Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2022, 18:18   #1

USA Customs Decal...

The USA allows you to buy an annual customs decal for $32 that covers all charges for clearing in as many times as you need to for the year.

It used to be, that when clearing in the customs decal number was always required. Then, last year, I was clearing in a delivery boat without a decal. The CBP ROAM app wouldn't allow me to finish without the decal number. I called for help and CBP's advice was "just enter eight zeros" and the app will let you finish. It worked, and we were cleared in without question, and paying no fee.

Last week, again clearing in on a delivery boat without a decal: This time ROAM doesn't even ask for the decal number, the CBP officers who did the inspection never mentioned it. Again, no fee.

I am feeling a bit like a chump for paying for this decal (our 2023 decal was just delivered) that nobody cares about and is supposed to be needed to avoid paying a fee that nobody ever collects.
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2022, 18:35   #2

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: USA Customs Decal...

It was required to clear into Puerto Rico this spring. They wanted a real number and I paid the fee. What’s the big deal? It’s “chump” change. LoL
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2022, 18:56   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDepends View Post
I am feeling a bit like a chump for paying for this decal (our 2023 decal was just delivered) that nobody cares about and is supposed to be needed to avoid paying a fee that nobody ever collects.
I was a chump for paying it in 2020 and 2021 when they wouldn't let me bring my own boat across the border. Strangely we delivered quite a few boats across the border in both directions under a commercial exemption (just like a truck driver) but could not bring our own.
Old 16-12-2022, 12:29   #4

Boat: Trlåren 31

I took my boat from Alaska down to Washington in 2020. I didn't have a decal and wasn't using the CBProam app (It wouldn't work with my phone). When I checked in with US customs in Friday Harbor, WA, they made me buy the sticker.

My friend took his boat from Washington to Alaska the same year and checked through customs in Ketchikan using the app. He didn't have the sticker and wasn't required to buy it.

We moved back to Alaska this summer. I had a sticker and used the app (new phone). No problem and no face-to-face visit with customs required.

I can't say about the app but I think anytime there's a face to face encounter it largely depends on the discretion of the border agent.
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2022, 12:46   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nord Sal View Post
I took my boat from Alaska down to Washington in 2020. I didn't have a decal and wasn't using the CBProam app (It wouldn't work with my phone). When I checked in with US customs in Friday Harbor, WA, they made me buy the sticker.

My friend took his boat from Washington to Alaska the same year and checked through customs in Ketchikan using the app. He didn't have the sticker and wasn't required to buy it.

We moved back to Alaska this summer. I had a sticker and used the app (new phone). No problem and no face-to-face visit with customs required.

I can't say about the app but I think anytime there's a face to face encounter it largely depends on the discretion of the border agent.

Delivering a US boat from a US port to a US port about 10yrs ago I was randomly boarded upon landing. He demanded it in cash, no credit cards accepted. It ain't only in Mexico.
Old 16-12-2022, 12:53   #6

Boat: Trlåren 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nord Sal View Post
. . . but I think anytime there's a face to face encounter it largely depends on the discretion of the border agent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Delivering a US boat from a US port to a US port about 10yrs ago I was randomly boarded upon landing. He demanded it in cash, no credit cards accepted. It ain't only in Mexico.
No doubt some use more discretion than others.
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2022, 13:01   #7

Boat: Morgan 382

I have always needed the decal, and when clearing in with the ROAM app without one, I was called and made to buy one.

I can only guess that it depends on the port. Maybe a mostly commercial port that doesn't use the ROAM app often, or doesn't use the decal often, will let it slide.
Old 16-12-2022, 17:41   #8

Boat: 50' navy utility trawler conversion

I haven't had one since 2007, and have entered the US multiple times since then, including getting a couple of cruising permits. Nobody has ever raised an issue.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2022, 17:56   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
I haven't had one since 2007, and have entered the US multiple times since then, including getting a couple of cruising permits. Nobody has ever raised an issue.
I've done a couple of hundred entries since 94' on our boats and deliveries.
I'm guessing we've been asked for the decal number maybe 30% of the time
Old 16-12-2022, 19:29   #10

Boat: 50' navy utility trawler conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I've done a couple of hundred entries since 94' on our boats and deliveries.
I'm guessing we've been asked for the decal number maybe 30% of the time
And what's happened when you didn't have one?
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2022, 20:45   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
And what's happened when you didn't have one?
One demanded payment in cash ... no receipt
A few let it go when told we we're exempt as we had a cruising license.
Most demanded payment ... cc and receipt.

A curious thing. I can't be bothered digging it out (I think it's in CFR. Title 33) but I do know that if one has a cruising license a decal is not required. some of the CPB don't know their own rules. CBP and local sherrifs don't know that one in my experience

Another rule I've had trouble with is the no license numbers on my dinghy with a 9.9hp motor. As you know, no license numbers required in Canada but are required in the US (state registration). Foreign vessels are exempt under CFR. Title 46, as long as they conform to the laws of their country of register (documentation to Americans).

We've also had issues with Canadian Customs not knowing their own rules. The last one was delivering a US boat to Port Credit during the big covid shutdown. We had a commercial license exemption from quarantine issued by CPB but the officer on the scene refused to accept it. We were held onboard for 24hrs while a lawyer raised holy hell with customs.

Not really impressed with any of these people. Give a high school grad a badge, a gun and unlimited authority and thats what you get. I've got lots of other examples including having a "ship" illegally arrested for a smokey exhaust in the Detroit River.
The USCG saved us from that one. PS. Can't say enough good things about USCG.

Tags
cal, customs, USA