Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2013, 03:36   #1

Boat: Scanmar 40
Visa's

Hi All,

I am a Brit based on the East coast of the UK and expecting to start a circumnavigation towards the back end of next year. At some point before crossing into the Pacific I would like to visit the US. This is not a definite as it will depend on time, weather, money etc. Is it better to get a visa before I leave the UK or from one of the islands in the West Indies once I am sure that is my destination?

Thanks

Andy
AndytheSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 03:40   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: Visa's

As a fellow Brit I would get in the UK but fellow Brits got one in Trinidad without problems.

Keep in touch... we live in Miami, when not cruising, and have a great deal of knowledge about the US East Coast and Bahamas.

Good Luck Phil & Nell

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 03:49   #3

Thanks Phil, will keep you in mind. Ultimate destination is Aukland, NZ to meet up with No2 son.

Andy
Old 19-11-2013, 04:36   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 57

If you intend on visiting the USA via sailboat, then the visa waiver program does not apply and you will need to get a US Visa while still in the U.K. (this applies to all Visa-Waiver countries). This will take several weeks and, depending upon what the consular officials decide, you might need to supply things such as titles/deeds to property or rental contracts so that you can prove that you have ties to the U.K. and do not intend on overstaying in the USA when you visit. The final step is an interview, which I think can currently only be done in London, so you'd have to travel there for a day.

None of the commonly visited Caribbean countries require you to have a visa to visit, but keep in mind that the BVI, while part of the commonwealth, will only grant you the normal 2-3 week visa stamp on arrival.

If you intend to cruise around the USA by boat you will need to apply for a cruising permit and remember that each time you lift up and drop anchor you will have to call in to Homeland Security or risk paying a hefty fine. Recently a thread was open here about a boat which changed their dock in the same marina without notification and were subsequently fined!

(Sorry, I just re-read your post and see that you were referring to the USA visa. I believe that you have to apply for the visa from your place/country of residence, but I have heard that there might be exceptions made, I believe that the Bahamas were mentioned, but it would be much easier to do this from home. I had to make 2 visits to the US consulate to finish my visa application, luckily the consulate at the time was only 1 hour away.).
Old 19-11-2013, 04:39   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndytheSailor View Post
Hi All,

I am a Brit based on the East coast of the UK and expecting to start a circumnavigation towards the back end of next year. At some point before crossing into the Pacific I would like to visit the US. This is not a definite as it will depend on time, weather, money etc. Is it better to get a visa before I leave the UK or from one of the islands in the West Indies once I am sure that is my destination?

Thanks

Andy
Most certainly get it in the UK before you leave

Dave
Old 19-11-2013, 08:40   #6

Thanks people, as usual this site comes up trumps. A trip to London it is then!

Andy