Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2013, 14:51   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Reclaiming VAT

Hi All:

I am having my engine repowered in Italy. The company that is doing the work is requiring that I pay VAT. I am a US Citizen. I was wondering if I am able to reclaim the VAT if I take the boat out of the country after I have it repowered. For instance if I go from Italy to France. Does anyone know where I would find the answer to this question? The amount is ~Euro 2,000. If I have to hire someone to process the paperwork, depending on what they charge, it may not be worth it. But 2k is 2k.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 14:56   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Reclaiming VAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Hi All:

I am having my engine repowered in Italy. The company that is doing the work is requiring that I pay VAT. I am a US Citizen. I was wondering if I am able to reclaim the VAT if I take the boat out of the country after I have it repowered. For instance if I go from Italy to France. Does anyone know where I would find the answer to this question? The amount is ~Euro 2,000. If I have to hire someone to process the paperwork, depending on what they charge, it may not be worth it. But 2k is 2k.
in the uk you can get a vat reclaim form at any airport,which you send off with the relevant recipts and your foreign bank a/c details on departure from the uk.
i would assume italy has a simmilar system
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 14:59   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Reclaiming VAT

By EU law the vendor/fittter of the engine should supply you with the relevant paperwork/forms or at the least info to re-claim VAT paid on a transient vessel... give em a head to head talk...
Sometimes it pays to get 'Pissy'..
Then again... down to the Italian laws... UK/Spain/Portugal.. but Papa/Mafialand... sigh

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 15:27   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41

Thanks Atoll and Boatman. You know the information is all on the internet sometimes you just have to know how to ask the question. This is worth a try but I'm not sure if it will work. I have located the correct form (it is in Italian) here http://www.agenziaentrate.gov.it/wps...6dbfc065cef0e8 I am going to provide it to the vendor and ask him to fill out the form. From there I need to get it to a Customs agent to have them sign it as I leave the country. There is a problem in that I am not supposed to use the product that I am claiming a refund for until after I leave the country. This may be difficult with an engine but then again it is a sail boat and I guess I am in international waters when I am 3 miles (or is it 12) offshore. If it gets to be too much of a hassle I am going to have to let it go b/c it can spoil a vacation. But it is worth a try.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 15:44   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

that looks like the bizness,just get them to fill in the details and stamp it,together with your reciepts and customs clearance and bank details and you should be good to go!

not sure if a customs agent is needed,but worth having a chat with an agency at the local port of departure,supa yots doit all the time
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 15:46   #6

Boat: Outremer 50S

Worth the effort. I did a bunch of travel in Italy, and went through the process several times. Probably easier for me going through an airport where they're used to it, but really not that difficult. Italians seem to appreciate someone desiring to not pay taxes

In my experience they were real sticklers for having all of the vendor's information (name, address, telephone, and tax number). That should be printed on the fattura, if it's not pressure the vendor into printing one with all of that information. Not legal in Italy to conduct business without a fattura, and not legal to have a fattura without the information as that is how the tax man tracks things (so naturally, issuing receipts/fattura without is how vendors try to dodge taxes). Other than that you just fill out the form, get it signed and submitted on departure and collect your refund.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 15:49   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Reclaiming VAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Worth the effort. I did a bunch of travel in Italy, and went through the process several times. Probably easier for me going through an airport where they're used to it, but really not that difficult. Italians seem to appreciate someone desiring to not pay taxes

In my experience they were real sticklers for having all of the vendor's information (name, address, telephone, and tax number). That should be printed on the fattura, if it's not pressure the vendor into printing one with all of that information. Not legal in Italy to conduct business without a fattura, and not legal to have a fattura without the information as that is how the tax man tracks things (so naturally, issuing receipts/fattura without is how vendors try to dodge taxes). Other than that you just fill out the form, get it signed and submitted on departure and collect your refund.
Exatimo....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote