Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2021, 12:25   #1

UK boat registration address

Hi there, I hope you are all well.

I have a friend who is looking to register his boat in the UK, as a the Red Ensign will, in his own words, be more desirable than other countries (he plans to sail around Europe). He wants to make the registration cheaper by using my UK home address as a registration address, rather than use a UK service.

I just wanted to check that if I allow him to use my address, this is just for the forwarding of any docs or info and I am not assuming any responsibility for the boat or anything related to his use of it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
mdall145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 12:52   #2

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30
Re: UK boat registration address

Can't see how you could get responsible for anything but I believe that he does have to prove his address with a bank statement or similar these days.
I can't think of a flag that would be undesirable in Europe. What's his nationality and where is he resident?
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 13:16   #3

Thank you! He is Dutch, with Swiss residency.
mdall145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 13:18   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdall145 View Post

He wants to make the registration cheaper by using my UK home address as a registration address, rather than use a UK service.
No, he wants a UK address or he isn't eligible. Won't be the first

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-boat/the-uk-ship-register
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 13:40   #5

Quote:
Dutch and Swiss but apparently no connection to the UK, not even a mailing address.

Well then that appears to be a non-starter.

Requirements to Register on UK Ship Register
To register a vessel on the UK Ship Register you must meet the eligibility criteria of the Part for which you are applying.

There are 4 different parts of the register. Which part you use depends on what you’re using your boat for:

Part 1 - commercial or pleasure boats
Part 2 - fishing boats
Part 3 - small boats
Part 4 - charter boats

Part 1 and Part 4
The following persons are qualified to be the owners of ships to be registered on Part 1 the Register:

* UK citizen

* British dependant territories citizen

* British overseas citizen

* company incorporated in one of the European Economic Area (EEA) countries

* citizen of a EU member state exercising your rights under articles 48 or 52 of the EU Treaty in the UK

* company incorporated in any British overseas possession which has its principal place of business in the UK or those possessions

* company in an European Economic Interest Grouping (EEIG)

* Commonwealth citizens

* citizens listed in Schedule 6 (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2.../contents/made)

* non-United Kingdom nationals who are settled in the United Kingdom

* bodies corporate incorporated in a Commonwealth state

* bodies corporate incorporated in a country listed in Schedule 6 (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2.../contents/made)

If none of the qualified owners are resident in the UK, a representative must be appointed who is either of the following:

* an individual resident in the UK

* a company incorporated in one of the EEA countries with a place of business in the UK

Part 1 registration - commercial or pleasure boats
You can use Part 1 of the register if you have either:

a commercial boat, unless you plan to use it for fishing
a ‘pleasure vessel’ - this means you do not make any money from it
Registering your boat on Part 1 of the register means you’ll be able to:

get a marine mortgage against your boat
spend more than 6 months outside the UK

UK Ship registry Part 3 registration - small boats
Use Part 3 of the register (small ships register) if:

your boat is less than 24 metres long
your boat is a pleasure vessel
you live in the UK for at least 185 days of the year

You cannot use Part 3 of the register if you’re a business.

Part 3
For vessels to be registered on Part 3, all the owners listed must be qualified owners.

A small ship may be registered if all of the owners are ordinarily resident in the UK:-

(a) British Citizens

(b) Persons who are nationals of a European Union or Economic Area country other than the United Kingdom and are established* in the UK

(c) British Dependant Territories citizens; British Overseas citizens; persons who under the British Nationality Act 1981 and are British subjects; persons who under the Hong Kong (British Nationality) Order are British Nationals (Overseas), and (d) Commonwealth citizens not falling within those paragraphs.

*Established – It is not sufficient to live in the UK to be ‘established’ in accordance with Articles 48 and 52 of the EU Treaty. To be ‘established’ a person must make an economic contribution to the UK by being the proprietor of a business, being employed, or having very recently retired from such employment, i.e. within the last 6 months. If you have any doubts about your ‘establishment’ you should consult the Registry.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 14:05   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Curious were the boat is now?

Is it outside the EU and therefore he wants to try and avoid the import duty and VAT? If so he is in for a nasty surprise being Dutch, regardless of the flag and a UK flag won't help.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 14:26   #7

FYI:

As of January 1, 2021 the Dutch ICP is no longer available for non-Dutch residents!

Also, note that the Dutch ICP does not provide for titling of the vessel. Nor does it provide conveyance of Dutch nationality of the vessel and as such is not recognized as a flagged vessel.

A Dutch ICP boat is not allowed to wear a Dutch flag. The ICP is essentially only useful in certain inland waterways. Pretty much a worthless scrap of paper.

Your friend may consider a Polish flagging. That is inexpensive and it is a flag of convenience [an open registry] and requires to surveying.

I would recommend that you stay out of your friends legal affairs, do not become a representative, that is a crossing the line of friendships.
Old 04-05-2021, 14:38   #8

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Curious were the boat is now?

