Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2021, 07:58   #31

Re: When do you have to leave the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
If you anchor in U.S. waters, you have entered the USA.

That is a correct and simple answer.

One needs to actually leave to a foreign place or port and then return if you desire to obtain a new cruisers permit once your first cruisers permit has expired. Traveling to international waters and returning to the USA does not qualify as departure.

A foreign place could be Canada, or Bermuda or the Bahamas.

There are also the islands of Saint Pierre and Miquelon off of Newfoundland to enter French soil.

A US B1/B2 visa provides for in country presence for up to 180 days PER ENTRY. So it is a matter of just leaving and returning and one would be good for another half year. Now granted with Covid travel restrictions are muddling. For example the USA has just extended the closure of the Canadian and Mexican borders for yet another month until October 21 and I don't see that reopening for non-essential travel anytime soon.

To enter the USA by other than commercial carrier [a commercial airline or a cruise ship] one will need to have been issued a B1 or a B2 visa which one obtains before arriving in the USA by applying for one at the US embassy or consulate in the foreign country. B1/B2 visas are not issued at the port of entry. Under normal conditions [that be BC, Before Covid] it would take about 3 to 5 weeks to obtain a B1/B2 visa. Under Covid protocols most embassies and consulates have closed their non-immigrant visa processes, so expect considerable processing delays and / or expect most likely that NO B1/B2 visas will be granted for non-essential travel purposes. The US Department of State is presently swamped in dealing with vetting the tens of thousands of Afghan refugees, third country national visa processing is likely to be placed on the not needed to be expedited categorization, i.e.,, dumped into an ever longer delayed pile of applications.

Also, note that the USA is implementing new Covid protocol travel restrictions beginning in November which will apply to foreigners and to USA citizens.

Non-essential travel should not be undertaken during a pandemic. Recommend that the traveler make arrangements to return to their home country of citizenship and / or of residence for the duration and store their boat in a safe yard.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 08:45   #32
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
When do you have to leave the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
@GoBoatingNow:

I understand this may be outside of your experience. However, it is within mine. It's too bad you won't accept this.

Let's agree that we each have different experience-given opinions, and let it go.

To the reader, there is little to choose between two opinions, both based upon experience they do not have. They will choose to keep an open mind, and some will be warned. I had no idea Interpol kept watch on cruisers? Usually a pretty law abiding group, by and large, I would have thought.

Ann

I actually , have domain expertise because I developed law enforcement record keeping software

The habitual exchange of information does not happen ( in general )unless there are some specific agreements and in some cases common database access . The US and Canada have a close data sharing system as does Ireland and the U.K. as in this case there is a common travel area. But unless you are a “ person on interest “ your travel details are not passed on within the EU for example.

If you remember the shouting match when the US demanded advance passenger details of airline traffic.
Old 21-09-2021, 16:45   #33

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: When do you have to leave the US

Quote:
If you remember the shouting match when the US demanded advance passenger details of airline traffic.
Actually, no, haven't been in the US very much in the last 20 yrs. or so. But I do remember when the Customs of South Pacific countries wanted notification at least one week in advance of your arrivals in their countries. Fortunately, it was allowed to be further in advance, so you could go to an internet "shop", and send electronic notification around the time you checked out.

I'm definitely not a computer whiz. Just a cruiser who pays attention to her processes.

Ann