Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2019, 17:37   #1

When do you tip and how much?

After doing quite a few classes, my wife and I are doing a 3 night bareboat charter with our our two kids in the United States starting in a little over a week. A week or two after my last class aboard the boat, I suddenly realized that I never tipped my ASA instructor and I wondered if this was expected. After thinking about it some more, I realized I didn't realize any of the standard tipping or no tipping or how much having to do with cruising. So here it goes; What, if anything, would you suggest tipping for:

- ASA Classes where you live aboard for two nights (thinking of doing 106 soon)
- Refueling the boat
- Pump-out
- Anything else having to do with boat cleaning afterward
- Anything else I haven't mentioned

Thanks!
David

DavidJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 17:45   #2

Boat: 2008 Nordic Tug 37
Re: When do you tip and how much?

Good question and I look forward to seeing the trends and regional differences. Here in the PNW and British Columbian waters, I carry a wad of $5 bills and tip the dock and fuel kids 5-10 depending on the amount of work provided and the weather.

Waterford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 18:06   #3

Boat: J/36

Haven't taken formal sailing lessons for a long time, so don't know about tipping instructors. It seems that powerboaters tip more than sailboaters. The sailors I know tend not to.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 19:16   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

Do you tip your professor or teacher? — Don’t tip your ASA instructor.

Between my spouse and I we’ve taken five live aboard courses. No tip was ever given, or expected.

If a dockhand provides more than standard assistance, then a tip may be warranted. Otherwise, they’re doing their job.

I realize tipping as a practice seems to be expanding rapidly, especially in USA zones. This should be resisted. It is a terrible way to pay workers, and only benefits businesses. It offloads the cost of labour directly onto customers, and allows businesses to advertise artificially lower prices.
Old 12-05-2019, 19:24   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

This subject has been beaten to death here on CF. A quick search will reveal that there is a vast difference of opinion on the subject, and no agreement is ever reached between pro and con factions.

So, if you really care what other folks think and do about this, read the dozens of posts that have preceded your query. In the long run, ya gotta do what seems right to you.

Me? One of the things I like about cruising in Oz is the general non-tipping ethos. I'm happier paying more up front to deal with folks who are paid well enough that tips are not needed to eek out their pay.

Jim
Old 12-05-2019, 19:25   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Not a fan. If the price of the service should be more, tell me the true price. Be honest. Give fair pay.
Old 13-05-2019, 09:14   #7

Boat: Grampian 26

In my opinion, when people make a living wage there should be no necessity to tip. Young people at the gas dock are more probably making minimum wage (if there is one) so a tip, especially if extra service is provided would be in order.

I do like the idea of lots of $5 bills. If you're fuelling up it makes sense but is way less than the 15-20 per cent you'd give elsewhere such as a restaurant.
astokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 09:25   #8

Boat: 2012 Sea Ray 370 Sundancer

I'm currently a power boat user, SeaRay 370 Sundancer and my general rule is on pumpouts, yes I tip $5 to the unlucky sole that draws the short straw (pumpouts are free in our marina). On gas and line help, only if I'm tied up at a restaurant and a line handler is watching the boat so that it doesn't get beat up by waves. You may ask why is a powerboat captain on this forum...my future retirement plans are either a trawler or sailing vessel and I learn a ton by monitoring different forums.
cbenwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 09:28   #9
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Did you tip at a service station, back when they were full service or in Jersey? I kinna doubt it.

As for $5, In my youth I loaded tankers. That didn't pay $5 all-in, because it was NOT that hard. $5 for fueling a small vessel is ridiculous. Hand a guy a hose, put it back in the pump. Please.

I dislike the trend and won't feed it. Everyone says vote with your feet, so there.

