Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2018, 13:34   #16

Re: reentry to US from Bahamas cruise

If you have a US passport, and are based at the place to which you are returning, I would just return and keep my mouth shut. If they contact you, just give them your best head slap, chin pull, and "I'm sorry. I didn't realize".
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 14:14   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchaway View Post
If you have a US passport, and are based at the place to which you are returning, I would just return and keep my mouth shut. If they contact you, just give them your best head slap, chin pull, and "I'm sorry. I didn't realize".
Before you start giving legal advice, you might want to consider the risks to this skipper that just wants to do things legally. These US (and other country's) reporting requirements are not just suggestions, but written into Federal law (U.S. Code), quoted below. The short of it is, if you don't follow their rules, they can fine you, take your boat, and throw your a$$ in jail for years. Perhaps you can save a taxi fare and a little time, but in my risk-reward balance, it's not worth the constant worry.

Learn and follow the rules for proper reporting of small vessel arrivals:
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/pleasure-...-boat-overview

§ 1433. Report of arrival of vessels, vehicles, and aircraft
(a) Vessel arrival
(1) Immediately upon the arrival at any port
or place within the United States or the Virgin
Islands of—
(A) any vessel from a foreign port or place;
(B) any foreign vessel from a domestic port;
(C) any vessel of the United States carrying foreign merchandise for which entry has not been made; or
(D) any vessel which has visited a hovering vessel or received merchandise while outside the territorial sea;
the master of the vessel shall report the arrival at the nearest customs facility or such other place as the Secretary may prescribe by regulations.

Excerpt from Title 19 U.S.C. 1436 concerning failure to comply with Title 19 U.S.C. 1433 which states you must report ...
(b) Civil penalty
Any master, person in charge of a vehicle, or aircraft pilot who commits any violation listed in subsection (a) of this section is liable for a civil penalty of $5,000 for the first violation, and $10,000 for each subsequent violation, and any conveyance used in connection with any such violation is subject to seizure and forfeiture.
(c) Criminal penalty
In addition to being liable for a civil penalty under subsection (b) of this section, any master, person in charge of a vehicle, or aircraft pilot
who intentionally commits any violation listed in subsection (a) of this section is, upon conviction, liable for a fine of not more than $2,000 or imprisonment for 1 year, or both; except that if the conveyance has, or is discovered to have had, on board any merchandise (other than sea stores or the equivalent for conveyances other than vessels) the importation of which into the United States is prohibited, such individual is liable for an additional fine of not more than $10,000 or imprisonment for not more than 5 years, or both.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 14:22   #18
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmagistro View Post
I think you can do it all vía the Roam app now.
Yes. CPB ROAM. They prefer it via the app, so I've heard.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 14:57   #19

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

OY.

We are members of the frequent boater program. We have a decal which we get on years (the last 4) in which we expect to return to the US.

We file a float plan. We are given a number for that float plan, which connects to our individual (crew members and/or guests who also can get a number).

When we are in range of the US, we call the toll free number. They ask us for the float plan number. They confirm our passenger list. They say thanks for calling and not bothering immigration or customs folks, who are pretty busy (effectively).

I don't recall if they give us a completion number but if not, the above is the total extent of our return obligations.

YMMV, and there may be other options, but - apparently, as we've done nothing to deserve it - TSA knows us, too, as our checking in when flying is via the "pre" line, which is stamped on our boarding passes; in major airports that is a significant time and convenience saver. Keep your shoes, your laptop in its case, and so on, like it used to be....
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 18:52   #20

Boat: Catalina 355, 34.5ft

I've done this several times the last was coming into Lake Worth Inlet late one evening, got a slip at Riviera Beach Marina and next day to customs where FunJohnson above mentioned. My advise is DON'T
Horrible experience!
Obnoxious fat guy with guns, badges and patches all over him and an air of urgent importance demanding why I did not call last night, did I bring any cash into the country? Yes, $538 that was left over from what I took out. Demanding and suspiciously inquiring Any fruits? Yes, two bananas...and on and on.
A Bahamian guy checking in ahead of us was subjected to similar abuse for which I as an American apologized.
I wanted to tell this amateur Government guy "you know the crooks, drug smugglers and terrorist never check in here".
I didn't but I think I too will never again check in either. What a JOKE!
jslayton321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 20:18   #21

Cutting corners on check-in seems fine - until it isn't. And then it gets very bad very quickly. These laws are all Federal laws so violating them is a felony that will stick with you the rest of your life. And they really could take your boat. Bahamas Customs has probably already told US Customs you are in the Bahamas so they know about you.

SVRS and now Roam are great but you have to set it up well in advance (months). You also are supposed to purchase an annual decal before leaving if your boat is longer than 30ft. That also takes a few months.

