Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2019, 10:06   #46

Boat: Wild Marine, Custom Cat, Wild 45, 45+/-feet - Masalama
Re: Russian spy ship right in my next rumb line

"The Russians are coming, the Russians are coming." I've been listening to this tired old B.S. since my youth in the 1940's (just after the Russians won WWII for us by bogging the Nazi's down on the Western Front at the cost of 26 million dead Russians). I was taught to hide under my school desk for protection against incoming Russian nukes. I was kept posted on the location of the nearest fallout shelter with supplies stocked against the nuclear winter. I watched while we ringed all of mother Russia with NATO missiles and then went bonkers when they responded by sending some of theirs to Cuba. I was aghast as we funded, armed, and trained Islamic fanatics to launch a guerilla war against Russians trying to protect their flank against terrorism. Now they're interfering in our elections, responsible for Killary Clinton loosing her abysmally run campaign against Donald Trump. I'm old enough and informed enough to know fake news when I hear it. The ongoing attack on Russia, who should be one of our best allies, is the most fake of all the news of today.
Old 30-12-2019, 10:13   #47

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightsusan View Post
"The Russians are coming, the Russians are coming." I've been listening to this tired old B.S. since my youth in the 1940's (just after the Russians won WWII for us by bogging the Nazi's down on the Western Front at the cost of 26 million dead Russians). I was taught to hide under my school desk for protection against incoming Russian nukes. I was kept posted on the location of the nearest fallout shelter with supplies stocked against the nuclear winter. I watched while we ringed all of mother Russia with NATO missiles and then went bonkers when they responded by sending some of theirs to Cuba. I was aghast as we funded, armed, and trained Islamic fanatics to launch a guerilla war against Russians trying to protect their flank against terrorism. Now they're interfering in our elections, responsible for Killary Clinton loosing her abysmally run campaign against Donald Trump. I'm old enough and informed enough to know fake news when I hear it. The ongoing attack on Russia, who should be one of our best allies, is the most fake of all the news of today.
Ditto!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 10:49   #48

Boat: Gulfstar 41

I'm not a big fan of spies in general but:

In the 1989 Marion to Bermuda race, I received a SSB mayday call from a Canadian vessel that had accidently jibed and a crewman had been hit in the head with the boom. The mainsheet also took out the steering binnacle, leaving the vessel with limited maneuvering ability. The crewman was unconscious and they were calling for assistance. We were too far away to assist and the only Coast Guard station we could raise was Southwest Harbor, ME. A Russian "research" ship responded that they were relatively nearby, had a physician onboard, and would respond. The crewman later died, but the Russian ship took the sailboat in tow and took it and the crew to New York. The ship was definitely a spy ship monitoring submarine traffic from the base in New London, CT. Although propagation was poor, the ship's signal was outstanding. If I recall correctly, it was named the Academic Voronsky (spelling?). They were the good guys that day.
lewisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 10:59   #49

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Moon them
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 11:32   #50

Boat: Bristol / 40 Cutter

Back in the early 90's I was few hundred miles off the east coast of Australia, it was calm seas, nice 10 to 12 breeze, and incredibly clear. The stars were so bright you could likely read a book on deck, so we pop the shute around 2am and declared it the best night sailing ever.

Around 3am on the helm I heard what sounded like a continuous large breaking wave behind us in the far distance closing fast with nothing on radar. So we went from total bliss to full adrenaline mode, immediately checked our harnesses, close the companionway, and I watched for a drop in depth and lift in the horizon behind us, anticipating some kind of rogue wave.

It was a huge submarine conning tower that passed us on the same heading about 50 yards to starboard with no lights.

It's no doubt if it would have came directly up our stern I wouldn't have had the time to drive up wind to avoid a collision.

My friend on deck said he would like to think the sub guys was in full control of the situation and laughing their ass off about likely scared the crap out of us, which they did.
xtream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 11:47   #51

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtream View Post
Back in the early 90's I was few hundred miles off the east coast of Australia, it was calm seas, nice 10 to 12 breeze, and incredibly clear. The stars were so bright you could likely read a book on deck, so we pop the shute around 2am and declared it the best night sailing ever.

Around 3am on the helm I heard what sounded like a continuous large breaking wave behind us in the far distance closing fast with nothing on radar. So we went from total bliss to full adrenaline mode, immediately checked our harnesses, close the companionway, and I watched for a drop in depth and lift in the horizon behind us, anticipating some kind of rogue wave.

It was a huge submarine conning tower that passed us on the same heading about 50 yards to starboard with no lights.

It's no doubt if it would have came directly up our stern I wouldn't have had the time to drive up wind to avoid a collision.

My friend on deck said he would like to think the sub guys was in full control of the situation and laughing their ass off about likely scared the crap out of us, which they did.
That sub had enough electronics that they could tell your prop. RPM. Same thing with the Bear off the US coast.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 18:42   #52

Boat: catalina 22 & 27

Dad was a sailor in the us navy during WW2.