Is it outside the EU and therefore he wants to try and avoid the import duty and VAT. If so he is in for a nasty surprise being Dutch, regardless of the flag and a UK flag won't help.

Pete
The stated desire is to sail the boat around Europe, but perhaps as the owner is a resident of Switzerland then the boat may be imported into the EU under temporary admission and not be subject to EU duty and VAT upon entry, IF he does not have EU residency. The Dutch citizenship is not a factor as to EU customs; EU residency and the importation of a good into the EU customs territory will be the determinate factors. A boat can wear an EU flag, but not be subject to EU duty and VAT if the vessel remains outside of the EU. A boat wearing an EU flag must be VAT paid if it enters the EU, so advise picking the flag of convenience carefully. Of course if the boat is already VAT paid status then this a moot issue.

As a temporary admission [temporary import] the vessel can remain in the EU territory for up to 18 months before it must be discharged by taking it to a non-EU territory or port and then it can be returned again to the EU under a new temporary admission.
Old 04-05-2021, 16:48   #9

As to the "Dutch Light" ship registry / Dutch ICP

The ICP was originally introduced to stimulate pleasure crafts (<24m) to sail the inland waters of the EU.

Whereas in the past the Dutch ICP documents stated “Flag Dutch”, since mid-July 2018 it states “Flag non-applicable”. To clarify matters the Dutch ICP document also states the following:

"Prior to issue of this document ownership has been rendered credible. This certificate is valid only as long as the particulars have not changed. In case of change, it must be returned to the issuing organization for amendment.

This document can not be interpreted as giving Dutch nationality to the craft, nor does it constitute the right to fly the flag of the Kingdom of the Netherlands as defined by Article 9 of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS). Consequently the Kingdom of the Netherlands does not accept any of the responsibilities listed in article 94 of UNCLOS."

Now that owners of a Dutch ICP are no longer permitted to sail under the flag of the Netherlands and the ICP has returned to be a document for which it was originally intended. An unofficial document which confirms the ownership of the vessel had been rendered credible at the time of issuance of the certificate. It never was and is not a titling document.
Old 04-05-2021, 17:12   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: UK boat registration address

Quote:

I have a friend who is looking to register his boat in the UK, as a the Red Ensign will, in his own words, be more desirable than other countries (he plans to sail around Europe). He wants to make the registration cheaper by using my UK home address as a registration address, rather than use a UK service.

I just wanted to check that if I allow him to use my address, this is just for the forwarding of any docs or info and I am not assuming any responsibility for the boat or anything related to his use of it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
No.. there will be no comeback on you.. also if he is going SSR which is the cheap option its not even proof of ownership.
The biggest complication will be using his CC if it's not a UK one.. a non UK CC triggers a red flag straight away.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:02   #11

Boat: been sitting it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
No.. there will be no comeback on you.. also if he is going SSR which is the cheap option its not even proof of ownership.
The biggest complication will be using his CC if it's not a UK one.. a non UK CC triggers a red flag straight away.

Boatie, hi!!

by CC, you are referring to the certificate of compliance, right?

are you saying that the compliance certificate must be
-from the UK if sporting a UK flag?
-from the EU if sporting a EU flag?

is this a brexit measure?

the CC (as it was) pertained to boats that are being imported from abroad.

are you saying that, if i bought a boat in france and wanted to flag it UK, there would be a red flag due to the fact that the boat was located in france when bought?

thanks good man!

wolfie
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:30   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: UK boat registration address

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
Boatie, hi!!

by CC, you are referring to the certificate of compliance, right?

are you saying that the compliance certificate must be
-from the UK if sporting a UK flag?
-from the EU if sporting a EU flag?

is this a brexit measure?

the CC (as it was) pertained to boats that are being imported from abroad.

are you saying that, if i bought a boat in france and wanted to flag it UK, there would be a red flag due to the fact that the boat was located in france when bought?

thanks good man!

wolfie
HI Wolfie.. No I meant Credit Card..
If you do it online you pay by Credit Card.. a Portuguese friend of mine tried it using a relatives address in the UK..
Unfortunately for him his CC through up a red flag and he was asked to produce bills etc proving he was the home owner.. so no SSR..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 16:33   #13

Boat: c 9 metre Catfisher Silurus

might be liable for VAT contact MCA .

email ukshipregister.co.uk.

ask and ye shall find

part 3 means you are normally resident in UK but are allowed looselyto take 180 days etc away in any year costs about £70 renewable ever 5 yrs

part 3 requires tonnage survey , bill of sale saying you have owned boat for at least 5 years. must be British or commonwealth national and signed declaration including qualified ownership costs about £158 plus cost of survey by authorised person

also also check out website gives requirements for Parts one and three
www.gov.uk/mca
girnybairn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, registration