And when did 10% for waiters become 20%? Did you notice how that creeped up? And is 20% in any way related to the amount of work (it depends a great deal on the cost of the restaurant)? I'll tip well over 20% for lunch at diner, and considerably less at the high dollar place, since it is the work I am tipping for.
Old 13-05-2019, 09:34   #10

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

We use $5 bills and tell the recipients we are “buying them a Starbucks”..... they seem appreciative. I agree that it would not be needed in a society that paid living wages, but that’s not where I live: I am an American.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 09:40   #11

I only rarely tip. Once $20 to an instructor who I thought went way over and above what I expected. More often, I give a 6-pack of beer to dock hands who have been helpful a number of times. We also have given fresh baked bread to other cruisers who helped us out or to some locals in the Grenadines who were extra helpful. The smiles I've gotten in return have been memorable but not the reason I tip.
fahtcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 09:55   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tartan 33 and OPB
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Well here it goes.... Either on a delivery or my boat, tips come out of MY pocket.

If the deckhand on the boat I am on throws the dockhand a line and the dockhand know what too with it and helps me look good- especially if it is blowing like snot? I’ve given guys a $20. Keep in mind THIER actions were key to me getting along side easily. Normal dockings- I will give them a $5 or $10 depending on service. This also ensures that when I need to go, they are there to assist.

I am not a rich man, but most dockhands make minimum wage. If they got paid a decent wage, the docking fees would go up.

Most ASA Instructors, get the same pay as charter captains. Once again, if they were compensated fairly, the rates would be higher and the school would get less business. Allowing tipping ensures good instructors get fair compensation and those that are less than effective make less (no tips). Keep in mind I said effective. If a student messes up, passing them is not being effective. Working with a student to help them learn, even spending time after class is being effective.

I never tipped my college or grad school professors. But then again, I did not pick the least expensive school.

Finally, as a delivery captain I never ask for a tip. But especially on owner-assisted deliveries many customers just give me one. They get to see just how hard getting a boat long distances can be.

But tipping is a personal choice and often a regional thing. The person giving the tip should do what THEY feel is right. Me? I’ll keep working the Karma!!!
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ismael -a link to my delivery website is in my profile—
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 10:09   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Do you tip your professor or teacher? — Don’t tip your ASA instructor.

Between my spouse and I we’ve taken five live aboard courses. No tip was ever given, or expected.

If a dockhand provides more than standard assistance, then a tip may be warranted. Otherwise, they’re doing their job.

I realize tipping as a practice seems to be expanding rapidly, especially in USA zones. This should be resisted. It is a terrible way to pay workers, and only benefits businesses. It offloads the cost of labour directly onto customers, and allows businesses to advertise artificially lower prices.
This is pretty much where I'm at. I wouldn't think of tipping someone who is doing their normal job like an instructor, mechanic etc.
Frankly, it never even crossed my mind until I've seen threads here on CF.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 10:31   #14

Boat: Rafiki 37

Tipping as a method of paying wages is a growing thing in American-influenced areas. It’s based on the simple reality that, as someone said, workers don’t get enough to live on (a living wage). So the burden of paying this living wage has shifted directly onto the backs of customers.

Customers always pay in the end, so it really doesn’t help them. But it greatly helps the employers who no longer have to worry about such niggly things as paying their workers a decent wage, and often bleeds into the lowering, or removal, of other “benefits” like healthcare, sick leave, paid vacations or pensions.

It also puts the worker in a much more fragile or precarious situation. It shifts the power balance, which is already highly skewed, far towards the customer. This opens up whole problems of discrimination and abuse.

In its proper and historic terms tipping is a good thing. It is meant as an acknowledgment of a worker who has gone far above the expectations of the job. But that’s not how most tips operate now. All too often they are a direct payment of a worker’s wage.

I realize some areas of North American (and influenced areas) are lost to tipping. It would be a near-crime NOT to tip a server in most restaurants. Tips are a key part of most servers’ incomes. That ship has sailed. But that doesn’t mean we should passively allow the practice to expand.
Old 13-05-2019, 10:38   #15

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40

I regularly tip the dock hand, usually $5.00 or a bit more.

Fair winds,
Leo

Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote