Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2018, 09:53   #1

Boat: Symbol Pilot House 52
reentry to US from Bahamas cruise

Can't find a thread on this nor an answer on the net. We are in the Abacos and getting ready to head back to the states on our boat. What do we need to do going back? We are US citizens, have all that Bahama entry paperwork, cruising permit etc. But can't seem to find out what we do headed back to Stuart. Fly yellow quarantine flag? Go to shore like coming to Bahamas?

Thanks for the help!!
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 10:09   #2

Re: reentry to US from Bahamas cruise

Let's see, I typed "returning to the US by boat" into this funky new webpage called "google" and the first answer is this page:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/pleasure-...-boat-overview

Pretty much everything you need to know...
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 10:11   #3

Thank you Bill! everything i got was referring to cruise ships
Old 24-04-2018, 10:38   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

If you do this type of trip frequently, consider getting a Small Vessel Reporting System (SVRS) registration. If all members of the crew have it, and the boat's registered as well, you can skip most of the check-in and often don't have to show up in person. There's no fee, and you've already given the government most of the information anyhow with your passport application. By the way, this works well in Florida, but every ICE district is different (go figure!), so this may not apply to all.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 10:40   #5

Thanks John! that is the way i will go once we get back to Fl
Old 24-04-2018, 10:44   #6

Entry Ports, like Fort Pierce etc, have the Customs number posted near the office. You call and tell them you are entering. They will give you instructions. Depending on your paper work, SVRS etc, you will have different instructions.
However years ago I called and they were sending someone out to inspect. They never showed. I never did anything else. A year later I got a nasty gram in the mail at home warning me I never checked in properly.
This may be old news though so keep that in mind.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 10:47   #7

Thanks! We will just "bump" through as how ever we need.
Old 24-04-2018, 11:07   #8

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Not sure if this affects anything, but I was in Stuart last week and the local paper had an article about the new customs and immigration building under construction at the airport? and how it will soon be easier for people to clear in, in Stuart. Don’t know if that means you can’t clear in there now. I cleared in at West Palm, but had the “sticker” so it was just a phone call.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 11:13   #9

that's good to know. i guess i will be calling Stuart before we possibly waste a trip there
thanks
Old 25-04-2018, 05:50   #10

Boat: 1978 Bristol 29.9 #113

I think you can do it all vía the Roam app now.
pmagistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 06:35   #11

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy View Post
that's good to know. i guess i will be calling Stuart before we possibly waste a trip there
thanks
St Lucie Inlet can be tricky. Unless you have run it several times previously, make sure you pick a good day, lots of sun, slack tide, small swell and follow one of the local sportfish thru the inlet - If you can keep up!
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 06:48   #12

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
St Lucie Inlet can be tricky. Unless you have run it several times previously, make sure you pick a good day, lots of sun, slack tide, small swell and follow one of the local sportfish thru the inlet - If you can keep up!

100% Make sure you call a boat that knows the area on VHF and ask to follow them in the first time.

West Palm Beach inlet is really easy and they have customs/immigration right on the West side of the ICW. It is the tall (5 story?) building right next to the commercial docks.

Matt
Old 25-04-2018, 08:25   #13

Location: On the boat; Bahamas November-May, East Coast of US May to November
Boat: Beneteau 49

Pmagistro is correct - there is a new CBP app called ROAM (free). I have not used it yet, but someone on Bahamas Chatter used it just recently and said it worked like a charm. We have an SVRS number (you have to apply for it through CBP), filed our float plan, called the SVRS and got clearance in two seconds. If you don’t have an SVRS number, then you will need to get to one of the approved facilities for clearance. Last year, we spent over a $100 doing an Uber round trip from Port St. Lucie to the Treasure Coast International airport - a complete joke. Everyone on the boat has to show up with passports, they grunt at you, copy your passports, and say all set. So if you do have to go somewhere, make sure you get as close as possible to a facility where you can clear. You can get that info on line. I think the Treasure Coast International airport is the closest check in spot from Stuart, so you might be better off landing in Fort Pierce. Hope that helps.
Nickodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 09:47   #14

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
If you do this type of trip frequently, consider getting a Small Vessel Reporting System (SVRS) registration. If all members of the crew have it, and the boat's registered as well, you can skip most of the check-in and often don't have to show up in person. There's no fee, and you've already given the government most of the information anyhow with your passport application. By the way, this works well in Florida, but every ICE district is different (go figure!), so this may not apply to all.
And if you do this frequently, also consider getting Global Entry. Makes the SVRS process even easier - I learned this when I had a crew member with a Global Entry (GOES) number and I didn't. Filling out his SVRS information was as simple as entering his GOES number, whereas I had to complete multi-pages of on-line forms. Also, my experience in returning to Fort Pierce is that you have to call the ICE phone number about 30 times to get someone to answer, but eventually they do.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 10:27   #15

Boat: 1979 Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy View Post
Can't find a thread on this nor an answer on the net. We are in the Abacos and getting ready to head back to the states on our boat. What do we need to do going back? We are US citizens, have all that Bahama entry paperwork, cruising permit etc. But can't seem to find out what we do headed back to Stuart. Fly yellow quarantine flag? Go to shore like coming to Bahamas?

Thanks for the help!!

Expanding this to include traveling info for all countries, a good link to reference is noonsite.com. For this specific question, after you pick a country, check on the left for a list under the heading: Formalities.
macman4190 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, cruise