Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2020, 01:01   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Belize 43
Rules in Colobia for boat. Need info to make it easy...

Goodmorning everyone i am new in this forum.

I have a catamaran in Cartagena Colombia and the agency that deals with my permits told me that when the permits expire I have to navigate to a foreign country and then I can return to Colombia to get authorization to stay again in Cartagena. I use the my catamaran a little and I stay a lot on the ground.

MY QUESTION:

I know there are skippers who have not moved by sea with their boat but by bus or plane and who have brought ONLY documents for exaple to Panama and have obtained the necessary stamps and permits. They then returned to Colombia and were able to renew Colombian documents.
THIS INFORMATION IS TRUE ??
If someone can give me info and maybe a phone with WhatsApp to understand better. I don't want to move from Colombia and my navigation is short ... :-)
Gianniandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 18:02   #2

Boat: Frienship 40
Re: Rules in Colobia for boat. Need info to make it easy...

When your permit expires you have to travel to somewhere out of Colombia. At that moment you do not have a permit to stay. So, you have to leave.

You can come back to Colombia again and you will be issued another permit.

Getting the yachts's documents and your passport stamped on a foreign country without actually moving the yacht and yourself implies that you brake the law, that you simulates a trip that do not happens ans that you bribe immigration officers from another country to stamp the yacht's documents. It is an illegal action that may bring you consequences.

Some people do it; they take the risk.
Navarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 19:33   #3

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianniandrea View Post
Goodmorning everyone i am new in this forum.

I have a catamaran in Cartagena Colombia and the agency that deals with my permits told me that when the permits expire I have to navigate to a foreign country and then I can return to Colombia to get authorization to stay again in Cartagena. I use the my catamaran a little and I stay a lot on the ground.

MY QUESTION:

I know there are skippers who have not moved by sea with their boat but by bus or plane and who have brought ONLY documents for exaple to Panama and have obtained the necessary stamps and permits. They then returned to Colombia and were able to renew Colombian documents.
THIS INFORMATION IS TRUE ??
If someone can give me info and maybe a phone with WhatsApp to understand better. I don't want to move from Colombia and my navigation is short ... :-)
Take the boat to Panama, check in, then check out and come back. It's a two day trip each way, and easy sailing conditions. If you don't trust your abilities, hire a captain.

Otherwise, sell the boat and stick to land. Don't try to game the system, I don't think you'll like Columbian jail
Old 28-11-2020, 19:52   #4

Have you tried bribes?
Bribing is generally the way to go has been my experience.
$50 every three months to get my passport stamped out yesterday and back in today,,,,then off to port captain, was doing that for a few years. Not columbia but it's all the same in central or south america.
Ask the local expats, thats how to find out the who and how of it.
And dont be so naïve to think it's not how it works....oh....and US dollars!
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 19:57   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post
Have you tried bribes?
Bribing is generally the way to go has been my experience.
$50 every three months to get my passport stamped out yesterday and back in today,,,,then off to port captain, was doing that for a few years. Not columbia but it's all the same in central or south america.
Ask the local expats, thats how to find out the who and how of it.
And dont be so naïve to think it's not how it works....oh....and US dollars!
Certainly that is how it can work, but is that who you want to be? (I guess I know the answer to that).

Anyhow, I thought you left. Why don't you crawl back under your rock?
Old 28-11-2020, 20:50   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Certainly that is how it can work, but is that who you want to be? (I guess I know the answer to that).

Anyhow, I thought you left. Why don't you crawl back under your rock?
Ah, there's the hate!

Is that who you want to be,,,,ha, just what you are!

I only state the truth and the obvious.....and you.....just hate.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 05:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post
Ah, there's the hate!

Is that who you want to be,,,,ha, just what you are!

I only state the truth and the obvious.....and you.....just hate.
It's not hate, it's disgust.

It's disgusting when someone advocates paying bribes to a foreign (or any) official to be able to break the law.
Old 29-11-2020, 06:38   #8
cdy

Sorry but be careful with advice from posters who have never been to Colombia - - do not offer a bribe - while on occasion it might work - it could lead to big problems - fines, boat being impounded and having to pay a bigger fine to get it back - also dollars aren't wanted( its not Venezuela) its pesos. Also I assume the OP is in Colombia under a tourist visa - you are limited to 180 days in a calendar year - you can't just leave and reset that - once your 180 days is up - you need to leave.
cdy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, rule