Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2020, 16:07   #91

Boat: Kelt 7.60
Re: Rules of the road - entering a channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
This is a good question. Lateral marks don't always mark a channel - frequently they are used alone to mark shoal water. And equally, channels often only have buoys on one side, or no buoys at all - they are then defined by their geography. In the simplest sense, a channel's defining characteristic is that it confines the direction of travel to 2 directions - up-channel and down-channel. If you think of a canal, that would be a classic channel. In fact the word 'canal' comes from the French word for 'channel'. And you can say you aren't completely limited to the course you follow in a canal; you'd be correct - you can cross a canal, but it's not a long trip and it typically won't get you anywhere. Of course, we then have the English Channel, where you have vessels going in hundreds of directions - and they had to go and confuse things by calling it a channel. You should think of it as a mega-channel, or a strait, but if it doesn't define the direction of traffic, it certainly defines the direction of the flow of the water - generally speaking.

Back to your OP, it sounds like a fine example of the strange habits of motor-boaters and their bizarre compulsion to cross ahead of sailboats, even if they have to go out of their way to do it. In a delta, or opening to a bay, where you can reasonably go in a wide arc of direction, you shouldn't really consider that you are confined to hugging the red buoys.
I was speaking of the definition of a channel per the rules. Maybe there is none. Is it odd that they keep mentioning "channels" but never define what a channel is? Or maybe they do and I've yet to find it.
mow2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 17:16   #92

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mow2000 View Post
But 9d does not apply because there is room to turn out of the channel (essentially it's not a "narrow" channel - but here again, what is the definition of a narrow channel?).

It depends.

A channel might be considered "narrow" when a large commercial vessel is involved in the situation, but not "narrow" when it's just small pleasure craft involved..
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 17:33   #93

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I will attempt to attach a portion of the chart which shows the actual location of my situation. In thinking about it now it's obvious these markers main (possibly only) purpose is to mark the shallow water to the north. What it doesn't show is the minefield of crab floats to the south and, based on experience, I'm a little skeptical of it's accuracy. I know that heading from "4" to "2" gives me safe passage. So how "wide" is this channel? Does it extend as far south as depth allows? Is it cone shaped? Is a boat to the south heading for marker "4" in the channel? Is it not a channel? What's the sound of one hand clapping?

I don't really expect answers to my questions (except for the last one). Just providing some food for thought.

There is no channel in that image, and certainly no narrow channel other than the actual entrance between the two points, so the whole discussion is moot.

Not all lateral marks mark channels. They are also used to "mark the safe side to pass a continuing hazard to navigation" such as shallow water, or long obstructions. Which is what they are used for in this case.

So the original post comes down to "give way to another power boat approaching from your starboard".

Much of the confusion comes from people using the phrase "channel markers" instead of the correct terminology "lateral mark". Once again we see that words do matter and poor terminology causes confusion and danger!
Old 12-09-2020, 04:18   #94

Boat: Kelt 7.60

Thanks gentlemen for clearing up the confusion. The narrow channel discussion was also helpful. Most of the potential collision situations I've had were from boats coming out of the marina from between docked boats or other obstructions. That area could actually be defined as a narrow channel.

In the future I will know that I don't have the "right-of-way" and the other boat is the "privileged" boat when I am driving in the non-channel which they are trying to enter!

Have a great weekend.
mow2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 05:46   #95

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
In the future I will know that I don't have the "right-of-way" and the other boat is the "privileged" boat when I am driving in the non-channel which they are trying to enter!

Please, not even as a joke. You never know who will read that in future.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:25   #96

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
I was speaking of the definition of a channel per the rules. Maybe there is none. Is it odd that they keep mentioning "channels" but never define what a channel is? Or maybe they do and I've yet to find it.
If it's not specifically defined in the Rules, then the common English-usage would be the correct definition. If you look at 'channel' as a verb it means 'to direct the flow of something (traffic, water, etc)' - this is what a channel does, as I explained previously. 'Narrow channel' is a much more difficult concept, as it will differ not only with the type of vessel, depending on its draught and manoeuvrability, but also on the density of the traffic, and proximity to hidden dangers. I think as a general rule of thumb, if you are able to make a 90º turn in either direction then the opposite turn back to your original course (so that you are parallel to your original track) without standing into danger or going aground, then you should not consider yourself to be confined in a "narrow channel". This applies individually to the vessel, so while you might not be in a narrow channel, another boat in that same bit of water might be in a narrow channel.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 12:16   #97

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
If it's not specifically defined in the Rules, then the common English-usage would be the correct definition.

