Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2022, 02:37   #16

Boat: Tayana 42, sloop, 42
Re: Unnecessary Boat Noise Regulations

How long does the sound prevention last? 2 minutes, 5 minutes? etc. No mention as a period of time. Very hard to control, immensely foolish on the open water, and enforcement is unreasonable.
So if a boat is in a maintenance period of running at different rpm's and another boat is just running at high rpm's, to just lets say warm up, does this type of regulation apply at all.
What type of boat are we dissussing as for eg.: A commercial or jet boat, ready to leave and must keep sound at low levels but must navigate in an area of Water taxis/Planes landing on the water/taking off as in Victoria Harbor, Ha Ha, but their exhaust is open and above recommended levels. Then do the commercial operators of crab/fishing/diving/transportation planes and boats have exemptions? Or do they have to comply? Now we even may get into politics, and that's not for this forum either.
Do manufactures get inspections of this sort of practice by the Sound police. \
So who enforces this sort of non-sense?
Let's face it, this is more of a hassle than one would like to imagine. Maybe it's gone overboard when it screams with regulation of controlling people and common sense, and just asking someone to keep their vessel quite after dark (and in most marinas I think this applies), and living without all these regulations from ones that want to control people. I could see it if it were a safety hazard, and killed people from it's practice. But it doesn't even fit at all. \
No this forum is not for controling people, I don't think so.
Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 03:07   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 04:01   #18

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post
Point well taken. We've all been at that anchorage, or passed by that wakeboard boat, with the loud music of some genre we don't like. And then there are boats, cars and motorcycles with deliberately loud exhaust, trying to compensate for something.

It's tempting to say "There ought to be a law!" Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing some of those people dragged away in handcuffs. But as a practical matter, we need to be careful of complications and unintended consequences in enforcement.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 04:17   #19

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

Summer afternoons here on Grand Traverse Bay are ruined by go fast boats roaring around.

These guys (always men of a certain type: $200 wrap around sunglasses, three-day beards, Hawaiian shirts and cargo shorts) are arrogant pricks.

The boats are illegal by Michigan law because they run wide open exhausts for their 500 hp big-block V8 engines, sometimes with twin engine setups, and routinely violate the 55 MPH speed-limit on our inland lakes. The cops stubbornly refuse to enforce the laws, with a number of lame excuses.

The boats are dangerous, blasting around at 80+ MPH with a mix of fishermen, sailors, kayakers, and paddleboarders also on the water.

The boats are piggish consumers of fuel, with $500 + bills at the fuel dock. They burn as much fuel in an hour as we do in a two months.

Unenforceable noise regs are a waste of time. It's the go-fast boats that should be banned.
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:47   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post
So who enforces this sort of non-sense?
Let's face it, this is more of a hassle than one would like to imagine. Maybe it's gone overboard when it screams with regulation of controlling people and common sense, and just asking someone to keep their vessel quite after dark (and in most marinas I think this applies), and living without all these regulations from ones that want to control people. I could see it if it were a safety hazard, and killed people from it's practice. But it doesn't even fit at all.
Sound pollution is a thing; people have the right to reasonably quiet enjoyment of shared resources, yes?

There are already legitimate limits in place; eg environmental regulations should be sufficient to eliminate the straight pipes. Max sound is tougher to regulate, but many harbours already have limits on other bad behaviour (speed, wake etc) so a sound limit would be simple to enforce there.

Should there be "go-fast" boats at all? I'm not prepared to see the boom lowered on that. Most of such boats I hear are out in the big lake, so those owners are being responsible in that way.

But just like with cars, you don't have to have all the noise to go fast.

Fuel price is going to exert some influence, too.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:58   #21

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatwright View Post
Summer afternoons here on Grand Traverse Bay are ruined by go fast boats roaring around.

These guys (always men of a certain type: $200 wrap around sunglasses, three-day beards, Hawaiian shirts and cargo shorts) are arrogant pricks.

The boats are illegal by Michigan law because they run wide open exhausts for their 500 hp big-block V8 engines, sometimes with twin engine setups, and routinely violate the 55 MPH speed-limit on our inland lakes. The cops stubbornly refuse to enforce the laws, with a number of lame excuses.

The boats are dangerous, blasting around at 80+ MPH with a mix of fishermen, sailors, kayakers, and paddleboarders also on the water.

The boats are piggish consumers of fuel, with $500 + bills at the fuel dock. They burn as much fuel in an hour as we do in a two months.

Unenforceable noise regs are a waste of time. It's the go-fast boats that should be banned.
Finally a post that makes sense to me! Enforce a 25mph speed limit on all small lakes and reservoirs, this would allow waterskiing but discourage visits by those "drag boats" with the open exhaust. On large lakes, 25mph within 1 mile of shore. This is a safety issues as well as reducing noise.
The jetskis are also a serious problem. Second regulation: ban any personal watercraft (anything less than 15' in length) with internal combustion engines. They can go electric.
Old 01-06-2022, 09:57   #22

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I HAve a pair of BeoLab 3 in my cabin
Bose 151 under the dodger. The B&O have two 150w ice amps each 12V processor and Wisa portable instead of cad 7 wiring
The Bose are temporarily without an amp cause I tossed it. I have 2200w of B&O at home never loud
I’m building a Donzi 18 with an LS3 no room for mufflers had to modify the engine hatch to stuff it in.
By laws like these are mostly for stupid people to put logic into law. They are all funny to me.
It keeps the commissions busy and relevant and final laws scripted by people with patronage employment. Why legislators don’t toss them down the stairs for the millions wasted is anyone guess
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:43   #23

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
How about regs to limit the noise from blasting cockpit stereos or generators.

