Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2014, 06:08   #1

Boat: 32' Bristol ketch
Schengen overstay: Canary Islands

Has anyone on a non-EU yacht had any actual experience in consequences of having overstayed Schengen agreement when departing the Canaries? Thanks! Katie
Rehoboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:11   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Schengen overstay: Canary Islands

Friends of mine did, and had no issue once it was clear there were leaving on a yacht. but this was 2 years ago.

dave
Old 11-06-2014, 06:54   #3

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I don't think anyone can specifically address your situation except as a poll of what happened to them, which has zero applicability as to what will happen in the future. Once you've overstayed, the official in question can shrug it off and wave at you as you depart the anchorage, or can reflect on his poor choices in love, his nagging hemorrhoids, and (this is the important part) his country's near-bankrupt status and can steal your boat...sorry, "impound"...because his mandate is to make the most money possible from rule-breakers.

This is directly related to his salary continuation, of course.

So I wouldn't overstay one minute in Europe were I you. I wouldn't carry Cuban rum in U.S. waters, even though it's legal for Canadian boats to do so. It is better to assume all bureaucracies are corrupt, crazy and money-grubbing, and the only way to avoid getting reamed is to play scrupulously within their rules.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:02   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
(this is the important part) his country's near-bankrupt status and can steal your boat...sorry, "impound"...because his mandate is to make the most money possible from rule-breakers.
maybe in corrupt third world places , like florida, but here in liberal europe we do no such thing. You boat is not at risk, your passport maybe .

as for bankrupt
Quote:
The economy of the European Union generates a GDP of over €13 trillion (US$16.6 trillion in 2012)[1] according to Eurostat, which makes it the largest economy in the world if treated as a single economy.
I think not. hey are we spending all those chinnese dollars yet.

In the main overstays where then users leaves via yacht, particularly in spain have been overlooked. However the illegal immigrant crisis in southern europe and particularly "benefit tourism" has generated a lot of heat from richer Northern EU countries to make southern europe tighten its borders. It has even degenerated into threatening the free movement of people if some Southern EU states don't shape up.

Hence its not his haemorrhoids you need too worry about rather the e-mail he just received indirectly from his masters in Brussels to tighten things up etc that cause the problems

dave
Old 11-06-2014, 14:37   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I was at the end if my Shengen visa time when inwas in the Canaries. I arrived with some time still on the clock but i needed to stay till the season to cross. So i needed a two month extension.
I wrote up a letter and translated it on Google Translate and made it look all lovey-dovey and took it in with proof of funds etc. The guy wouldn't even take it. He just looked at my passport and said its fine for me to stay.

The Canaries are in a unique situation. There is little commerce except for tourism and related industries. They are fully aware their island would cease to operate without it.
Perhaps 1,000 sail boats yearly go through the canaries and if they get difficult people will take alternatives, like Maderia, Morocco, Senegal, or the Cape Verd Islands. They have to protect their market.

So i would suggest you do similar. Go with some time on your visa and then ask abput an extension. They can't chuck you out into the hurricane season.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote