Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 13:55   #1

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
USCG Documentation Issues

Applied to change the ownership of my USCG documented boat 20 Nov 2012. Last Friday got an email saying my paperwork was incomplete. For what ever reason (I claim the USCG lost one of the fax pages but have no recourse) I need to send them another copy of the bill of sale. I am also trying to get priority handeling of the process.

Anyone done this before. I think I understand everything except the part about using FEDX or some other service to get the documentation to me quickly. I will try and call them up tomorrow. The hours have been cut and it is after 4:00 PM USCG time. I am in a marina living on the boat now and not at my home address so this is a small problem.

Any help welcome.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 13:58   #2

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Re: USCG Documentation Issues

Isn't there a website to monitor the process?
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 13:59   #3

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch

What they are saying is that they want you to go to FEDEX and get a prepaid envelope addressed back to you. YOu put that waybill and envelope in your envelope that you are sending to them. If you are faxing, you are out of luck, but in this case it may be better to send hard copies to them, getting a signature that they were delivered. It may be a bit pricey, but in the long run . . .
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 14:00   #4

Boat: Skookum 53'

There will be an additional charge if you want them to use Fed EX for the return. It is usually a pretty benign process. I've always just used snail mail. Are you getting ready to depart? I am not understanding the need for speed.
Old 04-03-2013, 14:12   #5

Boat: Rafiki 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Applied to change the ownership of my USCG documented boat 20 Nov 2012. Last Friday got an email saying my paperwork was incomplete. For what ever reason (I claim the USCG lost one of the fax pages but have no recourse) I need to send them another copy of the bill of sale. I am also trying to get priority handeling of the process.

Anyone done this before. I think I understand everything except the part about using FEDX or some other service to get the documentation to me quickly. I will try and call them up tomorrow. The hours have been cut and it is after 4:00 PM USCG time. I am in a marina living on the boat now and not at my home address so this is a small problem.

Any help welcome.
I applied for transfer of ownership in August 2012, notified in Dec that they were missing documentation from the bank, I provided it and went back to the end of the processing line.... I'm still waiting... Good luck.

www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/nvdcprocessdate.asp
Deepdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 14:15   #6

They typically have a 3-6 month backlog. It's very frustrating, but there is little you can do. There is a link on their website that tells you what submission dates they are currently processing. Recreational initial and reissues are 11/19/12 and 11/15/12 respectively, so they are 4.5 months behind at the moment.

I've always just kept copies of the filed paperwork, and requested confirmation of receipt. I've submitted all paperwork via email in PDF form, and receive receipt the same way. Then if anyone ever asks, I'll just show that I have applied and am waiting for the paperwork back.

They have very specific criteria to qualify for expedited service. I don't remember what it was, but do know I didn't qualify. If you are leaving the country in the boat that might get your expedited processing.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 14:15   #7

Boat: Finnsailer 38

There is no need to rush unless you are about to leave the country on the boat. As far as I know, most law enforcement in the USA will accept copies of your documentation paperwork as proof that you are good to go.

From the USCG website:

Quote:
PRIORITY HANDLING CRITERIA

Requests for expedited handling of vessel documentation applications should be sent to the National Vessel Documentation Center (NVDC) with all of the following:

1. The name and official number or other unique identifier of the vessel.

2. The full and correct name of the applicant(s).

3. The date the application was sent to the NVDC (and if, available, the date of receipt by the NVDC).

4. The reason priority handling should be approved.

5. The planned departure date and location (city, state, country) if for foreign travel.

6. The special delivery need (FedEx, Airborne, etc. with account number or prepaid packaging) or other special instructions.

SPECIAL NOTE: Priority requests must be signed by the vessel owner or managing owner and contain the following statement:
“I (we) understand that making a false statement when applying for vessel documentation may subject the vessel to seizure by and forfeiture to the United States government. (46 USC §12151, formerly 46 USC § 12122)”

Bold letters and the words “PRIORITY REQUEST” should appear on the first page of any submission requesting expeditious handling. Requests not accompanied by applications or other paperwork may be faxed to 304 271 2410.

