Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2015, 07:50   #1

Boat: Custom 55
USCG licence equivalent to ICC?

Hi all, as we learn more about Europe, I've seen the 'international certificate of competence' mentioned a few times.

I hold a current USCG 1600 ton master's license. Is it safe to assume that this will be considered enough evidence of competence over there? Or perhaps not...

It sounds like some countries do actually want to see this, so I'm curious if anybody knows the answer. Of course, if it's like VAT, there seems to be no particular answer. Perhaps this is the same?

Thanks, TJ
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 08:24   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: USCG licence equivalent to ICC?

TJ -- you have more qualifications than we have and we just finished our 2nd year in the Med. We have been asked for our license/qualifications a couple of times and when I say I don't have one they just wave it off.

Except Montenegro who told me we had to leave their waters immediately. I told them I had ASA certification and showed them my book with the stamps and they accepted that.

So for you no issue.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 08:37   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

You may want to add a sailing endorsement to your license. The exam is very easy.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 08:50   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
You may want to add a sailing endorsement to your license. The exam is very easy.
Good idea, David. Perhaps I'll tack that on when I renew next year.

TJ
Old 01-03-2015, 15:30   #5

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Your license exceeds their requirements by a long shot!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 15:34   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Only two counties in the med require competency Certs by law. Croatia and Montenegro. Both have long lists of accepted qualifications. Check if yours is on the list. Generally they don't include commercial licenses
Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2015, 22:37   #7

Boat: Lagoon 400

http://media.wix.com/ugd/089a44_4995...004b1363c3.pdf

Croatian list of recognised licences.
USA starts at #36.

I believe that you will need to produce one of the listed or persuade them that your licence is equivalent or higher.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:19   #8

Well, I'll be darned. I think that I'll probably be fine with the 1600 ticket, but it would be pretty amusing to get kicked out of Croatia or Montenegro because my commercial ticket wasn't good enough....

If only I'd taken the basic keelboat class, now THERE's a credential which is a guarantee of competence!

Funny stuff, this government business.

Thanks to everybody for the tips.

TJ
Old 03-03-2015, 04:46   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
Well, I'll be darned. I think that I'll probably be fine with the 1600 ticket, but it would be pretty amusing to get kicked out of Croatia or Montenegro because my commercial ticket wasn't good enough....

If only I'd taken the basic keelboat class, now THERE's a credential which is a guarantee of competence!

Funny stuff, this government business.

Thanks to everybody for the tips.

TJ
I would bet dollars to donuts that the list of acceptable US qualifications is just intended to clarify which non-official qualifications are accepted. Surely the Croatians are obligated to recognize an official 1600 ton master's ticket.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:58   #10

Hi Dockhead, I'm sure you're right. I've got a 3000 ton international endorsement, too. Mostly I was just amused by the idea of getting tossed for lacking basic keelboat 101 (I'm at sea in Alaska right now, on the night watch at 0400, needed a laugh), I didn't take it too seriously.

By the way, I'm not on here all that much, but your posts are among the best on here. Thoughtful, informative, and always polite. Well done.

TJ
Old 03-03-2015, 05:02   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Not to knock any commercial certs but I had a bazillion-ton "Master" on my boat and he couldn't sail for sh!t.

I also had an airline captain in my piper warrior who couldn't fly for sh!t.

Small boats ---> Big Boats = not the same
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:09   #12

Absolutely correct, ex-Calif. The license alone means nothing. (also, you can have all the ASA certs in the world and still not have a clue) We've kicked more than a few licensed guys off of our boats out here on the Bering Sea.

The non-sailing master I can understand, seeing as how the difference between sail and commercial is huge, but the pilot who couldn't fly is a bit disconcerting!

But for the purposes of this thread, I was just asking about the requirements over in Europe after learning about the ICC thing.

TJ
Old 03-03-2015, 05:25   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
Absolutely correct, ex-Calif. The license alone means nothing. (also, you can have all the ASA certs in the world and still not have a clue) We've kicked more than a few licensed guys off of our boats out here on the Bering Sea.

The non-sailing master I can understand, seeing as how the difference between sail and commercial is huge, but the pilot who couldn't fly is a bit disconcerting!

But for the purposes of this thread, I was just asking about the requirements over in Europe after learning about the ICC thing.

TJ
I might be a bit hard on the airline guy... He wasn't unsafe but there is a big difference landing an apartment sized airplane vs. a light single. Being two stories off the ground when the wheels touch is part of it. Not to hijack an entire sailing forum but he consistently flared "high" and the plane would drop like a sack of potatoes anywhere from 5-10 feet above the ground.

The analogy might be like letting go of the tiller on a small boat 20 feet from the dock and hoping for the best -

Where's the damn tugboat at, homey?
Old 03-03-2015, 05:34   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Not to knock any commercial certs but I had a bazillion-ton "Master" on my boat and he couldn't sail for sh!t.

I also had an airline captain in my piper warrior who couldn't fly for sh!t.

Small boats ---> Big Boats = not the same
LOL! Agree completely! Also based on real experience But we're not talking about ability, we're talking about legality.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:54   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
LOL! Agree completely! Also based on real experience But we're not talking about ability, we're talking about legality.
Yeah it's kind of funny. I recently browsed into the morass that is USCG certification of seaman and all I can say is that it is a mess. My son is 17 and looking for a career but that is a different story. He's is inches away from joining the US Navy then I am FREE!!! I didn't tell him I am taking his college fund and buying a boat (shhhh!)

What strikes me is "getting sea time" - It appears all you have to be doing is sitting on a boat picking your nose and it counts. You can also end up driving a 400 meter ship and never piloted a 20-40 footer.

At least with commercial aviation you know that everyone started in a light plane at some point. They all spent the minimum 40 hours demonstrating the same maneuvers and competencies. Then they got instrument rated, commercial rated and multi-engine rated. Each with hours and a list of competencies to demonstrate.

Commercial shipping seems more about gaining useless time on a boat and passing written tests.

Sorry about all this aviation comparison stuff tonight - I need to go to bed - LOL...

Tags
enc, icc