Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2020, 08:29   #1

Boat: 2018 Senesco 110'
Skipper cited for violation of rule 9.

This is just all kinds of stupid. I'm not sure what there is to prove but putting yourself and others in this kind of jeopardy. It's incidents like this that make me want a stronger licensing system.

https://gcaptain.com/sailboat-operat...near-stockton/
Old 12-05-2020, 08:46   #2

Boat: Hunter 46
Re: Skipper cited for violation of rule 9.

The Stockton Deep Water Shipping Channel in the California Delta is 41 miles long and sees large freighters all the time. Boater need to VERY aware and stay clear of freighters. There is plenty of open water to sail in the Delta without sailing in the Delta shipping channels. I have been hundreds of times on a ski boat and sailed in the Delta but we are always on the lookout for other boats and especially freighters, when we are in or close to the channel. My marina in Point Richmond, located on the NE edge of the SF Bay, is on the Richmond channel and you when you leave from or return to the marina you need to know exactly where the channel markers are and look out for other boarts, especially freighters, since the channel is narrow AND stay clear of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_Stockton
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:50   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoater917 View Post
This is just all kinds of stupid. I'm not sure what there is to prove but putting yourself and others in this kind of jeopardy. It's incidents like this that make me want a stronger licensing system.

Agree totally. California now requires a license. The free course by BoatUS is excellent although the actual test is too simple. A lot of boaters I’ve talked to are not even aware of the requirement. The requirement is being phased in by age so not everyone is required to have it yet.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:59   #4

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

But don't ya know all sailboats have right of way?

Seriously, I hear this ALL the time. I've seen sailing school instructors telling this to their young students, and encouraging them to press that "right" in a busy commercial harbor.

Just last week I overheard an exchange on VHF 16 between a large freighter and a sailor who didn't realize he was violating a VTS shipping lane. He didn't really even seem to understand what it was, or what those lines on his chart meant.

Not to paint all sailors with the same brush, but there IS a problem out there, and I, for one, am glad to see the authorities getting serious about it.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:08   #5

If someone's gonna do what they are gonna do, a license wont change it. licensed DUI happen all the time.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:22   #6

Boat: Hunter 46

I forgot to mention that the shipping channel there is 600 feet wide there, which is too narrow for a sailboat and freighter. There are better places to sail in the Delta than there.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:56   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
If someone's gonna do what they are gonna do, a license wont change it. licensed DUI happen all the time.

Exactly. A license does not fix stupid. Look at the photo from the bridge. What moron would cross that close to a the bow of a ship? Even if they had heard the non sense that a sail boat has the right of way, one would think it is pretty obvious to not pull across that bow of a ship.

When I was much younger, my dad and I were coming into Miami at Government Cut. A small freighter was well out to sea when we got into the cut, but before we knew it, he was closing fast. I was trying to figure out how in the heck I could get closer to shore to stay out of his way as much as I could, not try to cross in front of him. I don't think I had ever heard of COLREGS back then, but what should be common sense and self preservation, should tell people to stay the heck out of the way of a much larger vessel.

It is unreal the number of times I have seen people drive around rail road crossing arms. One time, I was stuck in traffic, and if the car had not gotten off the tracks, there would have been a chance the debris from the collision would hit my vehicle. Figured I would have get out of my vehicle and run away to be safe. I would bet every driver I have seen who went around the down crossing gates had a drivers license...

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 13:06   #8

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoater917 View Post

It wouldn’t help, look at car drivers, and the number of deaths related to poor decision making on the nations roads.
There will always be people who make bad decisions no matter what licensing one would implement. Luckily in sailing this is not a constant threat, like it is with car driving. You only see large amounts of stupid on the water when one mixes power boats with sailboats in close quarters, then you never know what sort of sh-t show you’re going to get.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 06:12   #9

I agree that a license is not going to fix stupid. On the other hand, at least we would know that, at some point along the way, the boat operator had learned the basic rules of the road. As it is now, in a lot of places, you don't have to know the first thing about the rules of the road to legally operate a boat. I mean, imagine if we allowed people to drive cars on public roads without first learning things like, stay to the right, red light means stop, and so on!