500+ years of case law would provide more insight than a dictionary
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 12:44   #98

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>
My heading was towards the next channel marker but now it's in an entirely different direction (that I may not be comfortable with but may be navigable).

I will attempt to attach a portion of the chart which shows the actual location of my situation. In thinking about it now it's obvious these markers main (possibly only) purpose is to mark the shallow water to the north.

Those markers do not appear to be for a channel since there isn't one, or for marking water depths which the chart does. They appear to be markers for coming from the east and south for identification of location. And, yes, the water to the north is shallow, but the contour lines on the chart curve within and without a line between the markers.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 13:40   #99

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

When leaving/entering the marina with a low tide and the breakwater obstructing the view, I make a prolonged (several-seconds-long) horn blast.

"14(e) A vessel nearing a bend or an area of a channel or fairway where other vessels may be obscured by an intervening obstruction shall sound one prolonged blast. This signal shall be answered with a prolonged blast by any approaching vessel that may be within hearing around the bend or behind the intervening obstruction."

Doubt few other recreational boaters follow that rule.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leaving marina.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	357.6 KB
ID:	223297  
Old 12-09-2020, 16:10   #100

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
500+ years of case law would provide more insight than a dictionary
OK - how does 500+ years of case law define 'channel'?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 17:25   #101

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
When leaving/entering the marina with a low tide and the breakwater obstructing the view, I make a prolonged (several-seconds-long) horn blast.

"14(e) A vessel nearing a bend or an area of a channel or fairway where other vessels may be obscured by an intervening obstruction shall sound one prolonged blast. This signal shall be answered with a prolonged blast by any approaching vessel that may be within hearing around the bend or behind the intervening obstruction."

Doubt few other recreational boaters follow that rule.
Correction: that's COLREGS 34(e)

And in some parts of world, it's common practice even fro recreational boaters.
32 (c) says:
The term “prolonged blast” means a blast of from four to six seconds’ duration.
Personally, I think that's a bit excessive for small vessels in this situation. I'm happy with 2-3 seconds
Old 12-09-2020, 18:20   #102

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Visibility to one side coming out of the row of slips where I'm docked is pretty poor, so I always sound a 4 second blast before reaching the end.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 07:18   #103

I always try to search for threads on a subject before I post but never have much luck. Don't beat yourself up about it.
Poche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 07:30   #104
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau 410

What is interesting and common in a situation like this is that the other guy (in this case the powerboat) does not know you are constrained by draft nor does he/she know you have your engines on. Nor does he/she know that your rudder is not locked etc etc the list goes on. The powerboat must make some assumptions and those assumptions must be based on safety. The powerboat has the obligation to adjust course to not cause a collision. This does not specifically answer the question of who is the stand-on vessel. But it does show that the powerboat is still clearly in the wrong by missing you by a few feet and thus creating a close-quarters situation.

At NauticEd, we offer a free Navigation Rules online course to everyone. It very much discusses these types of scenarios where the stand-on vessel can quickly get itself into trouble by forcing the stand-on rules. When you look at the rules, the stand-on vessel has more obligations than the give-way vessel.
grantheadifen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 07:40   #105

Boat: Bavaria 36'

Firstly there is no “right of way”, there is a “stand on” and a “give way” vessel. I teach this stuff and my teaching says “stand on - with caution”. Secondly many channels are dredged and buoyed for large vessels and most leisure boats can operate outside of the marked channel. Lastly, you have some doubt about the other boat’s intentions, clearly he is joining the channel on your right and is obviously the stand on vessel. At night he would see a green light which means to him go ahead. You would see a red, surely you are not proposing to proceed on this regardless?

When in doubt keep out! Drive defensively. There are no give way or yield signs when joining the main road at sea.
Bill_Giles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rule