Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2014, 12:48   #196

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Rebel Heart Lawsuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Or we could charge $0.01 per word penalty (or Tax as Judge Roberts calls it now) and donate it to the "Buy Rebel Heart a new 50ft Cat fund"...heck then they could drop this ridiculous lawsuit and get on with rebuilding their lives.
I don't even follow this thread, Mr. B., but I do pop in to see how long it's gotten. Probably not so long as to buy a cat for the Kaufmans, even the four-legged kind.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 25-07-2014, 12:54   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnone View Post
Seems foolish to think we can't know things without having done them. I'm a father and wouldn't plan a big road trip in populated areas of ConUS with sick little kids, let alone a trip across the Pacific. Do I need to cruise with kids in a sailboat to make a judgement here?

Seems that they are lucky to all be alive after the rash of mistakes. World's finest Navy to the rescue. (Former Navy guy myself).

Then to sue and have a good chance of profiting from their mistakes. It rubs many the wrong way. It fails the 'what would reasonable people think' test.

Yes, from the info I have read and seen, the phone provider messed up.
Did they cause the problem here? I say they did not.

911 doesn't even work across all of the USA. I can't imagine a SAT phone provider would be expected to have emergency # for free, but it would be nice.

Lawsuits can have positive outcomes but also can raise the price of the service and put providers out of business sometimes for stupid reasons.

I hope these kids survive their upbringing. Probably be stronger for it.

When I first read your post, it passed my common sense test. No outlandish claims, nothing unreasonable in it.

I agree with you, I wouldn't have taken a journey across the Pacific with a 3 yr old and a 13 month old, too much effort involved in dealing with them, essentially leaving Eric to basically single hand it all by himself, she was totally absorbed in the children and her own seasickness.

But let's ignore the kids for a moment and concentrate on why he bought the sat phone. Despite his claim that the sat phone was for work (maybe so he could write off the bill) there is no doubt in my mind that I view that piece of equipment as a piece of safety gear, like an EPIRB or a PLB.

Now I put myself in his shoes, and everything starts going downhill fast and I decide to call for help on the sat phone and find out it's not working due to a SIM card replacement... or I push the EPIRB button and it doesn't work... then I try the PLB and that doesn't work...

at this point, I'm going to be so angry I'll be able to row the boat back to shore in order to personally strangle whoever is responsible for the failure of these 3 devices.

But seriously, if you had a sat phone and it didn't work when you needed it most, you wouldn't make them pay? I wouldn't expect to get reimbursed for the cost of the boat, but at least something to let them know that they screwed up, and screwing up with emergency equipment should cost the screwup some pain.

I agree that the phone didn't directly cause any of the damage or make the child sick, but if they still had comms to the doctor, it may have changed the course of their decisions.
Old 25-07-2014, 13:14   #198

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Yep...the diaper/sink incident was in their blog.
So you know for a fact the baby had typhoid fever (this is the type of salmonella that is passed through feces)?

If the baby didn't, then then washing the diapers in the sink had nothing to do with it.
Old 25-07-2014, 14:21   #199

There are like 2000 strains of salmonella divided into two categories: typhoid and non- typhoid. http://www.ehow.com/facts_5448493_types-salmonella.html

"More than 2,300 types of salmonella have been identified, but the two most common--salmonella enteritidis and salmonella typhimurium--are to blame for more than half of the infections in humans."

Both categories are shed in feces for an undetermined amount of time.

http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/docs/dph/d...monellosis.rtf (non-Typhoid Salmonellosis):

"The disease is communicable for as long as the infected person excretes Salmonella bacteria in his/her stool. This can last from days to months, depending on the serovar, but rarely lasts more than one year. Treatment with antibiotics can prolong carriage by suppressing competing bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract."

The diaper issue is a valid point.

The washing of diapers with Salmonella shedding in the galley sink happened after Dr. Jose Cuervo supposedly cleared the kids for sailing across the Pacific. If Lyra was reinfected, Charlotte's actions could be speculated (probably not proven at this point) to have caused the second illness/antibiotic resistant/relapse, whatever the case may be, which the caused the needing to speak to the flight surgeon... Etc etc etc.
Old 25-07-2014, 14:22   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
So you know for a fact the baby had typhoid fever (this is the type of salmonella that is passed through feces)?

If the baby didn't, then then washing the diapers in the sink had nothing to do with it.
From Wiki, these are all passed through fecal matter. Seems obvious to many that **** and food prep should be separated as best as possible.
Fecal-oral route - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Poliomyelitis
Norovirus acute gastroenteritis
Giardiasis[1]
Hepatitis A[2]
Hepatitis E[3]
Rotavirus[4] Most of these pathogens cause gastroenteritis.
Shigellosis (bacillary dysentery)[5]
Typhoid fever[6]
Vibrio parahaemolyticus infections[7]
Enteroviruses
Cholera
Clostridium difficile
Cryptosporidiosis
Ascariasis
Old 25-07-2014, 14:56   #201

"Salmonella can be spread from person to person by poor hygiene, by failing to wash your hands properly after going to the toilet, or after handling contaminated food."

"If someone has salmonella, wash all dirty clothes, bedding and towels in the washing machine on the hottest cycle possible. Clean toilet seats, toilet bowls, flush handles, taps and wash hand basins after use with detergent and hot water, followed by a household disinfectant."
HPA - Salmonella

Washing diapers with salmonella bacteria shedding in a galley sink with cold water can be argued to be poor hygene. I suppose she could have rinsed with boiling kettle water followed by a good beaching, but the act of putting the salmonella diapers in the galley sink in the first place is a very questionable move in my opinion.

We are a medical professional family and this point really stands out to me.
Old 25-07-2014, 15:04   #202
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I think if this ever goes to court..... Both sides will argue that "**** happens"
Old 25-07-2014, 16:52   #203
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post

Absolutely Not....Nor did I SAY that....all I said was what I know to be true. She blogged about washing the baby's diaper in the sink. Don't jump to conclusuins about typhoid fever for the love of Pete! I never said or implyed that...others may have...but not me.
Old 25-07-2014, 17:15   #204
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Gotta love CF - Now we are arguing chemical make up of poop!
Old 25-07-2014, 17:18   #205

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Hey a lot of us sling enough of it on here on a daily basis so it was bound to happen that we broke it down to a molecular level
Old 26-07-2014, 01:43   #206

Boat: Moody 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
That is exactly my thought. Having said that, I have never read one, and after all this that I have seen on here, I never will.

Coops.
It's a shame to hear that and the cynicism expressed here generally about blogs.

While I agree with what SV Third Day says about taking it all with a grain of salt there are some wonderful blogs out there.

I am familiar with several that are written with the best of intentions by good sailors with a lot to contribute who don't earn much if even a cent(or at the most maybe a free anchor )

I don't want to mention them and bring them into a discussion they didn't invite but they are there and for a lot of us they can be a good resource.
Old 26-07-2014, 01:50   #207
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
don't you mean "airing of dirty laundry"
Old 26-07-2014, 02:43   #208

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Well, Dan,

I think your thread has degenerated into..................off subject..........finished.

Ann
Old 26-07-2014, 03:01   #209

Boat: Shannon 38 Ketch

I wonder what Sir Frances Chichester, Hal Roth,Sir Robin Knox Johnson, Sterling Hayden, or Joshua Slocum would say about say about all this?
Old 26-07-2014, 03:07   #210
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Luke View Post
I wonder what Sir Frances Chichester, Hal Roth,Sir Robin Knox Johnson, Sterling Hayden, or Joshua Slocum would say about say about all this?
"children are best broiled untill tender?"
Closed Thread