Your submission will be reviewed on a priority basis based on our approval of your request. If your submission is subject to a deficiency, a new request for priority service will be required when you reply to the deficiency letter.
Old 04-03-2013, 14:32   #8

I am currently in Marathon waiting for the documentation and a weather window to head to Bimini, Chub, and then down to Gerogetown. I bought the boat in Nov and thought spending a while feeling it out in the Keys would be a good idea before I headed South. I would like to get out of the country before the weather gets so hot I want to head North.

I am kinda bummed out that the process is not better documented. If I had been told when the paperwork was submitted that there were some silly errors, like two boxes not being checked it would have made life a lot easier. Another problem is that the boat is registered in Florida, but you do not get a title if it is a documented boat.

Anyone know if you can go to the Bahamas with just the application stuff I faxed and confirmation from the USCG that I have applied to transfer the documentation. I really want to get out of the Marathon vortex.
Old 04-03-2013, 14:35   #9

If you're a Florida resident the boat has to be state registered as well as documented, and you can cruise the Bahamas with just a state registration. Your boat has to be state registered from some state to cruise in Florida according to the FWC.
Old 04-03-2013, 14:39   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
If you're a Florida resident the boat has to be state registered as well as documented, and you can cruise the Bahamas with just a state registration. Your boat has to be state registered from some state to cruise in Florida according to the FWC.
I am a Florida resident and the boat is registered. But Florida does not issue a title if the boat is documented so I have very minimal paper work, basically a sticker and the paper it came on, but I did get a lot more stuff for my dinky since it is not documented.

Does anyone know what it takes to qualify for priority handeling by the USCG.
Old 04-03-2013, 14:41   #11

See my post above with the information from the CG on priority handling.
Old 04-03-2013, 14:43   #12

Boat: Rafiki 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post

I am a Florida resident and the boat is registered. But Florida does not issue a title if the boat is documented so I have very minimal paper work, basically a sticker and the paper it came on, but I did get a lot more stuff for my dinky since it is not documented.

Does anyone know what it takes to qualify for priority handeling by the USCG.
I've had success emailing - takes a few days to get a reply.

NVDC.W.Webmaster@uscg.mil
Deepdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 20:12   #13

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Tom - Did you have any luck entering the Bahamas with just the copy of your USCG documentation application?

I know this is an old thread - but it would be great to close the loop as it came up in my search for how to enter the Bahamas without any real documentation

Dan
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 16:05   #14

Location: My boat is on the Wicomico Creek in MD. Off of the Chesapeake Bay.
Boat: Tartan 30

Just ran across this thread and thought I would pass this along. I emailed my entire package to the USCG along with their credit card payment form. I had not even received the hardcopy bill of sale. I had the broker scan it and email it to me after I wired the purchase money. I attached that scan with the USCG forms in the submission email. This was in late April 2015 and they had my Certificate of Documentation in the mail two weeks later. It never showed up in their work tracking system. The process was fairly easy and apparently third parties charge 200-400 to handle the paperwork which was not in my budget. This was an already documented boat. Change of owner and hailing port.

When I was on the water sailing from where I purchased the boat on Martha's Vineyard to where I am keeping her in Maryland, I carried a copy of the entire packet just in case I was stopped. It is supposed to work but luckily I was not stopped.

The certificate was in Maryland the day after I arrived. It had to be forwarded from my actual mailing address so that added a few days. I was shocked as I kept hearing it would take many months. When the letter from the USCG arrived I was sure it was the result of some error in my submission, but it wasn't! I was looking at having to register in MD and put MD numbers on the boat in the interim but luckily I did not have to do so.

So, it seems that perhaps the backlog is history.

Hank
Tartan 30 #155
Sunday's Child
Eden, MD
ksoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 16:12   #15

We scanned and emailed all of our documents and had our new COD in about two weeks in December of 2013 ....when they claimed the backlog was three months....I think they say that just to avoid being hassled by impatient new owners.....

www.learntoliveaboard.com
motaman9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation