Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2015, 21:51   #16

Re: Scary Night Encounter with Homeland Security

Sounds like more "Rambo" kind of mentality by those who are supposed to protect & serve. No lights, at night is irresponsible imho, they'd write us up for doing same, correct? We are becoming a quas-militarized police state in some cases. What happened to passé comitatus? Also, federal agencies tend to expand their footprint & show presence , all in the name of justifying one of the largest budgeted agencies & staffed in the Fed Budget. Use it one lose it, so they use the heck out of it to justify a ridiculous budget. I'm tired of big brother flexing their muscles.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Scubacarole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 22:06   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Some people ,without thought ,easily give away their freedoms and rights guaranteed by the US Constitution and Bill of Rights. Generally, these are usually people who have never read nor understand these documents and do not know the History of the US and our historical fight for freedom from King George III-the German King of England. They feel more comfortable under the Big Thumb of government. It is how they have been hardwired from birth. I think IceOps, a former CG and man of experience, said it best. Remember, a house rarely falls without reason . . . it usually rots one timber at a time.
So true. And what's ironic is that these very same people who domestically are oblivious to the fact of the "big brother" encroaching it's bootprint upon our way of life are the first ones to notice the governments run amock in a some distant foreign lands. Truly seeing the splinter in someone else's eye without seeing a log in one's own.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 22:53   #18

Ben Franklin Quotes. “They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” ”Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither.”
jak3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 23:21   #19

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Having been boarded by Homeland Security I can attest to the drastic differences between theirs and Coast Guard protocols.

Pouncing out of the night seems to be the preferred method of the men in black.
Old 21-03-2015, 09:24   #20

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

You should complain to your local govt office, that way they'll put you on the "safety inspection upon every siting" list.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 10:21   #21

Boat: Little Harbor 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
Having been boarded by Homeland Security I can attest to the drastic differences between theirs and Coast Guard protocols.

Pouncing out of the night seems to be the preferred method of the men in black.
I'm curious as to why we have to have these additional agencies when we have five branches of defense already which can cover the need to enforce the laws. The regulations that have been developed and improved upon in the armed forces over 200 years are far better for the civilian and armed forces personnel. I expect that FEMA, DHS, EPA, TSA, etc. are created to give them autonomy to make their own rules and deal with the public with their own agenda.

No doubt in my mind that the CG are diligent but polite.

My Army unit (14th ACR) were border guards up until the end of WWII when it was moved to GDR on the East border. Why do we need ICE?

I'm just saying the organization was there already and the accountability was there to deal with the thugs that want to break the rules. Who is policing the police?

We have let good intensions enslave us with way too many laws that are only enforced selectively by unelected bully's.
FlightPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 10:35   #22

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

The Constitution of the United States, laws, regulations, policies, and other legal issueslimit the use of federal military personnel in domestic support operations.*Any Army involvement in civil disturbance it home land intrusions operations involves many legal issues requiring comprehensive legal reviews. However,federal forces are authorized for use in civil disturbance and hinge land operations under certain circumstances. The military is trained to do 1 thing and we do it well kill. When you start asking it to do operations other than what it was originally train for the military becomes weaker.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 10:42   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mondays View Post
We had a very unpleasant encounter this summer when returning from the Canadian Gulf Islands to Roche Harbor in the San Juan Islands. We were in a group of 7 small (26') sailboats checking thru Immigration and Customs in this quiet recreational port. The officials on the Canadian side were most polite and helpful so we were thinking of doing this trip again. But the officials on the American side were rude and belligerent so much so that they had my wife in tears. And they were the same to the rest of our flotilla. No excuse for this behavior. If foreign tourism is down I can understand why.
The a$$holes at Roche have been mentioned many, many times in lots of boating forums. A breed to be despised. There are many other places to check in close by without those jerks.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 10:45   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
The Constitution of the United States, laws, regulations, policies, and other legal issueslimit the use of federal military personnel in domestic support operations.*Any Army involvement in civil disturbance it home land intrusions operations involves many legal issues requiring comprehensive legal reviews. However,federal forces are authorized for use in civil disturbance and hinge land operations under certain circumstances. The military is trained to do 1 thing and we do it well kill. When you start asking it to do operations other than what it was originally train for the military becomes weaker.

You may be tending to forget the ineptly named "Patriot Act." It took away all your rights.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 10:51   #25

Boat: Little Harbor 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post

Good answer, and most likely correct. So lets say let the retired Service Officers and veterans make up the domestic requirements under the same organization and respect to the Constitution of the United States. Bureaucrats just don't abide. Too many chiefs run by politicians.
FlightPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 22:06   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottthardin View Post
(SNIP)
Homeland Security bad@ss boat running with no lights doing about 25 knots.
(SNIP)
Their crossing our path with so little clearance was startling so I shut it down to idle speed and said WTH!
(SNIP)
I guess they were just doing their job and we are lucky to have them out there protecting our coasts but it was a bit spooky.
Breaking the law... operating in a manner which results in other people feeling legitimately unsafe... but gee thanks for giving us the run around when we express displeasure.

Not what I refer to as lucky...
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, security