Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 12:42   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
US National Med Clearance

Hi All:
I'm not expecting to find exactly what I am looking for will layout the situation. We have a UK registered SSR 1 boat. The crew is mostly US Passport. We keep the boat in Italy. I am looking at leaving Italy and going to Corsica and then to Sardinia. Am I going to have to check into Corsica(France) and then check back into Italy? If so where would I do so? Does it have to be at a port of Entry? If you have experience with a US documented boat I would love to hear your opinion on the regulations.

I tried to do a search on this but wasn't able to find any answers.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:47   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: US National Med Clearance

Both are EU so no check-out's nor check-in's. Your passports are stamped when you enter the EU (ask for it if not) and from that day on you have 90 days before you have to leave the EU again, assuming US passports. Some countries need visa, like S.A., Russia etc.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 13:24   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Both are EU so no check-out's nor check-in's. Your passports are stamped when you enter the EU (ask for it if not) and from that day on you have 90 days before you have to leave the EU again, assuming US passports. Some countries need visa, like S.A., Russia etc.

cheers,
Nick.
No customs between EU countries, but immigration (passport control) is a separate issue -- you do have that if you travel between a Schengen and non-Schengen country like, for example, between the UK and France.

It's quite funny, actually, sailing between UK, Channel Islands, and France (as I often do):

UK to Channel Islands -- no passport control, but customs
UK to France -- no customs, but passport control
Channel Islands to France -- customs and passport control

Sounds confusing, but you do get used to it. Fortunately, it is all extremely laxly enforced, and easy to comply with even if you're a stickler.
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 14:36   #4
Armchair Bucketeer

UK Reg Boat can come and go as it pleases within all the EU.

Crew is a seperate matter - and depends on Visa held, if a 90 schengen visa then Italy and France in that so no check in required when simply travelling between, but if another national only visa (as a resident?) then might need to check in when you swap countries - no idea!, but easy enough for the person concerned to check. Unlikely anyone would care though.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 15:12   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Once you check in on entering the Schengen area yiu do not need to check in or in act out again
You only need to check in if you leave the area in the meantime

Dave
Old 12-04-2013, 16:00   #6

Boat: Sceptre 41

It is all very confusing. I guess I will try to slip under the radar and then apologize profusely if there is a problem. Taken seperatley (sp?) The boat is UK registered so it has no need to check in to different countries in the EU. The people off the boat have US passports so have no reason to check in to different countries. The question becomes will the people on the boat have to check in.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 01:08   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
It is all very confusing. I guess I will try to slip under the radar and then apologize profusely if there is a problem. Taken seperatley (sp?) The boat is UK registered so it has no need to check in to different countries in the EU. The people off the boat have US passports so have no reason to check in to different countries. The question becomes will the people on the boat have to check in.
I don't see why the means of transportation into a country makes any difference to whether a person needs to check in (with immigration).

Whether they arrive by aeroplane, boat or bicycle , for a Non EU national comes to down to what Visa you have - and what the requirements of that are (not the passport - albeit that will no doubt play a part in getting the Visa in the first place, US passport probably easier than Somali )......for a Schengen Visa (on a US or Somali passport!) no need to check in between Italy and France - in any event Sardinia part of Italy, so not actually crossing a border when leaving the Italian mainland .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote