Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2010, 13:23   #1
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
US Customs Decal Problems...

Trying to renew my Decal so I can check in with US Customs over the telephone rather than going to a dock and requesting inspection.

Looks like the bureacrats changed their web pages and after having started over again a couple of times, I can't get past this IBM ad:

Old 14-03-2010, 13:28   #2

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987
Try using Internet Explorer if you aren't already.
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 14:40   #3

Old 14-03-2010, 14:43   #4

Above is the stupid picture/label I keep getting.

Thought I pasted it on the initial post, but no cigar..

At any rate, yes I am using explorer.

Frustrating stuff dealing with the Government, especially when they use my money to make it as difficult as possible to get a darn Custom Sticker...
Old 14-03-2010, 14:51   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
First you have to go to https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov/ Then register unless you already have a code, which they would have sent you if you've had Decals before.

BTW other forms: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/forms/
Old 14-03-2010, 14:58   #6

Quote:
First you have to go to https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov/ Then register unless you already have a code, which they would have sent you if you've had Decals before.
Spent the whole afternoon registering and trying to access my information and old accounts, trying new accounts, screwing with passwords, etc...

Have been in the program for 10 years and have not had a problem before.
Can't get past that stubid IBM pic and being Sunday I can't call the slackers and vent....
Old 14-03-2010, 15:03   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Then I'd just fill one of these out and mail it in. http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/cbp_form_339v.pdf It only takes a few daze more.
Old 14-03-2010, 15:11   #8

I just renewed with no problem and got the decal in a matter of days. We distribute to our Bermuda Rally participants step-by-step instructions on how to navigate the website, including where to click on the various papes. PM me with your email address and I'll be happy to send you the page from our skipper briefing binder, in case it helps.
danielgoldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 17:27   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
I had some problems this year, too. I went to a bookmark I had, but it didn't work. Then, I went to https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov/ That did work. It was explained to me by an agent that they had changed their systems and billing, so there have been some frustrations. It did work, though and I didn't have to re-register.

The advantage to doing it on-line is that you can print out your receipt, which will also work, in case you need it before the actual decal can arrive by mail.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 18:14   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Spent the whole afternoon registering and trying to access my information and old accounts, trying new accounts, screwing with passwords, etc...

Have been in the program for 10 years and have not had a problem before.
Can't get past that stubid IBM pic and being Sunday I can't call the slackers and vent....
I just renewed mine - Ran into problems with the initial login; turns out they automatically expire the userid/passwords - there was an email link to ask for a new password that I used and they got back to me the next day. If you are able to get to the 'new/reset password' link, you should be ok.

Good luck!

Sailndive
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 18:40   #11

Okay guys, good info for sure.

Yeah, I pretty much figured out how to navigate the web pages and sign up for new user name and passwords and all that.

Even got a Congrat for signing up and registering and all that, but when I sign in to my new account to order the blasted $27.50 sticker, I get this ugly looking IBM ad instead..And that Gentlemen is my frustration: You do everything right, you slay the dragons, you walk the green mile, you cross the T and dot the i's and all ya get is sh!t...

It is not that I am persona non grata: Got the CBP Global Access entry, the TWIC card, the FAA pilot security approval, the USCG Captains license, the Local Boater Entry..The whole 9 yard with fingerprints and security blessings up the gazoo and yet I can't get an easy approval to make phone calls for checking in after a Bahamas trip..

Quote:
PM me with your email address and I'll be happy to send you the page from our skipper briefing binder, in case it helps.
On the way..Thanks

Tags
customs