Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2021, 17:02   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 43T Telstar keel
Ships Station License and MMSI

Ladies and gents,

I searched high and low for this, and although there is a lot of info, a lot of it is contradictory and just plain wrong. Here is my question to the folks here...

I need to get an MMSI number for a 43' sail boat used for pleasure cruising. It was purchased in the US and I am a US citizen. The boat is federally documented with the USCG. I WILL be cruising internationally.

I know I need a ships station license which will then get me my MMSI. I am one of the rare people that actually possesses a Commercial Radiotelephone Operator's License, not a restricted one. I got it many years ago when working on aircraft avionics and electronics in general.

My question is... What online process do I follow? Is there an online form that the FCC has that I simply can complete to get my ships station license and MMSI? Is there a cost?

Thanks

Phil
CharmCityBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 17:34   #2

Re: Ships Station License and MMSI

I think might you be getting confused,
the MMSI and ships station license are 2 different items.
MMSI is for VHF and DSC...but yes get an international number..not a US number
ships station is HF..

at least from my understanding.. I have both an international MMSI and a ship station.
MMSI is thru BoatUS the ship station is thru the FCC.

-dkenny64
dkenny64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 17:41   #3

Boat: Morgan 382

Go the the FCC website.
First you need to get an FRN number, which will identify you for the process.
Then fill out online form 605, and schedule 605B.
The fill out form 159, used to submit payment.

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/support...ion-number-frn

https://www.fcc.gov/fcc-form-605

https://www.fcc.gov/licensing-databa...dvice-form-159
Old 08-08-2021, 17:41   #4

Boat: Yamaha 33

The Boat US MMSI is not international. I got my FCC ship's license online through the FCC website. It has my MMSI. There is a fee.

See https://www.fcc.gov/ship-radio-stations
vaporware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 17:42   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkenny64 View Post
I think might you be getting confused,
the MMSI and ships station license are 2 different items.
MMSI is for VHF and DSC...but yes get an international number..not a US number
ships station is HF..

at least from my understanding.. I have both an international MMSI and a ship station.
MMSI is thru BoatUS the ship station is thru the FCC.

-dkenny64
BoatUS cannot issue an international MMSI. An international MMSI is issued by the FCC in conjunction with a ship station license.
Old 08-08-2021, 17:48   #6

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

No such thing international MMSI, ALL MMSI ARE NATIONAL, the first 3 digits are the country code of the flag / station. You can use an US issued MMSI internationally.

http://www.telecomabc.com/m/mmsi.htm...00%20and%20799.

MMSI and Ship Station license are interchangeable for the same thing, as the MMSI you get is for a ship station in contrast to MMSI for land based radio stations.

Along with it you may also get a call sign. The call sign also encodes the flag country and contains letters and numbers.

The ITU issues country codes to the country registration organizations, that then issue and manage the MMSI and Call signs.
Old 08-08-2021, 17:53   #7

Boat: Hans Christian 43T Telstar keel

I figured it out. I applied for the ships station license and will receive an MMSI number once it has been processed and completed. Yikes, $220.00. Not cheap folks! Small price to pay though to make sure I have a working EPIRB that people can actual use to find me if the worst happens.
CharmCityBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 19:25   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
No such thing international MMSI, ALL MMSI ARE NATIONAL, the first 3 digits are the country code of the flag / station. You can use an US issued MMSI internationally.

Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI) - Telecom ABC.

MMSI and Ship Station license are interchangeable for the same thing, as the MMSI you get is for a ship station in contrast to MMSI for land based radio stations.

Along with it you may also get a call sign. The call sign also encodes the flag country and contains letters and numbers.

The ITU issues country codes to the country registration organizations, that then issue and manage the MMSI and Call signs.
In the US, several organizations issue MMSI numbers that can only be used within the US, as they don't use ITU codes. That is what the poster meant with regards to an international number. MMSI numbers issued by BoatUS are not recognized by the ITU and cannot be used internationally.