He said they would see blips on the sonar and drop depth charges. Usually they got nothing. Sometimes they got an oil slick. Sometimes they saw blood from a whale they killed.

He also said that the Pacific was often dead calm. They would often go across glass flat water and their wake appeared to go over the horizon.

Dad loved the Navy but got out after the war. His enlistment was for the duration of the war. He did volunteer for an extra 6 months to take surrender of the Japanese forces. He spent most of that time in china.

Thx-Ace
Old 30-12-2019, 18:54   #53

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisa View Post
I'm not a big fan of spies in general but:

In the 1989 Marion to Bermuda race, I received a SSB mayday call from a Canadian vessel that had accidently jibed and a crewman had been hit in the head with the boom. The mainsheet also took out the steering binnacle, leaving the vessel with limited maneuvering ability. The crewman was unconscious and they were calling for assistance. We were too far away to assist and the only Coast Guard station we could raise was Southwest Harbor, ME. A Russian "research" ship responded that they were relatively nearby, had a physician onboard, and would respond. The crewman later died, but the Russian ship took the sailboat in tow and took it and the crew to New York. The ship was definitely a spy ship monitoring submarine traffic from the base in New London, CT. Although propagation was poor, the ship's signal was outstanding. If I recall correctly, it was named the Academic Voronsky (spelling?). They were the good guys that day.
Realist's x 3, how very refreshing, but there's sure to be someone along soon to attempt to shoot you down.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 19:19   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You guys don't understand or maybe aren’t considering the difference between individuals and their Governments.
No one abhors war more or wants to fight less than a Soldier.
Read this, if it weren’t for Governments, warlords, et all there would be a whole lot less fighting
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 21:52   #55

Boat: Bristol / 40 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
That sub had enough electronics that they could tell your prop. RPM. Same thing with the Bear off the US coast.
Later we were told it was likely a royal submarine conducting some kind of training exercise since they wasn't fully surfaced with lights.
xtream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 04:34   #56

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Quote:
"The Russians are coming, the Russians are coming." I've been listening to this tired old B.S. since my youth in the 1940's ............. . I'm old enough and informed enough to know fake news when I hear it. The ongoing attack on Russia, who should be one of our best allies, is the most fake of all the news of today.
AS am I. But to be fair, it seems to be a human tendency, i.e. we have to have a boogey man! I have lived in several different countries and they all do the same bull...

A sceptique?, well I believe I have earned my stripes.
Old 31-12-2019, 07:36   #57

Boat: catalina 22 & 27

I don't trust governments. Historically they are dishonest. Of course I may be biased since I am part Cherokee. Thx-Ace
Old 31-12-2019, 07:41   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Societies require a boogeyman, or if not a boogeyman, something to rally against, something to unite the people in a common cause.
If one doesn’t exist, one will be invented, or more likely something will be blown all out of proportion so that there is a cause to rally against.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 08:37   #59

Remember thay have wife's and children to ,but your there for fun thay are just doing a job
Alan green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:46   #60

Boat: Almarine modified Bruce Roberts NY65SL

Quote:

Absolutely true. During my time as a US Navy airborne combat information center operator, I saw how one sided it was the way NORAD denied the Russians access to the world's air space. But we tracked our Blackbirds flying out of Russia obviously without clearance.

The Bay of Pigs invasion was a cover up for an operation northwoods style false flag attack. Being a genius math geek, I didn't do much on my routine watches, so that I would be rested if things got real busy and they needed me to run the plot table. I noticed that Cuban war planes out of Havana would momentarily disappear under our radar as they circled around toward the Bay of Pigs. The US and Cuba were so close together that we were too close, and everyone was watching the Bay of Pigs battle. I took the very unusual step of watching under us with the height finder radar. Height finder was normally manned only for controlling intercepts. I picked up a Cuban attack plane flying low on the water, radar transponder off, radio silence, no request for clearance into the US ADIZ, no call for air control. An obvious bombing run. I informed the CIC crew and they pointed the main search antenna down, got him intercepted and forced down at Key West Naval Air Station. I expected a silver star medal, but instead, me and the whole crew were locked in the plane for an hour waiting for Curtis Lemay to show up. Lights were turned off so we couldn't recognize him, but his big silouette was easy to figure out from pictures. He threatened us with court martial if we breathed a work about anything on the flight. He ranted us into terror. We choked to keep silent as our ground crew made fun of us for wasting our time out there flying while they got to watch a Cuban war plane get forced down, towed into the woods and covered with tarps. The pilot was CIA. The story is in the history books. Anyone with an inkling of military knowledge will know how fake the history book story is. All made up to keep the American public and President Kennedy in the dark.
Elvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, rum, Russia