Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2019, 14:00   #1

Boat: Hunter 356
Purchasing a new outboard in the Bahamas

A question for the armchair lawyers out there. I read many threads of folks buying new 15HP Yamaha 2-strokes in the Bahamas. Is the motor considered used by the time you re-enter the US and is it necessary to declare it to customs? I'm particularly interested what the law is pertaining to non-US flagged vessels. Additionally, can you legally import a 2-stroke into the US, given that they cannot be bought there? If it's not allowed to be imported and you declare, I assume they will deny entry to the motor.

I know many will say "just don't declare" but I'm actually interested in knowing what the law says.
Old 05-11-2019, 17:32   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Purchasing a new outboard in the Bahamas

You cannot import a two stroke into the US, when I was in Indonesia and even South America there were several little motorcycles I would have loved to bring back, but you canít. You can try to be slick and take it apart and bring in parts, Maybe you could get away with that.
That would be by shipping, but bringing it on a boat is different, thereís no bill of lading etc.

Many, many people bring back Yamaha 15 two strokes, thatís how they get here, itís such a small number that Iím sure CBP doesnít care, because no one has made an official complaint, yet. But let some fool in the Friends of the Earth etc. figure it out and they will drop a lawsuit on the Feds and then they would be looking.
Basically itís a donít ask, donít tell kind of thing, but itís illegal, no question about that.

Now not being a US flagged vessel, Iíd say your not importing it, your visiting and it leaves with you when you do.
Surely non US vessels donít have to meet US emissions?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, outboard, purchasing