Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2010, 14:48   #1

US Customs Wants to Keep My Boat Registry Papers

Hello, maybe you can help me about this issue.
I am a tourist.
Last year in november i obtain my cruising permit for 1 year in west palm beach
I went to Bahamas . I returned 3 weeks ago. Last week i went to make another permit. They told that it was not posible because..
Under Customs policy, when a foreign flag vessel's cruising license expires, that vessel may not be issued another license until the following three conditions have been met: (1) the vessel leaves the US for a foreign port or place, and (2) it returns from that foreign port or place, and (3) at least 15 days have elapsed since the previous license expired. (Customs Directive 3100-06, November 7, 1988.)

I understand that.
The thing that I do not understand is that they asked me to leave my boat registry papers to them till I leave the country.
I wanted to find anything about this procedure on internet but I could not find anything.
Have you heard about this
Thanks
Paolaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 15:04   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Maybe they're worried you'll disappear into the swamps or up the ICW to become yet another illegal immigrant.... Homeland Security

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 15:21   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Don't know why they kept your papers. Your cruising permit is good till November. Have you told us all the relevant facts? Maybe they're afraid you're not going to leave.
Old 30-09-2010, 03:06   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
THere is nothing worse on this planet then US bureaucracy when it gets going

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 06:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
THere is nothing worse on this planet then US bureaucracy when it gets going

Dave

US bureaucracy is amateurish compared to most places in the world. Think the US is bad? Try Germany or France. Or any place in S. America (bureaucracy and a little corruption on the side). In Africa, it's bureaucracy and a LOT of corruption. Canada (we just bought a townhouse in Ottawa)? Ha! 300K people in this town, and 1.1 million 'by-laws' with 20k taxpayer-supported drones enforcing them.
Old 30-09-2010, 11:42   #6
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
"1.1 million by-laws with 20k taxpayer-supported drones enforcing them" ???? What is your basis for saying that there are 20,000 by-law enforcement agents in Ottawa? In any event, I suspect that Canada's capital and the home to its Parliament, the Supreme Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Canada, various government ministries as well as a multitude of foreign embassies, etc., does have more issues to address than say, your home town in Montana. I am not saying that the Canadian bureaucracy is any less frustrating than anywhere else, but if you were to pick a place in Canada that is overrun by beauracrats, you picked it.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 12:10   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
"1.1 million by-laws with 20k taxpayer-supported drones enforcing them" ???? What is your basis for saying that there are 20,000 by-law enforcement agents in Ottawa? In any event, I suspect that Canada's capital and the home to its Parliament, the Supreme Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Canada, various government ministries as well as a multitude of foreign embassies, etc., does have more issues to address than say, your home town in Montana. I am not saying that the Canadian bureaucracy is any less frustrating than anywhere else, but if you were to pick a place in Canada that is overrun by beauracrats, you picked it.

Brad
Not just bylaw enforcement officers: All the city/provincial employees that meddle and don't produce. A city government that doesn't seem to be able to make many decisions without hiring outside 'consultants'? What does the city pay them for?

I've purchased many homes, in bigger and smaller places than Ottawa, in other countries, and I've NEVER had as much BS to jump through trying to enhance the economy.....

And I wouldn't be surprised if the entire state of Montana (with more people than Ottawa) has fewer taxpayer supported employees. I know that per-capita Kalispell has fewer and we get by just fine.
Old 30-09-2010, 13:02   #8

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa
Go and ask someone to explain what happened slowly...... ? They should not have your papers... how else will you leave?
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 13:25   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingaway221 View Post
Go and ask someone to explain what happened slowly...... ? They should not have your papers... how else will you leave?
I think the keys here are:

A) Last year in November I obtain my cruising permit for 1 year in west palm beach.

B) Under Customs policy, when a foreign flag vessel's cruising license expires, that vessel may not be issued another license until the following three conditions have been met:

(1) the vessel leaves the US for a foreign port or place, and
(2) it returns from that foreign port or place, and
(3) at least 15 days have elapsed since the previous license expired.

C) They asked me to leave my boat registry papers to them till I leave the country.

IT doesn't sound like they are refusing to give you your papers back. They aren't forcing you to stay. It sounds like they are only going to hold the papers for the duration of the stay and you will be given them back when you leave the country again. I also suspect this is to ensure you don't attempt to become an illegal alien.
It also looks like they'd be able to issue a new permit after the 15 day expiration date following the expiration of the existing permit in November of 2010.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 13:36   #10

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
The point I don't understand is them holding his boat papers. With the cruising permit he's free to cruise the US (albeit reporting in every port by phone). How can he move around if they have his boat registration papers? Something doesn't add up here.
Old 30-09-2010, 14:06   #11

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
Nahh..wouldn't leave the papers with them...you get stopped by the CG and you tell them, what? Go talk to Customs...right..something isn't right..
Old 30-09-2010, 14:16   #12

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
I agree with Vasco, we're missing a piece of information.
Keeping your documentation of ownership is a form of impounding your boat.

How can he prove ownership if Customs is holding his boat registration?
How could he move his boat from place to place in the US without proof of ownership?
What if he went to Canada? Or left the US from somewhere other than West Palm Beach.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 14:16   #13

Yeah I'll take the US government bureaucracy over that of other nations. Go talk to the guys down in Mexico that just got their homes bulldozed. They went to the governor with their land deeds in hand and the governor said there was nothing he could do about it. Sure in the US you'll end up in a bureaucratic nightmare but I'll take that over an armored bulldozer smashing my home to the ground supported by private police.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 14:35   #14

Boat: Cabo Rico
Doesn't sound right. Cruising licenses exempt you from having to undergo formal entry and clearance procedures, like filing manifests and obtaining permits, except when you get here. Your trip to the Bahamas should not be relevant if the license has not expired.

You didn't stop by Cuba on the way, did you?
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 09:46   #15

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Yeah I'll take the US government bureaucracy over that of other nations. Go talk to the guys down in Mexico that just got their homes bulldozed. They went to the governor with their land deeds in hand and the governor said there was nothing he could do about it. Sure in the US you'll end up in a bureaucratic nightmare but I'll take that over an armored bulldozer smashing my home to the ground supported by private police.
Sorry, but that has happened here too. See the TTC "nafta superhighway", emminent domain was approved by the supreme court last year. It doesn't happen here, except when, 1. your house is in the way of a highway, 2. needed for something that produces more taxes, 3. in a coastal boundary, 4. Not compliant with new building codes just passed in secret city council meeting, etc...
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customs