Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2021, 04:31   #1

Boat: Albin Vega 27 / Ericson E30
Season still miles away...

Am waiting and waiting to take off.

I´d like to leave towards the south, but Marinas do not answer E-Mails, Government regulations are not clear and Port openiongs are not visible.

One of the major problems to leave during Corona is the closed services in the different Marinas. In Holland there are no showers, no toilets and nothing. In Belgium, no answer on the Marinas, even if open. France the ports are open, but then Spain, some open some closed, Portugal completely closed.

I hopened with the vaccine, there would be some clearance of entering the Marinas, but no....
Albinvega27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 04:53   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Season still miles away...

Well seeing as Portugal has only administered 1 million first doses it's little surprise.. and political games up North don't help matters..
First AZ is no good for over 65's.. now AZ is reserved for over 55's only..
Its a useless jab..
Its dangerous..
Now it's okay again so let's see how things progress/regress from Monday.
I do know Horta in the Azores is open.. Tres Hombres pulled in yesterday.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 04:56   #3

Re: Season still miles away...

On the other hand, in France and Spain, people are nice and helpful. Haven't been to Portugal to be able to tell.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 05:02   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Season still miles away...

We are still in lockdowns, no travel outside immediate area unless for work, everything closed from 1pm weekends, bars/restaurants closed or takeaway only, non essential shops closed.
Frontiers closed..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 05:23   #5

That sucks. Here in Spain the life is somewhat normal until 18:00.
Old 20-03-2021, 09:14   #6

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

A few more weeks or months, it seems. The vaccine supply is starting to really increase dramatically, so I think in the US herd immunity is only three months away unless anti-vaxxers muck things up. In the EU, it's probably four months away.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 09:28   #7

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I hear your pain, and I agree that boaters are victims of the political response to covid. For the past year, I have been touring the US in my RV. My home state told me to stay home. Some of the other 22 states I visited told me I had to quarantine for 2 weeks. No one enforced any of those rules. I stayed in campgrounds, RV parks, Walmart parking lots, and driveways of friends and relatives. I wore a mask in stores, and did not visit indoor restaurants, bars, and tourist attractions. Essentially, I was self quarantining in a moving house. With all this freedom, I never got covid, and I retained my sanity.

There is no practical difference between what I was doing and what a cruising boater would have done--except that I would never have gotten away with it on a boat.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 10:03   #8

Boat: Victoire 1270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albinvega27 View Post
In Holland there are no showers, no toilets and nothing.
We're in the Netherlands and so far, have not found a closed marina or showers we couldn't use. Not heard of any either ...

It's still early though, and the season hasn't really started yet. Smaller marina's may still be in winter modus?
syPhilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 10:55   #9

Boat: Albin Vega 27 / Ericson E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by syPhilos View Post
We're in the Netherlands and so far, have not found a closed marina or showers we couldn't use. Not heard of any either ...

It's still early though, and the season hasn't really started yet. Smaller marina's may still be in winter modus?
Will you then kindly tell me, if the Marinas along tha Atlantic Coast are providing services? Because Harbormasters tell, there sanitation services are closed due to Governmental Regulations. Since I don´t understand Dutch and English is not provided in the Governmental Site of Regulations, I am tricked...
Albinvega27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 13:17   #10

2020 COVID-19 Pandemic initiation.

2021 COVID-19 Pandemic transition year.

2022 Prediction: Nearing new normal [assuming variants don't turn over the apple cart].

Reality Check: Recommend finding social distancing compliant hobbies at or near home for the remainder of this year. The virus has and will establish its own timeline.

Stay safe, stay healthy. All the best.
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 13:43   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Reality Check: Recommend finding social distancing compliant hobbies at or near home for the remainder of this year.
How about this?
Click image for larger version

Name:	socialdistance.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	234854
Old 20-03-2021, 14:19   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
How about this?
Attachment 234854

That be like me in 2020 on an alpine lakes in Montana, albeit with our smallest of our three sailboats, an 18 foot, Hobie Tandem Island Adventure, [a kayak with two amas] sort of like a kayak trimaran with an 18 foot tall mast and Hobie's Mirage Drive / "Penguin Feet" to provide pedaled power when the wind lightens.

Hope to launch at the end of May, our day cruiser and place it in the marina for the season on the large lake this summer, and then trailer the Hobie to provide camping on remote alpine lakes in Glacier National Park.

Perhaps reunite with our large boat in the Caribbean in 2022 which a friend has been having fun with for heck going on a year and who will have the run of the boat for all of 2021. He tends to our boat and enjoys the tropics, a good trade, albeit with lockdowns his sailing between the islands has been limited.
Old 20-03-2021, 14:24   #13
Marine Service Provider

Smile Re: Season still miles away...

Try Panama, we at Shelter Bay Marina may occasionally miss a late night phone call but we never closed and we answer the mail as well as most social media. All of Panama is now open.
Let us know you are coming and we will help with any issues.
By the way ta a great place to be.
Russ@shelterbaymarina.com
Russ Goedjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 15:26   #14

I'll be gobsmacked; the cruise lines are starting to schedule cruises in the Caribbean.

News today:

Some of Royal Caribbean Group’s cruises will resume sailing in the Caribbean in June with vaccinated adult guests, ending a year-long hiatus brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic. Adventure of the Seas and Celebrity Millennium ships will also have vaccinated crews and accept children under the age of 18 with a negative COVID-19 test.

Adventure of the Seas will homeport in Nassau, The Bahamas, with the itinerary also including stops in Cozumel, Mexico and Royal Caribbean’s own private island. Celebrity Millennium will homeport in Caribbean island St. Maarten. “The vaccines are clearly a game changer for all of us,” Royal Caribbean International Chief Executive Officer Michael Bayley said.
Old 30-03-2021, 15:39   #15

MADRID, March 29 (Xinhua) -- The Spanish government has extended its travel ban on journeys from countries outside the European Union (EU) and Schengen Area for a further one month.

The restrictions, due to expire on March 31, will be extended until April 30,
according to Spain's Official State Bulletin (BOE) on Monday.

The ban is on "non-essential travel between third nations outside the EU or associated Schengen countries" out of consideration for public order and health during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the BOE said.

The BOE also said that the ban on travel to Spanish ports and airports from Britain will not be extended beyond March 31, allowing travel between the two countries for non-Spanish nationals or residents in the country to restart on April 1.