Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2019, 15:15   #31

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Transom painted with Diver Down Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreez View Post
The only way to classify this person as an idiot is to try and educate the owner about the confusion he is causing... try and reason the display and then you can gauge the person and tag the idiot...

Years ago there was a person who had a diver down flag at his dock to try and slow the traffic down. I was called to go and reason with that person and he willfully removed the flag as it was causing a lot of confusion... Education Education...

Just another example of bozo's that come back from Canada and leave up the Canadian courtesy flag.
I politely pointed that out and was told, "It's just a decoration."
No, it's more like, "Look at me! I've been to Canada!" and they've conveniently "forgotten" to take it down (forever).

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:58   #32

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz3 View Post
I would treat it the same way I treat cars displaying dive flag decals. Ignore it.
It depends upon the boat and the situation. Some of the local fishers and divers can not afford a diver down flag or they might have a painted board hanging on the side of the boat. We are very careful and respectful of local fishers and divers.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:12   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

As Montanan noted, the law depends on the jurisdiction. Prudent seamanship is universal. In Florida, for example, the red 'diver down' flag has real legal impact. In many US states and internationally, it's recognized but not legally enforceable. Due to advertising (PADI, Scuba, etc.), I'm guessing it's a much more recognizable symbol that "A".

In either case, if this boater has a big diver-down painted on his transom, he's probably a diver (or just bought the boat and is lazy). It's in his best interest to keep the impact and awareness of a diver-down flag. Perhaps a non-threatening comment or note left on his boat would help the situation. Something like, "... if I see you on the water, I won't know if I need to watch out for swimming divers, or you're being decorative."

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint