Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2019, 08:39   #1

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'
US Documentation of a Foreign Built Vessel?

Our boat was built in Canada. We brought it to the US five years ago and have been registered in Washington state ever since. We've learned that the Jones Act of 1920 prohibits foreign built vessels from being US Documented.

We were told recently (by someone we don't know well, but seems to be knowledgeable) that getting a waiver for the prohibition shouldn't be a big deal and they were granted fairly often.

Has anyone out there done this? How difficult was it? Mounds of paperwork/internet and time? Or easy-peasy?

Thanks everyone.
Old 30-03-2019, 09:27   #2

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Re: US Documentation of a Foreign Built Vessel?

We have not done this, as our boat was already documented in the US when we purchased her about 10 years ago.

However, she was built in Surrey, Canada and is now documented in the US, so it can be done. I wish I could tell you specifics on how to do it. Best of luck.

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 09:34   #3

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

Foreign-built recreational vessels can be documented in the US without any problem. Commercial vessels are different (and the Jones Act has nothing to do with it).

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 09:58   #4

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartleyg View Post
Foreign-built recreational vessels can be documented in the US without any problem. Commercial vessels are different (and the Jones Act has nothing to do with it).

Hartley
S/V Atsa
This is the correct answer.
Old 30-03-2019, 10:16   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Jones Act regulates to moving cargo between US ports, requiring a US flagged vessel. Doesn't relate to private vessels as far as I know.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 11:18   #6

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Where do you think all the benes, jennes and cats sailing around with the Stars and Stripes hanging aft were built.........Miami?
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 11:23   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

As Hartley said.
And when in doubt, a fast phone call to the very friendly and professional folks at the vessel documentation center will get you accurate information on any part of the whole process--much more reliable than "some guy" or random posts on the internet.

Now, if you are planning commercial use or putting the vessel in "coastwise trade", that's something else again. The folks at the VDC will still have the right answers for you.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 11:31   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
As Hartley said.
And when in doubt, a fast phone call to the very friendly and professional folks at the vessel documentation center will get you accurate information on any part of the whole process--much more reliable than "some guy" or random posts on the internet.

Now, if you are planning commercial use or putting the vessel in "coastwise trade", that's something else again. The folks at the VDC will still have the right answers for you.
Absolutely. The USCG documentation center is one of the very few government offices that answers the phone and is able to answer questions on the spot.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 12:15   #9

Also agree. In 2015 we purchased a Canadian flagged Jeanneau, which was built in France and had no issues documenting her in the US. As others have said the vessel cannot be chartered or used in coastwise trade.
nmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 08:52   #10

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Thanks everyone. I realize from reading your answers that I didn't include all the pertinent data (sometimes I just get too inside my head )

Our boat is custom built so unlike the Bene's and FPs the details of the build are contained in the final survey of the boat and some pictures taken during the build. With that in mind I wasn't sure if we could document or not.
Old 31-03-2019, 09:04   #11

Boat: Taswell 43

We are US citizens, and were living/working in The Philippines. Our Taswell 43 was built in Taiwan, to specific spec (custom??) for a Hong Kong Resident and dealer, later sold to a Brit who registered her in Singapore. We bought her, canceled the Singapore registration, sailed to The Philippines, and applied for USCG Documentation. Filled out the form, submitted, and...we're documented! And have been now for 19 years. Not an issue!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 09:30   #12
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Our boat was built in Canada. We brought it to the US five years ago and have been registered in Washington state ever since. We've learned that the Jones Act of 1920 prohibits foreign built vessels from being US Documented.

We were told recently (by someone we don't know well, but seems to be knowledgeable) that getting a waiver for the prohibition shouldn't be a big deal and they were granted fairly often.

Has anyone out there done this? How difficult was it? Mounds of paperwork/internet and time? Or easy-peasy?

Thanks everyone.
Go straight to the horse's mouth...Google the NATIONAL VESSEL DOCUMENTATION CENTER for all the details...it can be done!

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 09:51   #13

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

As others have stated, the Jones Act has nothing to do with US Federal documentation. My boat was built in France and is documented without any special waivers. I plan on starting a day charter business which will require a waiver to the Jones act.
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 14:39   #14

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Thanks everyone. I realize from reading your answers that I didn't include all the pertinent data (sometimes I just get too inside my head )

Our boat is custom built so unlike the Bene's and FPs the details of the build are contained in the final survey of the boat and some pictures taken during the build. With that in mind I wasn't sure if we could document or not.
Someone gave you bad info.

Jones Act does not prohibit registration of a foriegn built vessel, regardless of how it was built. Custom built doesnt matter (it may as you point out require some additional documentation, but nothig to do w Jones Act).

Jones Act only applies to how the vessel is used. A foreign built vessel may not engage in coastwise trade in the USA without an MRAD waiver. This only applies if you plan to use the boat commercially, such as charter service. If just recreational use then nothing more is needed.

The MRAD process is easy, if you do want that.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 22:22   #15
Marine Service Provider

You were told wrong. I own a cat built in South Africa. She is a documented US flag vessel. Ditto for another cat I was part owner in. When we bought it it was French flagged, we did what is called a "deflag/reflag" to US no problem.

If your boat is based in Washington State, US documentation won't help you a bit with their voracious tax collectors.

Note: To document a foreign built vessel for commercial use you need some additional paper work and if you engage it in commercial activity you need and exemption from the US Maritime Administration ($500 the last I checked), not too difficult if you can show a need and a benefit to the public where you intend to operate.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, men