Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2021, 13:30   #46

Re: Ship registry

Reference Transport Canada for vessel registration.

Simple and inexpensive. Fly your Maple Leafed Flag.

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-trans...e-registration

Only complexity is obtaining your tonnage measurement. Request FP's assistance / guidance in this regard. [And as having FP arrange for the Temporary Import Status upon your acceptance of the boat from FP, so as to avoid the imposition of VAT upon purchase.] Both of these issues are subjects that they have dealt with numerous times.

Bon voyage.

References:

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-trans...e-measurements

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-trans...cted-certified

The Vessel Registration and Tonnage Regulations of the Canada Shipping Act 2001 ( CSA 2001) cover vessel ownership, registration and tonnage measurement and their purpose is to prescribe certain obligations to owners of registered vessels including the requirements pertaining to tonnage. Tonnage measurement is mandatory for the purpose of registration.

The tonnage of vessels shall be determined in accordance with the Vessel Registration and Tonnage Regulations and TP 13430 (Standard for the Tonnage Measurement of Vessels) by a duly appointed Tonnage Measurer. Depending on compliance with certain limitations described in the TP 13430, tonnage of some small vessels may be determined by their owners as described below.

For vessels of less than 12 metres in length as defined in the Small Vessel Regulations (SVR), you can choose to use the “Assigned Formal Tonnage” (non-calculated tonnage). Assigned Formal Tonnage simply means linking the length of the vessel to the tonnage number in the table in subsection 3.7 of TP 13430.

Less than 8.5 m = gross tonnage of 4.99
8.5 m or more but less than 10 m = gross tonnage of 9.99
10 m or more but less than 12 m = gross tonnage of 14.99
Should you require a more accurate tonnage calculation instead of the non-calculated “Assigned Formal Tonnage”, use Form 4A or 4B (see below).

In addition to the non-calculated “Assigned Formal Tonnage” and as an option, if chosen by the ship owner instead of the full measurement by the appointed Tonnage Measurer, the Simplified Method, can be used by the vessel owner as described in Part 3 of the TP 13430. This method applies for the following vessels:

Monohull of 15 metres in tonnage measurement length (TML) or less having not more than a single tier of deckhouses and/or superstructures (including breaks that are also being regarded as one tier of superstructures) whose total combined length does not exceed 70% of TML - use Form 4A Simplified Method of Tonnage Measurement [PDF version].
“Monohull vessel” means a vessel having just one hull.

Simple multihull vessels of 15 metres in tonnage measurement length (TML) or less - use Form 4B Tonnage Measurement of a Simple Multihull Vessel [PDF version].

“Simple multihull vessel” means a flat platform installed on two or more pontoons and having no other spaces that could contribute to the volume of the vessel except the pontoons. That is not the FP Condomaran

For full tonnage calculations in accordance with Part 3 of the TP 13430 please use the services of an appointed Tonnage Measurer.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 19:14   #47

Boat: 105 Palmer Johnson MY

I have been through this drill before. Register in Canada, cheap and easy except the admeasrurement problem. You need a qualified tonnage measurer for which they have a list of Appointed Measurers. Unfortunately there are none in France.

From my experIence you can tell them you cannot get it done until you return to the US or Canada and they will forget about it. Sooner or later you may have to get it but I used my boat for years and sold it without actually getting measured.

Don’t pay VAT in Europe. Your charter company can tell you the drill in Bahamas.
Simple
DShant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 19:24   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DShant View Post
I have been through this drill before. Register in Canada, cheap and easy except the admeasrurement problem. You need a qualified tonnage measurer for which they have a list of Appointed Measurers. Unfortunately there are none in France.

From my experIence you can tell them you cannot get it done until you return to the US or Canada and they will forget about it. Sooner or later you may have to get it but I used my boat for years and sold it without actually getting measured.
You may have gotten away with that back when there were local registrar offices run by the old boys network. Now there is only one office in Ottawa and it's run by bureaucrats. I can't see that flying today.

I have seen the new order convinced to provide a provisional certificate with measurement to follow but only after I was contracted as measurer and confirmed that I had been booked. With a provisional certificate the file remains open and they do follow up. The last thing one needs is to explain to a foreign customs officer is why your certificate is "only" provisional and why it's expired cause you're sure not getting an updated one without the measurement.
Old 19-01-2021, 04:00   #49
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DShant View Post

Don’t pay VAT in Europe. Your charter company can tell you the drill in Bahamas.
Simple
sailing around Europe in an unregistered boat is very ill advised . You will run into lots of issues, its also illegal in several countries
Old 19-01-2021, 23:37   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyB View Post
[snip]
We...purchased a new FP cat...We don't intend to sail the boat to Canada. We would have to pay a 15% sales tax if we did.
[snip]
The seller pays sale tax(es).

You are the purchaser, tax(es) on the seller side of the transaction do not concern you.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 00:28   #51

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMarge View Post

You are the purchaser, tax(es) on the seller side of the transaction do not concern you.

As the importer the owner (buyer) is liable for any import taxes: GST + PST or HST and any applicable duties.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 03:30   #52
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMarge View Post

It’s never quite that simple unfortunately