Also, an MMSI and ship license are distinctly different. The MMSI identifies the ship in some communications(AIS and DSC primarily) . The Ship License authorizes certain communications (SSB, VHF, Satellite, Radar etc.) . The two can exist separately, even though the MMSI is usually issued concurrently with the ship license.
Old 08-08-2021, 21:02   #9

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
In the US, several organizations issue MMSI numbers that can only be used within the US, as they don't use ITU codes. That is what the poster meant with regards to an international number. MMSI numbers issued by BoatUS are not recognized by the ITU and cannot be used internationally.

Also, an MMSI and ship license are distinctly different. The MMSI identifies the ship in some communications(AIS and DSC primarily) . The Ship License authorizes certain communications (SSB, VHF, Satellite, Radar etc.) . The two can exist separately, even though the MMSI is usually issued concurrently with the ship license.
This doesn't make any sense, as random MMSI numbers woul mess up the communications and be ambiguous. Even more, the US regulations are to be blamed why you cannot change / program your new MMSI number yourself. On the other hand screwing up the ITU standards and issuing local MMSI numbers for local waters only without proper country code seems crazy. US waters are passed by international traffic, that relies on AIS and proper numbering to the standards. Immagine, every country starts to issue random MMSI locally.
Old 08-08-2021, 21:43   #10
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
This doesn't make any sense, as random MMSI numbers woul mess up the communications and be ambiguous. Even more, the US regulations are to be blamed why you cannot change / program your new MMSI number yourself. On the other hand screwing up the ITU standards and issuing local MMSI numbers for local waters only without proper country code seems crazy. US waters are passed by international traffic, that relies on AIS and proper numbering to the standards. Immagine, every country starts to issue random MMSI locally.
The US uniquely decided as is has essentially an unlicensed marine vhf system nationally , that it reserved a segment of MMSI numbers assigned to it that could be handled out by several organizations nationally without a ships license. Hence as no call sign was therefore issued the mmsi numbers could not be registered internationally with the ITU. ( a call sign must be assigned )

a ships radio station license is a permit to legally establish a ships radio station and transmit radio from a ship , this includes vhf , mf, hf, radar etc. it’s nothing to do with operator certifications

A key component is the ships station licence assigns a Call sign. Since DSC/ GMDSS the ships license normally includes a itu registered MMSI the call sign should be used in radio telephony traffic

In no case does the US issue a MMSI that conflicts with any other MMSI issued internationally. It issues its “ national “ MMSI s from a bank of numbers assigned to it by the ITU.

Other countries typically require formal operator certification and only a certified operator can apply for a ships radio station licence, and it need not be the owner of the vessel.

Contrary to several US sites, countries now assign MMSIs with any trailing digit to a vessel unlikely to have Inmarsat capability.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:35   #11

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

https://www.itu.int/mmsapp/ShipStation/list
find any ship, if not, it's not "international" mmsi
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:15   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharmCityBoater View Post
I figured it out. I applied for the ships station license and will receive an MMSI number once it has been processed and completed. Yikes, $220.00. Not cheap folks! Small price to pay though to make sure I have a working EPIRB that people can actual use to find me if the worst happens.
But EPIRB is another system altogether!
bobgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:33   #13

Boat: C&C 29 MkI

Rather than renew my International ships call sign and linked mmsi, can I get a new US mmsi from BoatUSA free and will it be recognized by the Canadians on the Great Lakes if I squawk a mayday to say Cardinal Radio or some such station?
fdr14127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:59   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdr14127 View Post
Rather than renew my International ships call sign and linked mmsi, can I get a new US mmsi from BoatUSA free and will it be recognized by the Canadians on the Great Lakes if I squawk a mayday to say Cardinal Radio or some such station?
No. You are not allowed to use an MMSI issued by boat US anywhere outside of the US. I also believe that you are not even allowed to use a VHF radio outside the US without a ship station license.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:27   #15

Boat: 1987 Pearson 39-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgarrett View Post
But EPIRB is another system altogether!
Yes, but it can be registered together with other forms of communication so that all are identified with your boat, as well as you the owner.
SeaStory is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license