Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2014, 05:30   #1

Boat: Valiant 50
Salinas, Puerto Rico .. clearing in?

Has anyone arrived in Salinas (from the DR) and then traveled by road to the official Port of Entry of Ponce to clear in?

I know this procedure is tolerated by CBP in other parts of PR but don't know about Ponce.
Old 31-05-2014, 06:44   #2

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Re: Salinas, Puerto Rico .. clearing in?

Since you will be sailing past Ponce, why not stop there and check in? It is an easy port to enter and leave and not significantly out of the way (perhaps six miles in and out).

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2014, 07:46   #3

Because it's 6 miles out of the way. Say 2 hours. Plus immigration formalities plus dingy into water and back out.. Means it will take 6+ hours extra.

And by then the trades will have piped up making for a very late afternoon arrival in Salinas after an uncomfortable 5 hour bash to windward in steep seas.

This is the reason I posted the query.

I would be grateful for advice from anyone who has personal experience.

Thanks.
Old 31-05-2014, 09:02   #4

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
Has anyone arrived in Salinas (from the DR) and then traveled by road to the official Port of Entry of Ponce to clear in?
I know this procedure is tolerated by CBP in other parts of PR but don't know about Ponce.
Quote:
Because it's 6 miles out of the way. Say 2 hours.
SNIP
I would be grateful for advice from anyone who has personal experience.
Thanks.
Can you please clarify if you are referring to a US-reg boat with US citizens on board or not?

On my foreign boat full of "aliens" I would not think about not following what the CBP (PR and elsewhere in US) guys have told me in person, over the phone and in their web site, which is sail the boat to a port of entry and then call them for instructions, all of that before stopping or anchoring anywhere else in US waters. Sorry I am too wimpy to risk pissing off the Feds, hence i cannot share experience on that front..

Can you please share the source of your comment about CBP tolerating stops of inbound boats before the PR port of entry? Are you referring to cases where they did know about the stopover?

Thanks in advance

Charlie
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2014, 09:15   #5

OK, I know that its tolerated in Boqueron. Anchor and take a taxi to Mayaguez - there is actually chap there who makes a living providing this service.. I happen to know 2 "aliens" who did this a few days ago and everything went smoothly.

But you have to telephone them as soon as you arrive and advise them.

There is no sneaky business going on. You anchor and then immediately get cracking and run as fast as your little legs will carry you to the CBP at the Port Of Entry.

Quite rightly, they wont tolerate "cruising" under a Q flag. Some cruisers I know have a habit of bending and ignoring foreign rules.

There is no question one has to respect the rules of the land and also to respect those who are responsible for policing those rules. Just so you understand, and to be very, very clear, I am not advocating anything other than that.!!

As for us.. yes, foreign flag and with valid and current US Cruising permit (this is essential!!). 2 crew, both with B1/B2 visas (also essential !).

That's all I know for now.. My fingers are crossed that someone out there has done it recently and can advise.
Old 31-05-2014, 09:21   #6

Quote:
OK, I know that its tolerated in Boqueron. Anchor and take a taxi to Mayaguez - there is actually chap there who makes a living providing this service.. I happen to know 2 "aliens" who did this a few days ago and everything went smoothly.

As for us.. yes, foreign flag and with valid and current US Cruising permit (this is essential!!). 2 crew, both with B1/B2 visas (also essential !).

That's all I know for now.. My fingers are crossed that someone out there has done it recently and can advise.
Thanks for clarifying a bit. That said, I would not claim that CBP tolerates anything unless there is evidence that they knew about that "anything". One things is CBP tolerating something, another is them not finding out....

Do you have reason to believe that the guy stamping the passports knew that those "aliens" had landed in a place that was not a Port of Entry? If would need a "yes" answer to that before I feel that they will tolerate that stuff...

I await details with interest...

C
Old 31-05-2014, 09:27   #7

Of course they knew the yacht had arrived in Boqueron. My friends are law abiding and upright people. They do not so anything sneaky.

Looks like I'll have to burn $30 on an Iridium call to find out for sure.

Thanks anyway..
Old 31-05-2014, 09:46   #8

$30 later.. the answer was a firm NO... bugger!

So its Ponce then!.
Old 31-05-2014, 09:55   #9

Quote:
$30 later.. the answer was a firm NO... bugger!

So its Ponce then!.
Thanks for sharing that. I am sorry for the $30, you can get lots of beer with that. I was just going to make the call to let you save the $30 for beer....

Cheers from another alien

C
Old 31-05-2014, 10:04   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
Thanks for sharing that. I am sorry for the $30, you can get lots of beer with that. I was just going to make the call to let you save the $30 for beer....

Cheers from another alien

C
Thanks!!... Actualy $30 was an exaggeration - its just that using the Iridium makes me cry.

However Boqueron - is perfectly OK for aliens to land and take a taxi to Mayaguez!.. Go figure?..

I know this because I made a call to that effect and also if you look at noonsite web pages on clearing in in PR it sasy as much and even details the name and phone number of a "facilitator".

Cheers

Niels
Old 31-05-2014, 10:39   #11

Quote:
Actualy $30 was an exaggeration - its just that using the Iridium makes me cry.
Welcome to America.

Isn't that why you brought the phone?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:58   #12

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Instead of calling right away, I took a nap after I dropped a hook in Boqueron after a non-stop solo run from Luperon. Well i was woken up and boarded by a small PR coast guard boat. They searched the whole boat inside and out. And advised me to call Mayaguez office right away, and then call the taxi driver, I believe his name was Rambo, and go do the paperwork in Mayaquez. At the time, Sundowner was a US boat but I was a green card holder, so no coast guard documentation, just the dear old "State of RI and Providence Plantations" tittle and registration. I say dear old because that registration and lack of Coast guard documentation almost got the boat confiscated, and me arrested in the DR 6 months earlier.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:15   #13

Boat: Islander Yachts Corp, Bahamas 30 shoal draft 4 ft
Send a message via MSN to casique8

big mistake, should make customs in mayaguez alway bud

Sent from my SM-G900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
Puerto Rico