At least after 10 PM...
Old 01-06-2022, 10:53   #24

Boat: Beneteau

How does the government propose such a change without going after road noise first. Don't get me wrong as I'm all for this change but this is an issue limited to a small segment of the population whereas the silly after market mufflers on cars,trucks and bikes is an annoyance to damned near everyone.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:56   #25

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Seems Wisconsin is pretty specific:

(2) Muffler requirement and noise level standards.

(a) Mufflers. The engine of every motorboat propelled by an internal combustion engine and used on the waters of this state shall be equipped and maintained with a muffler, underwater exhaust system or other noise suppression device.

(b) Maximum noise levels for operation. No person may operate a motorboat powered by an engine on the waters of this state in such a manner as to exceed a noise level of 86 measured on an “A" weighted decibel scale.

(c) Maximum noise levels for sale. No person may sell, resell or offer for sale any motorboat for use on the waters of the state if the motorboat has been so modified that it cannot be operated in such a manner that it will comply with the noise level requirements under par. (b).

(d) Maximum noise level for manufacture.

1. No person may manufacture and offer for sale any motorboat for use on the waters of this state if the motorboat cannot be operated in such a manner so as to comply with the noise level requirements under par. (b).

2. The department may promulgate rules establishing testing procedures to determine noise levels for the enforcement of this section.

3. The department may revise these rules as necessary to adjust to advances in technology.

(e) Tampering. No person may remove or alter any part of a marine engine, its propulsion unit or its enclosure or modify the mounting of a marine engine on a boat in such a manner as to exceed the noise levels prescribed under par. (b).

(f) Local ordinances. No political subdivision of this state may establish, continue in effect or enforce any ordinance that prescribes noise levels for motorboats or which imposes any requirement for the sale or use of marine engines at prescribed noise levels unless the ordinance is identical to the provisions of this subsection or rules promulgated by the department under this subsection.

(g) Exemption for specific uses. This subsection does not apply to any of the following:

1. A motorboat while competing in a race conducted under a permit from a town, village or city or from an authorized agency of the federal government.

2. A motorboat designed and intended solely for racing, while the boat is operated incidentally to the testing or tuning up of the motorboat and engine for the race in an area designated by and operated under a permit specified under subd. 1.

3. A motorboat on an official trial for a speed record if conducted under a permit from a town, village or city.

4. The operation of a commercial or nonrecreational fishing boat, ferry or other vessel engaged in interstate or international commerce, other than a tugboat.
Old 01-06-2022, 10:56   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatwright View Post
I can't afford the wraparound oculars, but um what's so bad about hawaiian shirts and cargo shorts? Too "loud" in a different sense? I am getting better about the shaving thing, but it's the weekend, maaan.... WWJO? (what would Jimmy do?)

The loudest sound I make afloat (well, one of the loudest) is an anglo-saxon expletive when I blow a jibe.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 12:28   #27

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Quebec has a by law for spitting on streets. It’s about time I guess.
My Donzi can exhaust through the prop.
The BMW M in my barn is old but has vacuum secondary mufflers has twin cats twin expansion chambers with cross over. Stomp on the loud peddle it’s in the 80’s.
I think the world of gas combustion is changing too fast for sailors typical stink pot bias to preach.
Don’t stuff up Harley Davidson cause your offended. A lot of things offend folks but it doesn’t mean they are correct.
I’m offended where half of you disposed of your last Dinghy but just go sailing instead.
By laws are to instil common manners and thinking in folks. They are very important in rapid growing diverse societies to set the norm. Take 2-3 generations anyway but it helps. Otherwise they don’t really exist in law. Regions take on powers they don’t truly hold in by laws which can and often do contradict federal laws.
In Toronto their is a by law that you can ask a police officer to hold your horse while in a store if not city tie up is available. There is a more recent by law you can’t bring a horse inside the city limits. Both still on the books. Half are kept alive by rumour.
In Ontario we have over 400 commissions with 60,000 employees. I’ve witnessed one of their most important commission offices where more than half the staff were not working. At least 200 of them are staffed by folks with amazing salaries pensions and very low on skill sets. The right laborious stuff like this to stay relevant. Putting common decency and well established guidelines manufacturers have worked with for years is a make work exercise where time and effort could benefit society in a meaningful way elsewhere.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 03:59   #28

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see so much of a problem with exhausts on go fast boats. Sure they are loud, but it is something I've gotten used to after 50 years of being on the water. I don't own one, but go out on one every now and then, on the owners dime, I cannot afford the gas bill. lol.

My biggest peeves are the generators and loud blaring continuous music in an anchorage at all times of day/night.
Old 02-06-2022, 11:57   #29

Boat: Rafiki 37
Unnecessary Boat Noise Regulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see so much of a problem with exhausts on go fast boats. Sure they are loud, but it is something I've gotten used to after 50 years of being on the water. I don't own one, but go out on one every now and then, on the owners dime, I cannot afford the gas bill. lol.

My biggest peeves are the generators and loud blaring continuous music in an anchorage at all times of day/night.

Agreed, although I do find the cigarette-type of boat, with their seemingly enhanced exhaust sound, incredibly loud and pretty annoying if persistent. Seems like the same mentality as most Harleys. Luckily, most of the time they're zipping by at break-neck speed.

Blaring music is perhaps the most offensive thing in my mind. The other noises like generators or even boat engines can be annoying, but at least they have a necessary purpose. Blasting one's stereo so that you force everyone else to listen to your musical selection is selfishly obnoxious.

G-d invented ear buds for a reason.
Old 02-06-2022, 12:16   #30

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I second all of Mike’s comments above. I agree completely.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
regulations, noise, boat