select.

Ann
3' x 5' courtesy flag? I've never seen anyone fly one that large for any country they are visiting.

Matt
Old 19-10-2018, 16:23   #80

Boat: O'Day 34

We always fly the Stars and Stripes. During a recent trip (masts removed) from Port Napoleon on the Med to Amsterdam we heard only positive comments on our flag. While in a marina on an outside berth in Leiden, just south of Amsterdam we heard many surprised comments about our flag. BTW. We only saw one other US flagged boat during the wonderful 3 month trip.
Old 19-10-2018, 16:33   #81

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

We follow protical ( sp), and present the colors of the United States of America, plus for the fun flag halyard,

We fly the State of California, where I was raised in the beach cities, and now again returned to three years ago.

We fly the Flag of the State of Hawaii, where we visited for 12 years and lived on kauai island as full time residents for 10 years. Interesting and fun about the Hawaiian State Flag, other sailors would dink by and ask what country that flag was representing. When we told them Hawaii,and we lived on Kauai, their eyes let up, big smiles, and many times...THAT IS OUR FAVORITE ISLAND. New friends, and fun times .

Also, we fly a HAPPY HARGGGHHHHH, ( hour ) pirate flag , letting folks know to dink on over, the rum, music, and sea story good times are welcome. That pennant we purchased at Pussers Rum Company, Leverck Bay, Virgin Gorda , BVI.

We share respect, and aloha with everyone, every where we live and travel.

So,, this next may, 2019, should you be sailing the BVI, and see a jeanneau 36, displaying the above flags and pennants, dink on over, you will be welcomed aboard , and the party light will be illuminated.

Friendship is precious cargo.

Keep life simple.

Welcome aboard.

Denny and Erica
Old 19-10-2018, 17:04   #82

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
I had a US flag that came with the boat, but never flew it. It seems to be a level of pride which I don’t have.

I don’t like labels nor do I care much for the separation of people which flags represent. And specifically the history... when I think about all the events and actions which took place in the name of the American flag I become quite saddened.

I much rather like people to approach me first as a human being on a boat, rather than an American... I image flying a flag would have the opposite effect.

austin
Don't you think it's interesting to see flags of various countries flying from the boats near you? I think its fascinating.

Anyone who approaches me as an "American" first and in a negative way, rather than as a real human being, doesn't really deserve my respect anyway. Last season in Mexico I was a bit reluctant to fly my flag sometimes, out of a misperception that there might be, recently, some kind of hate for our country. I never found a shred of evidence of that, in fact the folks there were just as loveable as always.

I think an honest appraisal, by you, of all of the good things that America has accomplished, would perhaps make you a little more inclined to fly the flag now and then. We are proud to be the country that so many still want to literally die just to enter and work and send money back home.
Old 19-10-2018, 17:32   #83

For a US flag, don't you have to follow the protocols if you choose to fly it? Take down at sunset. Don't fly flag unless US captain is aboard, etc.
If you don't fly the flag you can direct your activities to productive endeavors. Symbolic genuflections don't make a better country or society. Actions and achievements toward that goal are more likely to be successful.
Old 19-10-2018, 17:38   #84

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Flying national flags seems to be more an American thing. Australia is slowly becoming that way now. Years ago we proudly did not fly flags in this country as we did not want to be like the US. Some people might not like what I just said so sorry in advance. We also have the worst National Anthem of any country that was forced on us...... no vote.
Old 19-10-2018, 17:48   #85

Boat: Beneteau, oceanis 423
Send a message via Skype™ to PassePort III

I fly my canadian flag on the stern all the time while sailing the east coast of Fla or in the icw, with the us ensign on my starboard spreader, once clear of american waters take the ensign down and, when aproaching the Bahamas, fly the Q flag and then the proper ensign for that country. Most of the time I take them down at sundown, (just after I run out of breath blowing my counch).
I just don't bother reporting at each stop anymore.
Registration flag shouldn't be one inch for every boat lenght feet and courtesy flag half of that?

Bob
s/v PassePort
Old 19-10-2018, 18:08   #86
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
We also have the worst National Anthem of any country that was forced on us...... no vote.
Perhaps you didn't take part in the 1977 plebiscite to chose between Advance Australia Fair, Waltzing Matilda, God Save the Queen and Song of Australia.
The results were ~43%, ~28%, ~19% and ~10% in the same order.

Now the Aussie flag is a different matter, first decided by a competition then later changed by Parliament and all had to approved by the UK - so not much voting in the flag design
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 19-10-2018, 18:21   #87

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Flying national flags seems to be more an American thing. Australia is slowly becoming that way now. .
More off a bogan thing isn't it ? (-;

https://thingsboganslike.com/tag/australian-flag-cape/

Goes with the southern cross tats.

https://thingsboganslike.com/tag/tatt/
Old 19-10-2018, 18:36   #88

Boat: Outremer 51

I get mine from Flagline.com. They do pretty good nylon 12x18 flags of overy nation at reasonable prices. You have to dig down into their menu until you find Nautical Flags
Old 19-10-2018, 19:20   #89

Quote:
Years ago we proudly did not fly flags in this country as we did not want to be like the US.
If you didn't want to be like the people that gifted the world with the airplane, internet, cell phone, modern democracy, and a saved 20th century, then of course flag-flying is optional.
Old 19-10-2018, 19:28   #90

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
If you didn't want to be like the people that gifted the world with the airplane, internet, cell phone, modern democracy, and a saved 20th century, then of course flag-flying is optional.
I don't think these things are the issue
I would think the long list of bad things and not just product are more the problem
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser, flags