Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2011, 16:11   #1

Boat: Bavaria Vision 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Kojiro
Registration Ideas

I live in Australia but will be departing for in excess of 12 months.
I hold an Australian passport and a UK passport.
I just bought a boat in Greece and one day will get it back to Australia....maybe late 2014.
I'd like to buy an extra 12 months when back to Australia before having to import or leave forever.
Registering as a UK vessel creates possible VAT problems (boat is currently VAT unpaid and can stay so given I bought it as an Australian).

Do I have any other registration options that might help me avoid immediate import duties, and GST when I eventually hit Australia?

Any ideas, or thoughts I might follow up on?
Kojiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:58   #2

Boat: Peterson 46
Re: Registration Ideas

As an Ozzie passport holder, I think you have no option but to import when you arrive.Check it out at both the Customs and the AMSA websites
rusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:14   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Not sure of Aussie rules if you are a passport holder, but you may want to consider registering a company in another country, putting the title in the company name, and registering the boat where it makes most sense for you.

In that way, there is no direct connection of ownership between you and the boat.

There may be other complications, so check with your lawyer and accountant to ensure you are not in contravention of other applicable laws.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:58   #4

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojiro View Post
I just bought a boat in Greece and one day will get it back to Australia....maybe late 2014.
I'd like to buy an extra 12 months when back to Australia before having to import or leave forever.
Registering as a UK vessel creates possible VAT problems (boat is currently VAT unpaid and can stay so given I bought it as an Australian).

Do I have any other registration options that might help me avoid immediate import duties, and GST when I eventually hit Australia?

Hi my wife and i are just completing the purchase of our Lagoon 44 ex Anapolis, as dual nationality holders Aus and UK we are perm residents of Aust, it is a requirement of Aussie nationality to register any vessel of foreign going ability as an Aussie boat.
GST will be diminished by the direct costs of travelling back to Australia, depreciation of the term taken, Air flights back and forth to the vessel etc etc. At the end of the day it's 10% so not a biggie! Then your vessel in Australia has a higher resale value probably equalling what you paid for it. Just my thoughts good luck.
Old 02-12-2011, 22:51   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojiro View Post

Considering that you are trying to work the system to your advantage, I suggest you get advice from maritime law, tax and importation professionals but I suspect they will advise you to just do it by the book.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
registration