Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2008, 20:49   #1

Boat: Union 36 cutter
South Pacific cruising permits

I'm anticipating heading south from Hawaii in the spring, and slowly working my way to New Zealand by November, via the Marquesas, Tuamotus, Tahiti, Samoa, Fiji, Tonga, etc. I've heard mixed reports on how best to go about procuring cruising permits for the various countries I may visit along the way.
Some say apply for cruising permits months in advance via mail, and some say to just wait and apply when you clear customs at each port of call. I'd like to keep my schedule completely open and free from obligatory timeframes. It seems like applying for cruising permits in advance may restrict me to certain dates and locations determined ahead of time.
Does anyone have any experience with these issues? How do I go about making sure that I am completely legal, but still able to maintain flexibility and spontenaety?
Additionally, what can I expect to pay for a cruising permit/customs fees in your average south pacific country?
Thanks!
tracker_46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 15:05   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
See noonsite.com for each country's regulations.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 16:13   #3

Boat: Woods 40' catamaran
Generally the countries you are planning to visit don't require anything in advance. Except Oz, where you are required to give 5 days advance notice of arrival, and maybe Fiji was the same. And tourist entry visas won't be a significant part of your budget, with the exception of bond costs in F.Polynesia!
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 19:33   #4

Boat: Tayana 48 - Mata'irea
You can avoid paying the bond in Fr. Poly if you use an agent. For $70 per crew member, Polynesia Yacht Services will write you a bond exemption letter. For us, the $140 was worth it. The convenience of not having to track down our bond at the other end of the chain (friends had to wait several days to get theirs back in Bora Bora) together with the local bank fees and foreign transaction fees we saved by not having to transfer $2800 into a Fr. Polynesian bank was well worth PYS's fee.

We didn't use an agent anywhere else in the S. Pacific.
Mata'irea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 20:15   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mata'irea View Post
You can avoid paying the bond in Fr. Poly if you use an agent. For $70 per crew member, Polynesia Yacht Services will write you a bond exemption letter. For us, the $140 was worth it. The convenience of not having to track down our bond at the other end of the chain (friends had to wait several days to get theirs back in Bora Bora) together with the local bank fees and foreign transaction fees we saved by not having to transfer $2800 into a Fr. Polynesian bank was well worth PYS's fee.

We didn't use an agent anywhere else in the S. Pacific.
Sounds like a worthy investment!

I plan the trip myself one day.
Polynesia Yacht Services - Registered Yacht Agent in Tahiti and Moorea - French Polynesia

Tags
south pacific