So you get to clear the "old fashioned way" that's worked fine for decades. Plan to dock close to a Customs Office. You will be going there or they will be sending a agent to you. Call the local office the moment you are secured. I think West Palm is easiest in Florida as it's only a short walk from a marina. They may or may not tell you to call a Florida 800 number. The rules seem to move around a bit.

Because you don't have a decal, you will have to pay about $30 for a one time entry permit and fill out a form for it. You and each crew member will need to present your passports and fill out a form and be asked questions - just like arriving at an airport from outside the US. You also need the boat papers as the boat has to be cleared too.

I've never had a bad agent but these guys (and women) aren't hired for their sense of humor. When I checked in two years ago at Cape Canaveral after a tough crossing the agent smiled and said "Welcome Home". It felt good.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 06:29   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
St Lucie Inlet can be tricky. Unless you have run it several times previously, make sure you pick a good day, lots of sun, slack tide, small swell and follow one of the local sportfish thru the inlet - If you can keep up!
Is it depth or rocks or what? Is it a problem for 1 meter draft? Currents?
trifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 06:58   #23

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by trifan View Post
Is it depth or rocks or what? Is it a problem for 1 meter draft? Currents?
Shifting sand is the issue here. Sounds nice and soft, but it isn't when you're dropped on it from any kind of swell. They try to keep up with the buoys, but often they are off after a big blow and don't get moved in time. The locals that use the inlet often know when these shifts occur and you can follow their trails in (we use AIS tracks of multiple boats to confirm location).

Matt
Old 26-04-2018, 10:48   #24

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

St. Lucie Inlet isn't really that bad, like most inlets need to watch conditions. I have been in and out numerous times, and actually have been out in my kayak there quite a bit also. Steady stream of boats in and out all the time. Watch any temporary buoys. I find the bigger challenge is navigating through 4 Corners once inside. Current can push you sideways out of the channel very easily, happened to me drawing 5.5 feet. Had to kedge off. Keep looking fore and aft as you go through, making sure you are staying in the channel. Watch buoys, keep in mind you have the ICW running north and south, and the beginning of the St Lucie river, and you just came in the inlet, most markers are temporary.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 21:09   #25

Boat: Catalina 30

Thanks to macman for enlightening me to Noonsite.com Here is a recent post regarding SVRS.

US Customs & Border Protection: New Small Boat Reporting Procedures Now In Effect

We took possession of Allie Cat in Indiantown and took the canal to Port St Lucie from which to get out off-shore. Although I could see the characteristics, (shoals), of the inlet I just followed the markers and other boats. Glad I hadn't read how treacherous it is! J/K
iyamwhatiyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 06:05   #26

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy View Post
Can't find a thread on this nor an answer on the net. We are in the Abacos and getting ready to head back to the states on our boat. What do we need to do going back? We are US citizens, have all that Bahama entry paperwork, cruising permit etc. But can't seem to find out what we do headed back to Stuart. Fly yellow quarantine flag? Go to shore like coming to Bahamas?

Thanks for the help!!
See (click on) Understanding US Entry Requirements for Yachts
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 06:15   #27

Boat: Symbol Pilot House 52

OK, we got in late yesterday into St Lucie Inlet(yes it can be tricky at low tide but moving slow, follow markers carefully and right at dusk) doing the customs thing today. Of course not sure where we are going or where we need to go to as the "new" facility opens in May(maybe?).
don't want to lose my home(boat) and will do what ever we need. trying to down load the ROAM app to see if i can handle that way.
Thanks for all the help!! Last night we were too pooped to deal with customs as we ran a 12 hour run across Bahamas and Gulf- dog did not like that one bit- especially when engines went down for 30 minutes.
My husband said this boating stuff was gonna be fun!! -- where's my cocktail???
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 07:18   #28

Boat: LIPARI 41

Just came back and used the new customs phone app ROAM just filled in passengers and passport # and was able to check in on my phone
seaclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 07:20   #29

Boat: Symbol Pilot House 52

tried to do the ROAM app but you have to buy a "trip" decal and have just spent 2 hours trying to get it to work
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 07:40   #30

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

As others have said, filling out paper work ahead of time, makes re-entry easier,, but if you haven't, I'd suggest arriving an a port of entry with a customs, otherwise you may find yourself having to dock the boat and pay for a taxi or uber ride. Yes, custom's can be a real pain, and be slow, but I most certainly wouldn't just skip this legal requirement these days.

I used to store my boat in Indiantown so used the St. Lucie Inlet often. It does change from time to time, but in my experience was always well marked, and fairly straight forward at least during daylight hours. I even entered under sail after my first time due to engine problems. However, it's certainly not as straight forward as inlets like Lake Worth, and again, I wouldn't arrive here if you didn't do all the previous paperwork.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, cruise