That said, I hope they throw the book at the guy in the article, and I hope it gets a LOT of publicity. Not just on boating forums like this one, but in the general press, so that people will be aware that there are consequences to this sort of irresponsible behavior.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 07:03   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

And then there was the freighter that docked at Yokohama with the standing rigging from a cruiser tangled in its anchor. They had not noticed....
Old 13-05-2020, 07:07   #11

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

The skipper of the Elbe #5 that sank after cutting in front of a freighter on the Elbe River was licensed - and he was definitely in position and in charge when they did what they did. I suspect he no longer has that license, however.

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 07:25   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
But don't ya know all sailboats have right of way?

Seriously, I hear this ALL the time. I've seen sailing school instructors telling this to their young students, and encouraging them to press that "right" in a busy commercial harbor.

Just last week I overheard an exchange on VHF 16 between a large freighter and a sailor who didn't realize he was violating a VTS shipping lane. He didn't really even seem to understand what it was, or what those lines on his chart meant.

Not to paint all sailors with the same brush, but there IS a problem out there, and I, for one, am glad to see the authorities getting serious about it.
Seems to be most common among racing sailors...during a race, pressing your right-of-way over other boats often is more important than actually sailing fast but they seem to have a difficult time adjusting to normal operations after the race is over.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 07:34   #13

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Seems to be most common among racing sailors...during a race, pressing your right-of-way over other boats often is more important than actually sailing fast but they seem to have a difficult time adjusting to normal operations after the race is over.

Racers are a whole different breed... I had a good one last year where a local sailing club was out racing in of the local bays in what I'd say were about Laser-sized boats. Only issue was there were probably 50 or so of them racing in a pretty tight pack across the entire width of the bay. I was heading in and had to sit at a dead stop and wait for a good 3 - 4 minutes because they were blocking the entire navigable width (for anything with more than a 2 foot draft) of the bay with no option to pass safely.

I'd been running down the bay up on plane, so when I stopped to wait, I just left the trim tabs down and when I had an opportunity to go safely without being too close to them, I just gave it a fistful of of throttle for about 19 kts, trimmed down further to flatten my wake as much as possible and went for it. The majority of them didn't even seem to notice, the few that did seemed to just give a glance and be glad I was getting out of their way quickly, and none appeared any bit bothered by the bit of wake. Considering the size of the group and how much space they were covering, I don't think there's any way I could have gotten through there at 7 kts safely. Fortunately, it was a fairly light traffic day and also fairly early in the day, so I doubt they had too much other traffic to contend with before they finished up.

In general, I'm happy to give racers a wide berth and let them just focus on the race, but every once in a while, a group seems to think they just own the water with no concern for their impact on anyone else's ability to navigate.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 07:42   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Racers are a whole different breed... I had a good one last year where a local sailing club was out racing in of the local bays in what I'd say were about Laser-sized boats. Only issue was there were probably 50 or so of them racing in a pretty tight pack across the entire width of the bay. I was heading in and had to sit at a dead stop and wait for a good 3 - 4 minutes because they were blocking the entire navigable width (for anything with more than a 2 foot draft) of the bay with no option to pass safely.
Really shouldn't be holding a race in channels...particularly for small dingies but it happens frequently.

I did used to have some fun with it. Had an 18" draft boat and idiots would start impromptu races. After trying to move away from them a couple times, we would run them into the shallows where we were quite happy going.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 07:51   #15

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Really shouldn't be holding a race in channels...particularly for small dingies but it happens frequently.

I did used to have some fun with it. Had an 18" draft boat and idiots would start impromptu races. After trying to move away from them a couple times, we would run them into the shallows where we were quite happy going.

The challenge with that one is it's not technically a channel. Here's a chart of the area, annotated to show my path and their race course. Red arrow is my course, orange loop indicates the race course.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	race chart.png
Views:	209
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	214996  
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rule, skipper