Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2014, 16:52   #16

Boat: csy 37
Re: State registration with CG documentation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
The good news, it usually isn't much. In FL, depending on the size and value of the boat typically $50-$100.
Unless your boat is an antique, 30+ years old. We pay $8 a year for a 37' boat.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 09:36   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin
Re: State Registration with CG Documentation?

I don't mind paying boater taxes. The cost to register my 36' Mainship in Alabama the first time would be $75. Even If I only stay 3 months, that's only $25/Mo. average. If I stayed a year, it would only be $6.25 / mo average.

Many of the members on here use Govt. funded parks whether they are Nat'l, state or Corpse of Engineers parks. Some of us also need to use lock and dams. This also encompasses the maintenance of the integrity of the water and wildlife in the area.

Don't want to pay tax and want less govt? Places like Samalia are always available.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 09:43   #18

State registration is not required in Massachusetts if the boat has federal documentation. However, you are still required to pay the annual excise tax where she is moored.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Rick01541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 11:11   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
It is illegal to put the State numbers on a documented boat...
No, it is not illegal to put state numbers on a documented boat. No state can require you to do so, according to federal law. They can only require you to display a sticker. But if you WANT to put state numbers on your CG documented boat, there is nothing illegal about it.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 13:02   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
No, it is not illegal to put state numbers on a documented boat. No state can require you to do so, according to federal law. They can only require you to display a sticker. But if you WANT to put state numbers on your CG documented boat, there is nothing illegal about it.
I can't find the source right now but I believe you are wrong.

The reason they don't want state numbers on it is because it implies that it is documented thru the state rather than CG documented.

The sticker is a seperate issue and purely about collecting thier tax money.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 18:50   #21

From USCG.MIL

IS A DOCUMENTED VESSEL EXEMPT FROM STATE JURISDICTION?
No, all documented vessels must comply with the laws of the state in which they are operated. The vessel's document must be shown to state law enforcement personnel upon their demand. States may require documented vessels to be registered (but not numbered) and to display state decals showing that they have complied with state requirements.

You do not display state registration numbers on a USCG documented vessel

Sailing somewhere
motaman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 05:48   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I can't find the source right now but I believe you are wrong.
You're welcome to keep searching, but I am quite certain that you will never find any rule, regulation, or law that says that you are not permitted to display state registration numbers on a CG documented vessel, because no such rule, regulation, or law exists.

Again, the state cannot REQUIRE you to display numbers. The CG regulations are quite clear on that. And that is the only thing that the CG regulations say about state registration numbers. That is, of course, completely different from saying that you are not ALLOWED to display numbers.
Old 17-07-2014, 08:47   #23

Documented vessels
Federal regulations prohibit the display of the WN registration number on documented vessels.
State registration decals are required and must be displayed on the forward half of the vessel so they are easily visible for law enforcement.

Source
http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/420082.pdf

Sailing somewhere
Old 17-07-2014, 08:49   #24

Also cited on

http://www.boatus.org/guide/boat_5.html

Sailing somewhere
Old 17-07-2014, 08:56   #25

Quote:
You're welcome to keep searching, but I am quite certain that you will never find any rule, regulation, or law that says that you are not permitted to display state registration numbers on a CG documented vessel, because no such rule, regulation, or law exists.

Again, the state cannot REQUIRE you to display numbers. The CG regulations are quite clear on that. And that is the only thing that the CG regulations say about state registration numbers. That is, of course, completely different from saying that you are not ALLOWED to display numbers.
Thanks Motoman9, I just couldn't lay my hands on it quickly.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 09:20   #26

Boat: Sovereign 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
Went to FL last winter and didn't register with FL because my TN sticker was good for ninety days. I was offshore and out of Florida waters always within the 90 days, so even though I was sometimes Fl, offshore, back in Fl, I believe I complied with the law there as I was never in FL more than 90 days at a a time.
Is FL 90 days consecutive or any 90 days within a yr.?
Phantoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 10:16   #27

Okay, believe whatever you want. All I will point out is that it is a Washington state document that says (incorrectly) that federal regulations prohibit the display of state numbers. You won't find that in any federal document. And as for the BoatUS web page, it says (correctly, and as I have said) that documented vessels are not REQUIRED to display state registration numbers. Once again, a very different thing than saying that it is "illegal" to put state numbers on a documented vessel.

But, like I said, believe what you want. I won't argue the point any further. The truth is pretty easy to find out for yourself by reading the USCG documents and seeing what they say, and don't say.
Old 17-07-2014, 10:19   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
Is FL 90 days consecutive or any 90 days within a yr.?
It is 90 consecutive days. Details here...
Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
Old 17-07-2014, 12:49   #29

I'm just going by what the sources say and what I was told by the USCG.....their vessel documentation offices are closed on Thursdays....I'll get a source citation tomorrow

Sailing somewhere
Old 17-07-2014, 13:02   #30

Quote:
Okay, believe whatever you want. All I will point out is that it is a Washington state document that says (incorrectly) that federal regulations prohibit the display of state numbers. You won't find that in any federal document. And as for the BoatUS web page, it says (correctly, and as I have said) that documented vessels are not REQUIRED to display state registration numbers. Once again, a very different thing than saying that it is "illegal" to put state numbers on a documented vessel.

But, like I said, believe what you want. I won't argue the point any further. The truth is pretty easy to find out for yourself by reading the USCG documents and seeing what they say, and don't say.

BoatUS page says this....I copied the text

"Federally documented vessels are prohibited from using state boat numbering on the hull, though they can display registration stickers."

Sailing somewhere

Tags
documentation, men, registration