Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2012, 13:32   #1

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970
USCG VSC Inspection - Any Tips or Ideas ?

I want to get the sticker and think it is a good idea. I went thru the virtual ok, AFAIK.
How long does it take?
How much fine detail do they get when looking over the boat?

Like one thing is I have my round lifesaver float hanging on the rail, but the floating line is inside the cabin. It would be better to keep it together? How do you store that line. Mine is currently rolled up on a hand held orange extension cord holder to keep it untangled.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 15:57   #2

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason
Re: USCG VSC inspection any tips or ideas?

It takes about 20 minutes to have the inspection... I did one every year wen we were in the US.

This ia a good way to know what the USCG expects on your boat and get you familiar with were the equipment is.

Contact your local Coast Guard Auxillary and then should be able to have someone come out to your boat.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 09:23   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

sd, the time will vary depending on how many inspectors there are. When you call to ask, ask them for a rough idea.

Putting the life ring on the rail without the line attached to it, renders it semi-useless. If you can't grab it and throw it INSTANTLY with the line pre-attached, you will be out of range before you can attach the line and throw it. Coil the line neatly, and if needed use some light lashing or rubber bands (which need to be replaced from time to time) to keep it neat. Or a couple of velcro straps. Expect to use your knife, which you do carry at all times, right?, to cut the lashings before you throw it, if you've lashed it.

Since there is no fine for failing a voluntary inspection, ask the team how to best attach and stow that line, then just "do it" while they're working on the rest.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 04:59   #4

That sounds good. I have a velcro strap I can attach this line to the rail where the ring sits.
Old 27-06-2012, 05:09   #5

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

You can also contact your local US Power Squadrons chapter for the VSC as well. It's a cooperative activity that both groups support. I highly recommend it as well, especially if you are new to boating or not sure exactly what you are required to have on board. Plus, the safety check will also point out things that are "recommended" but may not be legally required.

As already pointed out, the VSC takes very little time. The inspectors are trained on the process and can likely give you pointers along the way. If you fail, there is no worry about a ticket, as they have no authority to issue one or to report you. Once you fix whatever was missing, etc they can come back and quickly issue the sticker.

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 05:12   #6

does the radio antenna need to be hooked up for a 37 foot boat? Right now it is on its side. I need to reinstall the mount. I also have a handheld VHF
Old 27-06-2012, 05:24   #7

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
does the radio antenna need to be hooked up for a 37 foot boat? Right now it is on its side. I need to reinstall the mount. I also have a handheld VHF
A radio is not a required part of the check or a federal rule. There is a list of recommended items they ask you about. The radio is on that list.

You said you did the virtual, was there a question about the radio there?

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 05:29   #8

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

There is no federal requirement for a marine radio (and I assume none for any US state), but your handheld would certainly comply would there be such a requirement.

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 05:52   #9

Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vPainkiller View Post
There is no federal requirement for a marine radio (and I assume none for any US state), but your handheld would certainly comply would there be such a requirement.

Scott
Scott you are partcially correct...

There is no requirement for to have a Marine VHF radio on a recreational boat, but

if you have a Marine VHF Radio on your recreational vessel it has to be operational and monitoring Channel 16 (Optional CHannel 9) in t United States...

Refer to Code of Federal Regulations 47 CFR 80.310:

47 CFR 80.310 - Watch required by voluntary vessels. - Code of Federal Regulations - Title 47: Telecommunication - Subpart G: Safety Watch Requirements and Procedures - Id 19855789 - vLex

Old 29-06-2012, 06:43   #10

My inspector has never heard of a "LectraSan" MDS type 1 device.
On the phone, he did say he would see if it was legal in the lower Chesapeake bay. Anyone ever heard of a LectraSan being an illegal device here?
He said I have to go offshore 3 miles to dump or lock seacock closed.
So I printed out some info from Raritan on the device. Is there an appeal process if he refuses to give me a sticker cause I use a LectraSan?

Anyway he is coming today to look at the boat so will see what happens.

Since he is unfamiliar with it, what If some police stop me and want to fine me cause they never heard of it either. This is one of the reasons I want to get a USCG window sticker.
Old 29-06-2012, 06:50   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

any legal msd is good-including bucket with lid on it. have current flares and extinguishers and pfds and navregs if you are big enough to qualify for that---working radio and your name in exactly the correct position and size on transom...throw ring or mob device.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 07:04   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

sd, you as a new boat owner can arguably be forgiven for not knowing all the rules. Although they are easy enough to look up, to find out IF you are in a NDZ No Discharge Zone among other things.

Your volunteer inspector...sorry, tell him to take off the uniform, stow the flag, take his butt back to New London for retraining 7:00AM sharp Monday morning, because he damned well out to recognize the name LectraSan if he's going to be allowed within twenty feet of marine heads.

Appeal process? Yeah, if he's wrong you keelhaul him on the spot. If he's right, you go find a zip-tie and he then passes you as "remedied".

Maryland Department of Natural Resources - Boating

It is for you to figure out if you are berthed in an NDZ or whether you sail through one. Last I heard, "all" of the Chessie wasn't an NDZ. Yet. You might want to check.

Raritan Engineering | Lectra/San FAQ

"A7Is the Lectra/San legal in all waters?
No. The Lectra/San is legal in most navigable and coastline areas where salt water is available and a tidal flow in and out exists. It is not legal in Federally designated no discharge areas.
"

If you don't have a holding tank, you want to think about plumbing. Or buying a cedar bucket. And meantime, invest in a batch of zip-ties or a padlock that fits something in your system, so it can be postively "secured" against discharge when you're near an NDZ.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 08:08   #13

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

I think you're too worried about getting this sticker.

It doesn't prevent the USCG from boarding you if they want. I think the likelyhood of being stopped is low with or without sticker. View the inspection as more a way to find out what you need to know.

I've seen them board every powerboat in the area and didn't stop a single sailboat. Someone here also reported this kind of behavior in another area and asked a friend in the CG about, they said the sailboaters tend to know the rules and have their equipment.

Though I've heard from friends sailing around border areas say they are much more likely to be stopped for "safety checks".

This is not a USCG safety inspection, it is an Auxiliary inspection, these guys are volunteers. I knew all the basics when I had an inspection years ago. When I asked about parts I'd read that I wasn't sure about, he wasn't able to answer a single question.

As far as the bucket issue, it is not legal to throw a bucket of sewage off the boat. That's why one person mentioned a lid. Then you're using it as a Type III device and holding it.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 13:31   #14

The appropriate federal regulation that governs marine sewage discharge is:

33 CFR 159.33

A device must:
(a) Under the test conditions described in §§ 159.123 and 159.125, produce an effluent having a fecal coliform bacteria count not greater than 1,000 per 100 milliliters and no visible floating solids (Type I),
(b) Under the test conditions described in §§ 159.126 and 159.126a, produce an effluent having a fecal coliform bacteria count not greater than 200 per 100 milliliters and suspended solids not greater than 150 milligrams per liter (Type II), or
(c) Be designed to prevent the overboard discharge of treated or untreated sewage or any waste derived from sewage (Type III).

For the full test go here:
33 CFR 159.53 - General requirements. | LII / Legal Information Institute

Hope that helps

Old 29-06-2012, 13:37   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

"A7Is the Lectra/San legal in all waters?
No. The Lectra/San is legal in most navigable and coastline areas where salt water is available and a tidal flow in and out exists. It is not legal in Federally designated no discharge areas.
"

If you don't have a holding tank, you want to think about plumbing. Or buying a cedar bucket. And meantime, invest in a batch of zip-ties or a padlock that fits something in your system, so it can be postively "secured" against discharge when you're near an NDZ.
40 CFR 140.3 governs where you can discharge marine sewage...

Here is a link to the full text, which is pretty extensive... but Hello Sailors qoute is
pretty close.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/40/140.3

Tags
inspection