Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2016, 15:40   #1

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3
VIDEO: Checking into cuba. 2015, as an American

Hi all,
Trying to be a good member of cruisers forum and being a helpful guy that i am. Here is a preview of my check in experience into Cuba. This is what to expect. No more guessing....

No you will not go to jail.....

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 16:18   #2

Re: VIDEO: Checking into cuba. 2015, as an American

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post
Hi all,
Trying to be a good member of cruisers forum and being a helpful guy that i am. Here is a preview of my check in experience into Cuba. This is what to expect. No more guessing....

No you will not go to jail.....
Great video. Thanks. I think the issues are not on the Cuban side. They are happy to receive tourists and their dollars. The issue is with the United States law. If you are a US Citizen and you haven't received US permission to travel to Cuba you are in big trouble. That being the case I would be very careful if you are a US citizen sailing back into US waters. If you are a US Citizen on a US flagged vessel then I would be worried on any waters after leaving the territorial waters of Cuba. You can be boarded, questioned and detained for breaking US law. I could be wrong and behind the times on the US law. For your sake I hope so especially since you have presented evidence of your check into Cuba. If there is any substance to my concerns I would be asking the moderators for special permission to take down your posting. I saying all this as a fellow CF'r and a subscriber to your channel. Ive enjoyed your youtube posts and I seriously don't want anything bad to happen. Kind regards, Chaya
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 16:27   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hi all,
being a helpful guy that i am.
I am curious how you did/are handling the US side of the equation:

1. What category of authorized travel did you qualify under to get the required treasury license? Are you keeping the required very detailed financial records and accounting (required for all the license categories)?

2. Did you stay in cuba for more than 14 days? If so, did you get the required separate permit (SNAP-R) from the Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) allowing the vessel to enter Cuba.

3. Did you get the required USCG Permit to enter cuban waters?
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 16:29   #4

Boat: Endeavour 40, Sold, looking for a 44'-50 cat or mono.

Why dont you just say i need some youtube hits?
svGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 16:33   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post

1. What category of authorized travel did you qualify under to get the required treasury license? Are you keeping the required very detailed financial records and accounting (required for all the license categories)?

2. Did you stay in cuba for more than 14 days? If so, did you get the required separate permit (SNAP-R) from the Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) allowing the vessel to enter Cuba.

I think he is in deep doodoo. And he doesn't realize it.
Old 05-01-2016, 16:37   #6

Boat: Bristol 47.7

You said you declared your firearms. Did they let you keep them onboard, impound until you left, count your ammo, some other regimen? Or do we need to watch your next vid for all that?
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 16:38   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post

Nope,

Nope,

Nope,

I sailed directly back to America from Cuba. No issues. The Customs guy was a Cuban American and was super nice.... ( he didn't care that we had been to Cuba.)

Its kinda like those laws on the books in Virginia about Co habitation and adultery, They are on the books... but who's enforcing them!?!?!?!?!?

-Jedi master Yoda
Old 05-01-2016, 16:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
You said you declared your firearms. Did they let you keep them onboard, impound until you left, count your ammo, some other regimen? Or do we need to watch your next vid for all that?
In marina Hemingway they keep them in the office. When sailing to other ports without marinas, they put tape over your Arms locker and you keep them aboard. And yes, all ammo was counted.

-Jedi master Yoda
Old 05-01-2016, 16:43   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
Great video. Thanks. I think the issues are not on the Cuban side. They are happy to receive tourists and their dollars. The issue is with the United States law. If you are a US Citizen and you haven't received US permission to travel to Cuba you are in big trouble. That being the case I would be very careful if you are a US citizen sailing back into US waters. If you are a US Citizen on a US flagged vessel then I would be worried on any waters after leaving the territorial waters of Cuba. You can be boarded, questioned and detained for breaking US law. I could be wrong and behind the times on the US law. For your sake I hope so especially since you have presented evidence of your check into Cuba. If there is any substance to my concerns I would be asking the moderators for special permission to take down your posting. I saying all this as a fellow CF'r and a subscriber to your channel. Ive enjoyed your youtube posts and I seriously don't want anything bad to happen. Kind regards, Chaya
In the Marina Hemingway, 90% of all boats are form south Florida, And make trips back to the states regularly. They are all apparently breaking the archaic law.

Hey, I'm just saying what i saw.

-Jedi master Yoda
Old 05-01-2016, 16:44   #10

Quote:

Nope,

Nope,

Nope,

I sailed directly back to America from Cuba. No issues. The Customs guy was a Cuban American and was super nice.... ( he didn't care that we had been to Cuba.)

Its kinda like those laws on the books in Virginia about Co habitation and adultery, They are on the books... but who's enforcing them!?!?!?!?!?
Glad to hear you made it back safe to the US. I still think you are in legal jeopardy even though you were waived through into the US in Florida. Some CG Captains are seriously enforcing the law. The US Congress has not changed the law. I believe there was a sailor arrested off the Keys last month.
Old 05-01-2016, 16:46   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by svGenesis View Post
Why dont you just say i need some youtube hits?
I need you tube hits.You happy. lol

I am a contractor dude, I Haven't taken any money from people, and I make pennies from You Tube.

You Keep on being helpful on the forums though....

Ill keep relaying my experiences to those that are ACTUALLY cruising...

-Jedi master Yoda
Old 06-01-2016, 04:08   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Nope,

Nope,

Nope,

Interesting thanks.

I am aware of two boats that have been fined very recently on return from cuba, and many that have not been. I am trying to sort out what distinguishes them.

So, I am curious:

1. Did you run AIS on your return from cuba? The two boats that were fined both did, and that may be a visible red flag for the USCG.

2. Where did you check back in to the US? The two boats that were fined checked in KW and I wonder if there is a specific local authority who is zealous there.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:04   #13

Boat: Kanter Yachts Steel Spray 38

I just returned from Canada with a (yes, only one) Cuban cigar for a friend. I declared it at customs; the official made 3 phone calls, then passed me to another customs officer in another area. I pulled out my cigar, and she said, "only one? I thought you had a box. Put it away and go to your gate." It just goes to show the differences between what different agents consider good or bad...
TKDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:06   #14

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Natraps, thanks for the video. It is helpful to get real information. Thanks for sharing.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:08   #15

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Natraps, what was your impression of Cuba as a cruising ground? Were you able to sail and anchor where you wanted? How was the language barrier? I am sure the people are friendly. How is the food and prices? Are they gearing up for the yachting crowd? So curious...
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba